What does your 'rest day' look like?

Options
jyska
jyska Posts: 728 Member
Ok, so Lucia has nailed me to the couch two days of the week....sorta... :laugh: long story short...too much exercise, no days off, not enough food.

But here's my problem. I don't really know how to rest...yeah...I saw those looks. seriously...I need to know what you guys all do on a rest day. Do you sit on the couch all day? Cook, clean, garden, slow walks, laundry, tidy, frisbee in the park...what? I feel kinda stupid asking this question, but I just don't know what a true rest day looks like. Is it just no 'deliberate' exercise? I know how to have rest moments/hours....but 'rest days'??

Help me out! What's your rest day look like?

Replies

• slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    Ooof, I'm SO not the gal to ask, I can't sit still! Usually I end up involved in some kind of house project - cleaning, organizing, whatever. Or in the yard.

The only time you can really guarantee me sitting still for a long time is to sit me down outside in the sun with a cocktail and a magazine...but even then it always feels better after a workout. :)

I would stick with "no deliberate exercise" - go for stroll to get some coffee, take your bike to go out for dinner, or clean up around the house or yard if you absolutely must move. I guess I draw the line at if I don't have to put on a sports bra and sneakers, it's a rest day. :)
  • jyska
    Options
    Ooof, I'm SO not the gal to ask, I can't sit still! Usually I end up involved in some kind of house project - cleaning, organizing, whatever. Or in the yard.

The only time you can really guarantee me sitting still for a long time is to sit me down outside in the sun with a cocktail and a magazine...but even then it always feels better after a workout. :)

I would stick with "no deliberate exercise" - go for stroll to get some coffee, take your bike to go out for dinner, or clean up around the house or yard if you absolutely must move. I guess I draw the line at if I don't have to put on a sports bra and sneakers, it's a rest day. :)

LOL!!! We're twins!!!
  • DebRives
    DebRives Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you can do anything you want on a “rest day”, just not exercise. If you enjoy gardening then have at it. The feeling of accomplishment and a sense of joy an avid gardener gets from a beautiful yard/garden is just as restful as sitting on the couch. Just keep the heavy lifting to a minimum.

Rest is more than resting your muscles. In my opinion, it’s giving the entire body a break and de-stressing. So if there is something you enjoy doing, something which gives you a sense of peace, joy, fulfillment, etc. then by all means do it!
    But keep the heart rate down.:laugh:
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i catch up on laundry and/or DVR!

or ill use my extra time to cook a big HEALTHY dinner!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You are just so cute...lol!

On my rest day, I do the normal activities around the house that needs to be taken care of. I have never really counting cooking, washing clothes, etc as "exercise". I take my time doing them and am not running like a bunny doing it.

I don't go for walks, may take kids to the park and watch them and just relax. Rest day to me means, I am not working up any type of sweat doing anything.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first true rest day where I did absolutely nothing. But usually Sundays are my rest day and I don't officially work out but I usually go on a long bike ride with my kids and/or a walk. We've also gone swimming. I also do laundry and house cleaning.

So not a rest day per se where I sit on my butt and watch tv all day but no official work outs.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I absolutely take a TV/butt day. lol I watch some movies, pop some popcorn and snuggle up with Hubby and the kitties. I'll crochet, do crosswords, spend some extra Bible time, do some reading of blogs- just relax.

I try to remember it's not just my muscles that need the break- my CNS and brain/soul do as well. Relaxation is good for lowering cortisol as well.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I just go about my day as I would - no intentional exercise. But I still take my daycare kiddos on morning walk. I have my preschool-aged kids that walk instead of riding in the stroller - so that keeps the pace wayyyy down! Other than that, it's just like any other day. I'd love to say that I go for my Eastern therapeutic massage on that day, but that's just not going to happen anytime soon!
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Mine is when I don't have to wear two bras at once....lol!!!:tongue:
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Well, I work so that takes up most of my day 5 days per week. Then I cook, eat, do bath and bedtime for my 3 year old and then usually catch up my DVR shows. I am really okay with just sitting. I go, go, go all day at work so it is a relief to be able to sit in peace for an hour before I have to start getting things ready for the next day. The weekends are always busy with household stuff so that care of that.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I just avoid intentional exercise. ....

Oh and take 3 or 4 catnaps....haha
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure if i never have rest days or if i have too many. i know i'm not getting to exercise as much as i want and it is pissing me off....grrrrr. but i also rarely manage to just sit around. there is always work to be done around the house. so essentially, i'm just b*tching and not answering your question at all. :P
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I dont do any actual "exercise"... no tapes, no gym, no running. If im out with my kids, well we walk or we are at the park.. not considered exercise for me:)
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    "Rest day" to me means I stay out of my home gym and do NOT put on my running shoes.

There are rest days where I log more steps then on my workout days - I've gone to the zoo with the kids, then grocery shopping, then 4 loads of laundry, then weeded the garden. Then there are days when I clean up my computer and venture out only for water. :) It varies, and it all evens out in the end.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I do everything but go to the gym, but I'm on mat leave so I do a lot of sitting on my butt right now while nursing the baby.

I don't count housework as exercise.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I`m real outdoorsy so in the winter it`s snowboarding, in the summer the beach walking and surfing (sort of). Spring is hiking and biking around with the kids. Fall same hiking stuff.

Here in Japan we have to work with the weather, typhoons and rainy season between your usual 4 seasons. So I do a lot of seasonal stuff.

I am always with my kids doing something outdoors on weekends. Otherwise they would go crazy! I can`t remember the last day I just sat on my butt all day and watched movies or something.

I guess I`ll get the chance again when I`m 50 and the kids are grown up?

Do Mommies and Daddies ever get a rest day?
  • jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have your problem, I have a really hard time slowing down. Yesterday was my off day and I washed 2 cars, cleaned house and oops, walked the dog. Doesn't,t that sound like a relaxing day?? Well we can only try to be better:)
  • jyska
    Options
    Ok, so for a typical rest day, what I'm hearing here is:

1. Do what relaxes you
    2. Don't get your heart rate up (or sweat unless working on a tan)
    3. Avoid double-bras, running shoes, workout dvd's and exercise machines.
    4. A rest day is not an excuse to neglect parental, house or wifely duties.

Is that about right? :happy:
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Ok, so for a typical rest day, what I'm hearing here is:

1. Do what relaxes you
    2. Don't get your heart rate up (or sweat unless working on a tan)
    3. Avoid double-bras, running shoes, workout dvd's and exercise machines.
    4. A rest day is not an excuse to neglect parental, house or wifely duties.

Is that about right? :happy:

Sounds about right to me. I do try to fit in an hour or so of reading or tv on my rest days though but these things relax me. This summer there will be less conventional rest days for me since the kids will be home for summer we will do a lot of swimming, gardening, biking, walking and other outdoor things so that they don't drive me crazy. We will see how it works out I will still try to have at least one day where I do a lot less of these things and more sun bathing and reading.:wink: