Above TDEE this weekend.

Options
graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
Hey guys. I JUST started this process and I'm already getting bigger/gaining weight. I know I need to wait it out...but today and possibly yesterday, I ended up ABOVE my TDEE due to celebration meals. In order not to gain even MORE weight should I pull back from my new increase for a few days? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    No. It's counterproductive. Eat your cut value ever day. A couple of over or at TDEE days aren't gonna mess everything up. The gain you have seen is most likely just water retention. Stick it out and be consistent. If you don't, you're not giving the whole Eat More thing a real chance to work because you're not really eating more every day.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am in the same place. I am trying to eat at maintenance and know (through my bodybugg) that I am over TDEE by about 1000 calories throughout the week this past week, but I had a weird week with celebrations and just not being as active as I normally am, so I am going to just keep on the same path this next week and see if it evens out. I am also up on the scale, but I know that is part of the process. Waiting for that to even out too. It sure is a learning process and a practice in patience!
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Thanks guys. What was making me nutty was NOT wearing my BMF yesterday. LOL. We were walking all around D.C. in the afternoon and the whole time I'm wondering if maybe I'll end up even. Haha! I was wearing a sleeveless dress though...so c'est la vie. :laugh:
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    LOL...stick to the calories, if you go over it is ok, but it isn't ok to cut back. Consistency is key for your body to know it will continue to get fuel. Trust me it was mighty greatful for the overage I am sure. Just be patient and stick with it, your body will stabilize and start to release the fat.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the same info....I think lots of us do this on weekends...I know I did....Great topic!! :)
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I way over did it yesterday. Not in terms of overeating but eating things that I normally wouldn't eat...ham, cookies, appetizers. It was Mother's Day and I just let myself go crazy. Today I'm feeling super bloated and yucky.

So today, I'm downing the water like crazy and getting back on track with healthy eating again. I'm sure our bodies will thank us for some healthy foods!!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I way over did it yesterday. Not in terms of overeating but eating things that I normally wouldn't eat...ham, cookies, appetizers. It was Mother's Day and I just let myself go crazy. Today I'm feeling super bloated and yucky.

So today, I'm downing the water like crazy and getting back on track with healthy eating again. I'm sure our bodies will thank us for some healthy foods!!

Me too! I felt super sick last night. My husband told me it was because I actually ate normal food and my body is not used to it. I will conciously down the water like you suggested.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I feel like the stay puff marshmallow man. I'm so bloated from the cal increase AND sodium/food overload from yesterday. Blech! I'm not even looking at my jeans!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    The amount I ate yesterday...staggering! Heck, it is like I ate before. I didn't realize just how much food I was consuming on a daliy basis....YIKES!
  • TiffyChick
    TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So glad to see this post! I had a girls weekend and my eating was AWFUL! This post helped me to stop freaking out and not be tempted to pull back for a couple days on my calories. : )
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    My old way of thinking would be to starve myself today just to make up for the horrible foods I ate yesterday but I've been eating healthy today and trying to keep my numbers up there and I already feel less bloated.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    I think it is times like these that really brings home how much "the typical American" really eats and why we end up overweight. When you compare the amounts that are commonly served and consumed (especially restaurant portion!) it does make sense that a diet of ~2000 calories along with exercise would allow most people to lose or maintain a healthy weight.

But don't let a few days like this get you down. It takes time for changes to become habit and just know that you are doing the right thing and that a few days of overeating does not have to derail your commitment.

You have the chance to make healthy choices for yourself every time you decide to exercise and every time you eat!

Keep up the good work!