Stuck in a big rut :o(

Options
Whisperinghorse
Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
Hi all....

Just a little advice if you would be so kind....

I've just joined your group and read the stickies and I can see it making sense...

I started trying to lose weight in mid January by starting on 1200 cal a day (please dont I know now :blushing: ) I realised pretty quickly that I wasnt eating enough as I'd started jogging then, only a mile a day but a mile is a mile right? I upped to 1500 a day (before I knew about TDEE/BMR etc) and yes lost another 4 lb taking the initial loss to 15lb. I have a wedding to go to next week and wanted to not be the chubster in the corner.... :embarassed:

Anyway needless to say I have gained back 4lb AND 4 inches on my waist and 1/2 inch on the hips in the last 3 weeks... Excersize wise I am doing 30DS with 2kg hand weights 6 days a week, if I jog (prob once a week if that) its 2 miles at a time and I bought some 15kg freeweights to use at home. I also have horses so a little active morning and evening seeing to their every whim! Other than that I have a desk job 5-6 days a week and am pretty sedentary in the evening.

I bought a Fitbit about 10 days ago and although it may not 100% accurate I now have a TDEE of 2012 (Scooby calc is 2052) so fairly accurate and my Katch McArdle BMR is 1342.... BUT currently I'm set at 1400 net and I havent met that once in the last 10 days so looks like I've constantly been netting under my BMR (sometimes only 800-900) which explains the gain/weight stall...

I have nothing to lose here (well hopefully I do!!) so am I right in saying I'm lightly active (3-5 hours per week excersize) -15% = 1729 unless my Fitbit says I've burned more than the 300 cal cut in which case eat the extra odd on???

Thanks in advance, I've been stuck for 9 weeks so need to try something else....!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I think I have this down now. Eat your cut 1729 everyday. If you net under your BMR from exercise then eat up to your BMR that day.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster based on what i've been reading here. You may also be considered as Mod active....
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    Thanks hun I'll change my goal to 1729 and see what happens :flowerforyou: I dont expect much in the next few weeks but even if I could drop that 4lb I've gained and get back to 15lb lost I'll be chuffed :wink:
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    I agree with the above poster based on what i've been reading here. You may also be considered as Mod active....

Thats worth thinking about....

Horses take 20 minutes in the morning (which comes up as light activity on Fitbit) then about 45 mins - 1 hour in the afternoon some of which comes up proper activity.... 30DS is only 20 minutes so not a huge amount of time, but I do sweat buckets doing it :smile:
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say more, but i'm really not qualified. But good luck with your weight-loss and your upcoming wedding :)
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think you are more moderately active too. I'm not sure about the fitbit's accuracy. Don't have experience with it and haven't read much about it. But with the technology it uses, it seems like under reporting could be very possible if you are doing strenuous activities that don't involve a lot of obvious movement. I think you are right to go with the moderate calculation. It really seems like people who hit their correct number right off the bat get the quickest positive results. So go forth and EAT!! :)
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    I wish I could say more, but i'm really not qualified. But good luck with your weight-loss and your upcoming wedding :)

Thanks hun x
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey lady, go with scooby formula moderate and take that cut. I think your body needs the fuel. Read what to expect when upping. Give it not a min under 6wks...be consistent...net no less than BMR and see about changing up lifting sessions. There are good theads on here for home workouts. Take measurements and pls keep us posted.
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    Thanks all xx :flowerforyou:

The only reason I went for the lightly active was because I'm really only counting 30DS as the excersise and as I sit on my butt all day. My horsey activities I have done every single day for years, so didnt really count that as excersise...

My Fitbit burn for Tuesday 8th to today Monday 14th is 14894 averaging 2127 per day 15% cut is 1808. I had reset goal to 1729 so will change again to 1808?

Using the mod activity level calorie Scooby comes up with 1712 so I'm not far off.....

Keep fingers crossed for me please.... Now on level 2 30DS, but away for a few days next so will probably be well over for a bit...

The good news though? The dress I was wearing for the wedding still fits from August, so at least I havent got to buy another bigger size :glasses:
  • Whisperinghorse
    Options
    I think you are more moderately active too. I'm not sure about the fitbit's accuracy. Don't have experience with it and haven't read much about it. But with the technology it uses, it seems like under reporting could be very possible if you are doing strenuous activities that don't involve a lot of obvious movement. I think you are right to go with the moderate calculation. It really seems like people who hit their correct number right off the bat get the quickest positive results. So go forth and EAT!! :)

Thank you!!! I thought I'd stuffed myself silly this weekend as I had a splurge, but only under by 20 or so cals so all ok I reckon xx

Next week it'll be creams teas and jacket potatos as I'm on holiday :bigsmile: