Question regarding fat loss/muscle gain...

Options
grimm1974
grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
So, I saw yesterday that a popular debate on MFP, and beyond, is whether or not it is possible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit diet. I've really never thought of it before, so I did a bunch of research on it yesterday to try to separate fact from fiction. Like many other debates on nutrition and fitness, it seems there is a pretty even split between those who believe in it and those who don't. There are equally as many studies, but each with its own flaws that keep the question from really being answered.

I see most of the people who post on here use the Scooby workout site. I know that site believe it is very well possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. So, I was curious to what people's opinion are here on the subject? I'm guessing most believe it is possible after digging through some of the posts regarding your training regiment and results.

From what I can tell, there are a handful of things both sides agree on:
1. People with high body fat% can at least gain some muscle mass.
2. Beginners or returning bodybuilders will also gain some muscle mass.
3. At a minimum, it helps you maintain what you already have.

Personally, if just those 3 things are true then that is enough for me to concentrate on it. According to my calculations, I currently have 172-177lbs of LBM. If I can maintain a good portion of that until I hit 197lbs, then I'll be perfectly content. However, I would be curious as to whether or not anyone here who has lost a significant amount of weight has seen better results than expected while losing weight.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Well, yes huge debate right there...I am learning too and have read exactly what you posted here....but I like to talk from my experience because I am walking through it...I found that there were times where the scale didn't move hardly at all but I was leaning out, becoming way more defined and it appeared that muscles were just popping up. So I thought to myself, it is almost like I am exchanging fat while gaining muscle....so I actually asked Kiki forever ago about it...and her response was that when I was heavier I carried around muscle because I was carrying weight(an obese person has a lot of muscle mass to carry the weight), well what tends to happen when you restrict diet and have high cardio burns, a lot of the weight loss is muscle tissue. Well, I was lifting heavy and restricting diet, so the muscle I had, I may of lost some, but I was still lifting and then started eating too...so there was muscle underneath but I couldn't see it...so I retained most of it with the increase in not only calories but protein too. Protein builds helps to build muscle. I will say during my cut, I gained a half inch on my biceps...so...

So, who really knows for sure right, but worst case lets say you get to keep significantly more of your lean muscle mass and not gain any at all and you lift heavy...think about when you burn off the FAT...all that nice defined muscle. Well worth it!!!
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Based on my results, I am losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously. I've lost about 27 pounds of fat, but gained about 5 of muscle since January. I fall into the categories of having a high body fat % and being relatively new to strength training, so at best I offer evidence that the stuff both sides agree on seems to be true, at least with some people. I'm interested to see what others have to say on the subject :)
  • grimm1974
    Options
    Yeah that is how I tend to think about it after doing the research. I was around 315lbs and I lost 30lbs very quickly. I'm guessing I may have loss a good amount of muscle during that period. If I can hang on to most of what I have and tone up then that is really my goal. I'm 37 years old and married so I'm really not out to impress anyone. I'm just aiming for being in good shape.
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this as well. I've been stagnating at the same weight for about 3 weeks. I thought that I was either at a plateau or I found my maintenance level. Thinking about it and reading up on others' posts about this, I realize that I'm currently in an exchange phase. I am noticing my legs becoming more defined everyday. I was concerned that I needed to shave off some of the exercise calories I'd been consuming, but now that I have confirmation that I'm on the right track, I won't change a thing. I know it's difficult to not concentrate on what the scale says, but I'd rather listen to my mirror anyway.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is how I tend to think about it after doing the research. I was around 315lbs and I lost 30lbs very quickly. I'm guessing I may have loss a good amount of muscle during that period. If I can hang on to most of what I have and tone up then that is really my goal. I'm 37 years old and married so I'm really not out to impress anyone. I'm just aiming for being in good shape.

So you want to impress the wife :)

j/k

I would have to say at some level I have to be gaining something right now. I have lost 3lbs at most on the EMTWL, however I have lost almost 1.75" off my belly and 1.5" of my neck.

Fat is going somewhere....but the weight is staying relatively the same.
  • grimm1974
    Options

j/k

I would have to say at some level I have to be gaining something right now. I have lost 3lbs at most on the EMTWL, however I have lost almost 1.75" off my belly and 1.5" of my neck.

Though she hasn't said anything, I get the feeling that the wife is more annoyed than impressed by all the working out.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

j/k

Though she hasn't said anything, I get the feeling that the wife is more annoyed than impressed by all the working out.

Lol my girlfriend things I am going to leave her for a skinny blonde tart if I lose 90lbs.... /sigh
  • grimm1974
    Options

Lol my girlfriend things I am going to leave her for a skinny blonde tart if I lose 90lbs.... /sigh

Yeah, I get the feeling my wife feels like she should be doing it to just because I'm doing it. I don't think she thinks I'm going to leave or anything, but I think she just feels the pressure to do it.

In all honesty, other than doing it for myself i am really doing it for my daughter. I know kids generally pick up the habits of the parents. I really didn't think much about the boys because they tend to ignore watching what I eat and stay in good shape. However, my daughter has mocked everything I do since she was 2 years old including my eating habits. Its kinds tough growing up overweight as a boy, but for girls it can be downright brutal.

Now, when I am exercising, my 3 year old daughter is there right beside me doing her version of push ups. She keeps showing me how big her muscles are getting. She is also eating healthier snacks with me. She even did the majority of a 2 mile walk with me. She is my big motivator right now.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

Yeah, I get the feeling my wife feels like she should be doing it to just because I'm doing it. I don't think she thinks I'm going to leave or anything, but I think she just feels the pressure to do it.

In all honesty, other than doing it for myself i am really doing it for my daughter. I know kids generally pick up the habits of the parents. I really didn't think much about the boys because they tend to ignore watching what I eat and stay in good shape. However, my daughter has mocked everything I do since she was 2 years old including my eating habits. Its kinds tough growing up overweight as a boy, but for girls it can be downright brutal.

Now, when I am exercising, my 3 year old daughter is there right beside me doing her version of push ups. She keeps showing me how big her muscles are getting. She is also eating healthier snacks with me. She even did the majority of a 2 mile walk with me. She is my big motivator right now.

Bingo, same reason I am doing it...to set a good example for my kiddo.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I don't know....I have lost 20 lbs and my quads are now rock hard from weight lifting. So it would seem to me that I have been losing fat and building muscle.