Starting on Monday

Options
jennkain97
jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
I'm starting RFL on Monday. Does anyone have any advice? I can't stand eggs (except hard boiled), so I'll be sticking with protein shakes for breakfast (I usually do this anyway). What about supplements? My biggest concern is my energy levels falling. I've got 5 kids to keep up with! Thanks in advance for any tidbits you can throw my way ;)

Replies

• jennkain97
    Options
    Hmmm.... anyone?
  • LivingFitNC
    LivingFitNC Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    have done this a few times and have learned each time so here is my 2 cents...

Try intermittent fasting or eating in a smaller window. For example, I eat from 1pm to 7pm which a)makes me feel more satisfied with the small amount of food and b)gives me the energy from fasting in the morning which I bump up with a cup of coffee blended with MCT oil. (look up bulletproof coffee and subtract the butter)

Also, if you are coming from a high carb diet then you can expect a good 1-2 weeks of feeling really lousy as you withdraw from carbs which is why it is easier if you drop to VLC before doing PSMF and also use low carb as maintenance. To counter this Lyle uses an EC Stack- I would also say in lieu of drugs to NOT over exercise. Lifting something heavy 2-3 times a week and going on EASY walks a few times is plenty. You will only hurt your progress by doing too much and make yourself feel worse.

I have done this with and w/o refeeds and it is a thousand times better w/o in terms of energy, but then again I am very carb sensitive and the refeeds make me feel lousy as all get out. Unless you are Cat 1, i.e. ripped, don't bother. Same goes for "free meals" should you decide to take them- make them as low carb as possible to avoid massive water weight retenion and re-entering the carb flu.
  • jennkain97
    Options
    have done this a few times and have learned each time so here is my 2 cents...

Try intermittent fasting or eating in a smaller window. For example, I eat from 1pm to 7pm which a)makes me feel more satisfied with the small amount of food and b)gives me the energy from fasting in the morning which I bump up with a cup of coffee blended with MCT oil. (look up bulletproof coffee and subtract the butter)

Also, if you are coming from a high carb diet then you can expect a good 1-2 weeks of feeling really lousy as you withdraw from carbs which is why it is easier if you drop to VLC before doing PSMF and also use low carb as maintenance. To counter this Lyle uses an EC Stack- I would also say in lieu of drugs to NOT over exercise. Lifting something heavy 2-3 times a week and going on EASY walks a few times is plenty. You will only hurt your progress by doing too much and make yourself feel worse.

I have done this with and w/o refeeds and it is a thousand times better w/o in terms of energy, but then again I am very carb sensitive and the refeeds make me feel lousy as all get out. Unless you are Cat 1, i.e. ripped, don't bother. Same goes for "free meals" should you decide to take them- make them as low carb as possible to avoid massive water weight retenion and re-entering the carb flu.

Thanks so much! I was starting to feel somewhat alone on here!! Haven't been able to find an EC Stack anywhere around here (I live in a very rural -and overweight- area), but I do drink green tea every day, so I think that helps. I have been eating 3 meals a day, and even at the low cals and only salads for "carbs", I have found that I am never hungry.

I started my first refeed about an hour before you posted (of course! lol!), could barely choke it down, and felt HORRIBLE the next morning. (It was like a hangover, and I don't even get them after a bottle of wine!) I won't be doing another one! I will be doing free meals, but only because I don't want to be that "pain in the butt" at every weekend get together. Will definitely take your advice and try to keep it HPLC, as much as possible. I'll just have to offer to bring a veggie platter when we go somewhere ;)
  • jennkain97
    Options
    Today is day five. I'm down about 5 lbs (had a little binge on Mother's Day before I started on Monday), and would be about 7-8lbs if not for the refeed. So, it's definitely working for me. Will be on RFL for 6 weeks, unless I hit my goal before then. That will give me about a week to be on maintenance before heading to California for my baby sister's wedding. Definitely looking forward to rockin' my new bikini!!!
  • jennkain97
    Options
    Today is day five. I'm down about 5 lbs (had a little binge on Mother's Day before I started on Monday), and would be about 7-8lbs if not for the refeed. So, it's definitely working for me. Will be on RFL for 6 weeks, unless I hit my goal before then. That will give me about a week to be on maintenance before heading to California for my baby sister's wedding. Definitely looking forward to rockin' my new bikini!!!

Or, today is day SIX. Apparently lack of carbs has affected my ability to count. :ohwell: