hi everyone! newbie here

Options
treeeee
treeeee Posts: 39 Member
Hi girls!!!! My name is Theresa but all of my friends and family call me Tree for short (hence my screen name!). I am 23 years old, 5'4, 126-128lbs (started at 178lbs, lost 50-ish lbs in the past year). My body fat percentage is currently at about 22% and I would really like to get down to the "athlete" level with about 18-19%.

Glad that this group exists, it looks like it contains a lot of useful information and advice. Just wanted to take this opportunity to say hello. I welcome new MFP friends so if anyone would like to add me, feel free. We can be motivational lifting buddies, because most of my MFP friends are on the weight-loss end of things; I recently reached my weight loss goals and am moving onto the fun stuff, getting strong and lean. Plus, now I get to eat more, haha!

I have been doing weight lifting on my own, randomly for about a month now. I had no real set routine, just went in and did stuff til I was sore. I decided that to see real results and feel some sort of sense of accomplishment I needed to have a routine and plan to follow. I have heard such great things about this book I picked up a copy for myself. I read the book and love it, now I am going to put the workouts into action. I will be lifting using the new rules workouts on Wednesday and Fridays, Sundays I have a friend who personal trains me and she kicks my butt so I am giving myself two days of rest from her workouts. However, since this sunday is Mother's day we can't meet up... SOO I officially started NROLFW this morning. I did Stage 1, Workout A, and these were my stats:

Squats: 70/15 x 2 (on the smith machine)
Push Ups: 45* angle x 2 (alt. with seated row)
Seated Row: 50/15 and 50/13 (alt. with push ups)
Step Up: 18lb kettle bells/15 x 2 on each leg (alt with prone jack-knife)
Prone Jack Knife: 15 reps x 2

I also did a 5 minute warm up jog on the tread mill, and 20 minutes on the stairs putting forth low-moderate effort (kept my heart rate around 135-140).

I definitely pushed myself, and felt it. For some reason, I noticed with the step-ups that my right leg is much stronger than my left, I felt the "burn" but had no problem at all with my right leg, but with my left leg I kept losing my balance and got very shaky, almost couldn't complete all 15 reps. Also, I may need to find a harder variation to the jack-knife because I already have a pretty strong core and I had no problem getting to 15 (only called for 8 reps) and could've really kept going, probably will next time.

Also, I am not very familiar with the squat rack yet, so I used the smith machine. I'm sure that probably affects the workout somehow and am looking forward to becoming friends with the squat rack as soon as I am a little more comfortable.

Only one other question.... I know HRMs aren't the most accurate calorie counters, however, does anyone know if lifting with the HRM makes it really off (on the high end)? I was at the gym for a total of an hour today, did 25 minutes of light cardio and spent the other half hourish (give or take for rest time) lifting and pushing myself pretty hard. Said I burned over 500 calories.. seemed a little high, but just curious about that.

Anyway... looking forward to doing Work Out B!!

Replies