Newbie Confusion

Options
candace_ndiaye
candace_ndiaye Posts: 23 Member
So I've just started the whole EM2WL thing this week, so I'm super new. I'm working on getting all the calories in at this point, but luckily I was only a couple hundred or so off (which is probably more than I think, but I digress). I've tried to read through the threads, but there are more than I can keep up with :) Anyway I have some questions for everyone:

1) I got my BMR and TDEE, and I know what my cut should be, given working out 1-3 times a week, which I hope to up once I keep that commitment. I hear people in threads talking about not eating enough protein. This may be a really stupid question, but how are you figuring out how much you need?

2) Also, I've noticed it mentioned about "heavy lifting". What exactly qualifies as heavy? I would assume there is some variation depending on the person, but if any of the ladies have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I enjoy strength training but I honestly hate the gym, so I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't make happen at home.

I'd really appreciate any feedback that anyone has. Thanks!

Replies

• techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    So I've just started the whole EM2WL thing this week, so I'm super new. I'm working on getting all the calories in at this point, but luckily I was only a couple hundred or so off (which is probably more than I think, but I digress). I've tried to read through the threads, but there are more than I can keep up with :) Anyway I have some questions for everyone:

1) I got my BMR and TDEE, and I know what my cut should be, given working out 1-3 times a week, which I hope to up once I keep that commitment. I hear people in threads talking about not eating enough protein. This may be a really stupid question, but how are you figuring out how much you need?

2) Also, I've noticed it mentioned about "heavy lifting". What exactly qualifies as heavy? I would assume there is some variation depending on the person, but if any of the ladies have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I enjoy strength training but I honestly hate the gym, so I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't make happen at home.

I'd really appreciate any feedback that anyone has. Thanks!

Others members may add, but here is a start.

1. It is recommended that we eat 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat. Generally speaking folks are told to shoot for 1g of protein per pound of body weight.

2. Heavy lifting is relative to the person. You should only be able to do 10-12 reps. If you can do 20 then it isn't heavy enough.

HTH
  • candace_ndiaye
    Options
    Thanks!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You can customize your MFP goals to the percentages posted above. Makes tracking them easy. And, there are a lot of strength training workouts that can be done at home. NROLFW is doable at home with some basic equipment. Gotta say I like it much better at the gym though. I've heard P90X is easy at home. Maybe look into the training that only uses your body weight as well. Someone else will have to give you the name for that though. Welcome to the group!
  • candace_ndiaye
    Options
    Thanks Rebekah!

I've looked into P90X, and I'd LOVE to try it out. It will have to wait a few weeks though. I'm also alittle concerned as I have knee problems, and it looks like it could be abit rough on the ol' joints :) But I'm still weighing it. I'm doing as much strength training as I can at home for the moment, and hopes to up it. I have a good friend who did alot with the kettle balls (bells?) and has lost a whopping 86 lbs since January, combining that with walking and clean eating. He's kinda my inspiration at this point :)

Thanks so much for your advice; I'll definitely be checking out NROLFW.

Have a great day!

Candace