Opinions on home strength training routine...

Options
grimm1974
grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
So, I really haven't lifted weights much since high school. I'm trying to put together my own home weight lifting routine and was hoping to get some opinions on what I might want to add/change. Here is what I'm currently looking at:

Dumbbell Curls
Push up (These are still tough for me to do)
Dumbbell Squats or sometimes jump squats
Dumbbell Lunges
Crunches
Tricep Extensions or Kickbacks
Alternating Deltoid Raise

I eventually want to add in a pull up bar, but I just don't have a good area for that in my home. I think I may rig up my kids' play house for that.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're putting together your own rather than follow one already laid out?
  • grimm1974
    Options
    Is there a reason you're putting together your own rather than follow one already laid out?

Biggest reason would be limited equipment that I have to work with.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the bodyweight programs out there? There's also a large resource on bodybuilding.com's website- tons of exercises there. Just ignore the crappy supplement overload ads.
  • grimm1974
    Options
    I'll give it a look. I really didn't think to look for entire programs rather than individual exercises
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I do the p90X routine and it doesn't involve any more than dumbbells/pullup bar/yoga mat. You could google some of the youtube videos and get some ideas from there...there's lots of different body weight and dumbbell moves. There are also a few other threads on here with home lifting workout ideas/routines.
  • grimm1974
    Options
    I'm a bit too strapped for cash at the moment to buy any programs, so I'm just really making due with what I do have at the moment. The pull-up bar seems to be my biggest issue right now. I can get one since they are fairly cheap, but my issue is I just don't have a good doorway for one. All of my usable doorways have a narrow gap from the door frame to the wall. That makes it difficult for most of the pull up bars I've seen. I'll look around and see what I can dig up though.
  • jyska
    Options
    I'm a bit too strapped for cash at the moment to buy any programs, so I'm just really making due with what I do have at the moment. The pull-up bar seems to be my biggest issue right now. I can get one since they are fairly cheap, but my issue is I just don't have a good doorway for one. All of my usable doorways have a narrow gap from the door frame to the wall. That makes it difficult for most of the pull up bars I've seen. I'll look around and see what I can dig up though.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear...I just meant you could google some of the p90X moves...not buy the program. :smile: As for the pull up bar, p90X has modified moves that work the same muscles using bands. you could look into bands instead?
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Subbing for good advice!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
  • grimm1974
    Options

Sorry, I don't think I was clear...I just meant you could google some of the p90X moves...not buy the program. :smile: As for the pull up bar, p90X has modified moves that work the same muscles using bands. you could look into bands instead?

I'll look for some of the p90x stuff. I hadn't came across any when I googled it before but I may have not looked in the right place. I do have some resistance bands. I just have found them a bit and awkward to use so far. I also took a shot in the back from the door stop during an exercise that left a nice bruise on my back. I have limited my use of them to exercises that do not require a door from that point on :)
  • grimm1974
    Options
    Looks interesting. I've downloaded the app and will try it out. Thanks
  • jyska
    Options

I'll look for some of the p90x stuff. I hadn't came across any when I googled it before but I may have not looked in the right place. I do have some resistance bands. I just have found them a bit and awkward to use so far. I also took a shot in the back from the door stop during an exercise that left a nice bruise on my back. I have limited my use of them to exercises that do not require a door from that point on :)

Ouch! I don't blame you! :noway: I'm sure you'll find some great moves just googling even if you can't find much for P90X (although there should be some because I know I found a few). There are other things you can do for your back, like back fly's, lawnmowers, heavy pants etc if you find bands and pull up bars aren't an option at this point.(I just did chest and back so they are fresh in my head this morning..hehe) Start with what you can and eventually if you get a chance to use pullup bars, then you can incorporate those into your routine too!

Working out at home with limited equipment can be a bit of a challenge at first...I personally don't like going to gyms (I don't like sharing my toys...lol) so I've always worked out from home. DVD's or laid out programs are very helpful to make sure you balance your workouts well, but not a necessity. In the beginning, I think anything you do gets you on the right path.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    www.bodyrock.tv

They have a lot of workouts that use body weight only. no big equipment needed
    and they are all free to watch online.