Need proper running form help.....PLEASE :)

Options
DMUND
DMUND Posts: 299 Member
Last week was a terribly busy week (I know...poor excuse)...so I didn't get any of my week 2 runs in, but did get week 2 day 1 run in this morning. As I was running I met another runner (an obviously well experienced runner) and I watched her form. I try to run with my arms bent at a 90 degree angle, as was hers. I try to keep my shoulders relaxed, which she seemed very relaxed. However, when I noticed her step, she only touched the balls of her feet to her toes, don't think her heals ever hit the ground. Then I got confused as I am pretty sure I run with all my feet hitting the road....maybe this is why I feel like I land so heavy??? If I could get some help with this, also with the proper breathing techniques, I'd be so grateful.

I also did notice my lower back right above my left hip was tender while running too.....hoping it's not a big deal. And my legs get VERY sore, especially my shins.

Any and all help and/or advice will be great!!!

Thank you all in advance!!!! Gonna be another long week, but my goal is to get the other 2 runs in this week, don't want to fall any further behind than what I am already.

Replies

• its_sania
    its_sania Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    she only touched the balls of her feet to her toes, don't think her heals ever hit the ground.

this is how I run. I think I learnt this from running barefoot on the treadmill and not wanting to hurt my feet by landing heavily on my heels. Don't really know if this is proper form but I'm used to it and it works for me.

I try to keep my shoulders relaxed, I find that if I tense up after a while I get a really sore shoulder, almost like a cramp and I can't run any longer it's that painful.
  • blackeyegirl
    Options
    I am a new runner, and after my "initial" 3 weeks of c25k, sustained a knee injury. One of my colleagues (who runs marathons), shared with me his knowledge of Chirunning and suggested I give it a try. I took about 2 weeks off from running, and read the Chirunning Book by Danny Dreyer. I am back to running, trying my best to utilize Dreyer's running method. I am happy to report that I discovered why I injured my knee (incorrect body mechanics), restarted the c25k program and am again on week 3 of c25k without injury. There is an excellent thread if you search "Chirunning" on mfp which presents the basics of Chirunning. To reassure you, according to Dreyer, landing on the middle of your foot (avoiding the heel strike) is appropriate. In addition, arms at 90 degrees with all muscles relaxed is the key. But there are many other things Dreyer incorporates into his running method that I find invaluable. I hope this helps. Good luck!!