I want to feel the burn!

Options
hypallage
hypallage Posts: 624 Member
Well, I have now completed B3 on stage 1 and I am yet to feel it in my muscles the following day....I get that feeling from quite a few things that I do, why aren't I getting it from lifting?

I started workout 1 with the following weights: Now working with
Squats 45lb 72.6lb
Bent over rows 28.6lb 37.4lb
Push ups @ 30 degrees still at 30, working on bringing in elbows more!
Step-ups, low step 2 x 17.6lb high step - 2 x 17.6lb

Deadlift 58.5lb 77.5lb
Shoulder press: 28.6lb 37.4lb
Lateral raise 17.7lb 19.8lb
Lunge 2 x 17.6lb 2 x 17.6

I am struggling to get the last rep in on some exercises, I failed on the last one this morning on shoulder press. I didn't start off overly heavy on squats & deadlifts as I have a bad knee - feeling it but not hurting it at the moment. I just don't feel it the next day....
I kind of like that feeling of having done something!!

Replies

• hypallage
    Options
    Anyone got any ideas?
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    maybe you are just an awesome weight-lifting beast?! :glasses:
  • hypallage
    Options
    maybe you are just an awesome weight-lifting beast?! :glasses:

hahah - thanks....:blushing:

Pretty sure I'm not though - I generally ache from everything else!!!
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're well-conditioned already?

Or you can try going slower on your reps???

I really have no idea... just throwing stuff out there :flowerforyou:
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It happens to me. The first week I was kinda sore but this week I have almost no soreness.
  • hypallage
    Options

Or you can try going slower on your reps???

I really have no idea... just throwing stuff out there :flowerforyou:

I will certainly try this - don't think I'm going quickly, but I can certainly slow down. :)
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Im in a similar boat, I definitely know on a few of mine, I can increase the weights since I can still go beyond the 15 reps when Im done.. but for some, Im barely hitting the 15 without feeling it, so I know Im where I should be at this stage..
    I think for a lot of us, we think that it should have to hurt in order to know its working, but I dont think thats the case..You shouldnt be dying at the end of your sets, but you should feel like one or two more would just about do you in... if you dont feel soreness the next day, Id say thats a good thing:).. just means you dont spend the next day hunched over going "oooooohhhhh..." at every move:)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    hypa - I wouldn't go by how "sore" you are as any meaning that you are doing well, or not well.

It sounds like you are doing everything right - you are lifting to failure. You are using proper form. You are not injuring yourself.

Continue to go up and up in your weights and continue to monitor your inches with a tape measure to see what is happening.

It all sounds very good, to me - I'd avoid DOMS if *I* could, that's for sure, lol!!
  • hypallage
    Options
    Thank you Beeps - what is DOMS though?!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You'll feel it when you get to 3 sets. The 2 sets throws everyone accustomed to lifting for a loop.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    "DOMS" = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness....

I'm in the midst of it, right now....and, I am SORE - which just makes me GRUMPY - so say "hallelujah" that YOU (at this minute) do NOT HAVE DOMS!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Just got back from doing 6a and let me tell ya, I went from being one of those "i'm just not feeling the burn when I do prone jackknifes" to struggling to get them done at this point. That 3rd set after doing all the other sets of lifts is killer. KILLER! There was so much sweat on the floor I was afraid I couldn't keep from slipping there for a minute.
  • hypallage
    Options
    Okay - went kayaking today, lifted yesterday and although my muscles weren't sore they were feeling very weak! Full day kayaking today & again tomorrow.... I think I might well ache!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I noticed as I transition into new stages, 1 into 2 and 2 into 3, my muscles cry the first couple days, but once they adjust to the new movements, I tend to not be sore.
  • hypallage
    Options
    Well, I did my first lot of 3 sets of 10 yesterday.....(I effectively deadlifted my body weight 15 times)

today I feel it :smile:
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    nice job!!