Do you have any Lemon Recipies?

Options
hardkitty
hardkitty Posts: 25 Member
Hi all,

I've got a lemon tree at the bottom of the garden and its about to drop a mega load of lemons and I wondered what I should do with them. I've looked on-line, but they all seem to be so high in sugar, calories, fat and crabs which is no good.

low carbs, low calorie, high in fibre or high in protein, any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• hardkitty
    Options
    :happy:
  • riverrrock
    riverrrock Posts: 2
    Options
    My gosh, I would be in heaven with your close proximity to a lemon tree. I go through multiple lemons a day. I might just be weird, but I use them for everything from marinades, to lemon water.

As far as a recipe goes, I just juice 1-3 into a bowl, throw in whatever spices that I'm feeling that day, a dash of chicken stock, the chicken & then let it chill in the fridge for a while. Sometimes I grill them.

I go through phases with random ingredients. Previously I obsessed over ginger, and then avocados. I'm always hunting for new ways for full flavor, and low calorie foods. Lemon marinades are also fabulous for turkey cutlets. I also use them as a replacement of any kind of creamy sauces for fish like flounder. Some basil, parsley & lemon juice is all you need for a delicious dinner, and the major plus is that it's such a quick fix. I love too cook, but I hate spending what feels like eternity in there when I'm so hungry. Hopefully that helps! I spend way too much time trying to find good recipes online.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    two things I have done in the past few months and found out I really really love is lemon basil ricotta stuffed chicken breasts, and 40 cloves of garlic chicken - I used martha stewarts recipe with that and added the juice and zest of one lemon for the garlic chicken, and oh man the 'sauce' it creates in the pan is fab-u-lous!!

lucky you to have a lemon tree! we had one in my yard growing up and my mom would make one of of those easy lemon pies with a ritz cracker base and it was a family favorite!! i dont know the recipe on that, though but I bet you coud google it around and find something.

I also tried some lemon zucchini muffins - not the best but pretty good. I a lemon muffin recipe I thought I would like and threw in a shredded zucchini and it worked ok.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    8 pieces of Chicken (I like mine with bones and skin)
    1 lemon juice
    1 cup Greek Yogurt
    salt to taste
    Black pepper
    3 cloves garlic

Put in large plastic baggie over night.

Bake at 400 degrees on a wire rack in oven with remainder Greek yogurt on top, and veggies/ chicken broth in a oven safe pan on bottom

Cook time depends on oven, but around 30-50 mins.
  • hardkitty
    Options
    W0ow they sound fabulous, I can't wait to try them.

I think with the remaining lemons I'm going to have to juice them and freeze them in ice cubes to use at a later point. Thanks for all the help!
  • BitteOrca
    BitteOrca Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i made a really delicious pasta recipe last week that used lemons--

sautee lots of garlic, chili and ginger in 1/4 c olive olive. finish with lemon zest from 1 lemon. set aside. brown some whole wheat bread crumbs in the oven with cooking spray, salt and pepper until golden and toasty. set aside. cook any pasta you like, when al dente drain pasta and add to bowl with your chili/garlic/lemon oil, bread crumbs, TONS of fresh arugula and finish with juice of 1 lemon.

such a delicious hybrid salad/pasta dish! i made this recipe before joining MFP this week so i'd probably reduce the oil as much as possible now and add about 1/4 c of pasta water to the final mix to make more of a sauce.

enjoy!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    8 pieces of Chicken (I like mine with bones and skin)
    1 lemon juice
    1 cup Greek Yogurt
    salt to taste
    Black pepper
    3 cloves garlic

Put in large plastic baggie over night.

Bake at 400 degrees on a wire rack in oven with remainder Greek yogurt on top, and veggies/ chicken broth in a oven safe pan on bottom

Cook time depends on oven, but around 30-50 mins.
    Gonna have to try this, thanks!
  • Vienna4444
    Options
    Also try lemon water its super easy and not fancy but still really healthy and good for cleansing your body! You just squeeze the lemon juice into the water and voila lemon water. :)
  • jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Preserved Lemons
    You can find a recipe for preserved lemons just about anywhere, they're that easy. Here's an adaptation of one from Claudia Roden's Arabesque (Knopf, 2005).
    4 lemons
    4 tablespoons sea salt
    Juice of 4 additional lemons, or more to taste
    Wash and scrub the lemons. The classic Moroccan way is to cut each lemon in quarters but not right through, so that the pieces are still attached at the stem end, and to stuff each with a tablespoon of salt and squeeze it closed. Put them in a sterilized preserving jar, pressing them down so that they are squashed together, and close the jar.
    Leave for 3 to 4 days, by which time the lemons will have disgorged some of their juices and the skins will have softened a little. Open the jar and press the lemons down as much as you can, then add fresh lemon juice to cover them entirely.
    Close the jar and leave in a cool place for at least a month. The longer they are left, the better the flavor. (If a piece of lemon is not covered, it develops a white mold that is harmless and just needs to be washed off.)
    Before using, scoop out and discard the pulp, and rinse the lemon peel under the tap to get rid of the salt.
  • LynneyMetcalf
    LynneyMetcalf Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump for later:love:
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Look for Greek recipes online, they use lemons like crazy! Lemon chicken and lemon potatoes are among my favorites at Greek restaurants. There is also a lemon sauce that you get on dolmas (stuffed grape leaves) at Lebanese restaurants that is fantastic (never put in the effort to make them, so I can't recommend a specific recipe).
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    save
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I LOVE lemons! Aside from lemon water, I'll place lemon slices over any meat I'm baking in the oven (chicken, fish, etc.) I also will use lemon juice in a salad as a dressing substitute :)