Which BMR is more accurate: MFP or Fat2fitradio

Options
Healthy_4_Life2
Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
MFP set my BMR at 1454 however, I was going by Fat2fitradio BMR or 1600. I stay closely to 1600 calories on nonworkout days and on work out days I ate up to about 1800-1950 calories. To put it simply, I set my calorie goal to 1600 and ate about 50-70 % of my workout back. It was touch and go initially, but the weight started falling off and am quite happy about that.

My question is now that I have lost about 5 pounds since initially calculating my BMR, I recalculated it today.
Fat2fitradio current BMR is 1507 and MFP 1s 1418.

So my question is if I should lower the calorie goal to match Fat2fitradio or MFP or should I leave it at 1600 and continue to eat back my workout calories like I ldo now. I realize that it might not seem like a big calorie difference, but I would like others input.

FYI--
CW 171
GW 135

I work out on the treadmill about 5 days a week 45 minutes each time.

According to Fit2fatradio my TDEE is:

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job)

Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)

Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)

So sorry if this is too confusing :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    That is a big change in your bmr... If I input my goal-weight and fat % in as my current-weight into the fat2fit calculator, it doesn't change my bmr by very much.

I personally use fat2fit, I input my current weight, goal weight (worked out on their goal weight calculator) and current fat % & my bmr comes out as 1263 : ( (5' 0") and my maintenance calories if I weighed 116 lb at moderately active are 1958 - this is what I eat everyday and will STILL eat when I get to my goal.
    It gives a slight defecit and I am losing slowly and most importantly it is sustainable : )
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to eat 1780 daily which is cut value from moderate activity TDEE. You shouldn't have to ever eat back calories since your burns aren't that high and it is a consistent amount to eat daily.

The problem I have with the other way is we really shouldn't eat just BMR on nonworkout days because the moment you get out of bed you are burning calories. So, TDEE averages calories weekly, cut gives you a deficit, so that allows fuel body needs daily.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feed back.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Did you add 20% to the numbers fat2fit gave you to get your TDEE or are those numbers that you gave the recommended calorie intake. Fat2fit creates a deficit when it gives you the calorie numbers. So since you're moderately active you should be eating the full 2093. On workout days, if you have a high burn, you might have to eat more to make sure your net stays above 1507 - usually within a couple hundred over, so you could actually end up eating 2200 or 2300 calories on high burn days. If you've already adjusted the numbers from the Fat2fit site to get TDEE, then disregard what I'm saying. ;)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Did you add 20% to the numbers fat2fit gave you to get your TDEE or are those numbers that you gave the recommended calorie intake. Fat2fit creates a deficit when it gives you the calorie numbers. So since you're moderately active you should be eating the full 2093. On workout days, if you have a high burn, you might have to eat more to make sure your net stays above 1507 - usually within a couple hundred over, so you could actually end up eating 2200 or 2300 calories on high burn days. If you've already adjusted the numbers from the Fat2fit site to get TDEE, then disregard what I'm saying. ;)

I know this wasn't about me but I just wanted to butt in and ask a question. I think I'm moderately active again as I workout everyday for 30-40 minutes, the calories fat2fit has given me for moderately active is 1902, but you were talking about adding 20% to get my tdee, does that mean 1902 isn't actually my tdee?:s Also, if I were to get my real tdee then would I divide 1902 by eighty or one hundred? This has really confused me lol. Sorry if this sounds dumb.
  • jhcowan
    jhcowan Posts: 10
    Options
    I read somewhere to recalculate your calories with every 5 lb weight loss.