Off the Pill and no period?

Options
jchrisman717
jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
I thought it was time to get some advice from other women going through the same thing. I had been on the pill off and on for most of my life - this last time I've been on it for going on 3 years. I have slowly gained the weight and it wasn't coming off. In my past - the weight never came off when I was on the pill. So I decided with my age (almost 48) that it was probably time I get off the pill anyway. My husband is younger (35) and we don't want any kids so of course we take other precautions (non-hormonal).

I had a slight period the first two months off the pill now this month I have had nothing. I not experiencing any other symptoms, but I do feel bloated and have not dropped any weight still.

I was thinking of taking a natural remedy like Estroven - has anyone had luck with this? My cousin who is about 4 years older than me told me the only way she was able to get her weight back under controal was by taking Zoloft. She said she tried everything natural but until she started taking the Zoloft to help her with the anxiety she was experiencing nothing worked. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't have much experience with the pill but I do know that after all those years you are going to have to let your body adjust on its own. It is so accustomed to the extra hormones that it needs to figure out how to produce its own. In my opinion I think you should give yourself a good amount of time , maybe 6 months?, to see how things pan out. Our bodies are amazing machines that are very good, most of the time, at regulating themselves.

You will see that most of us around this age have to keep a very close watch on our carbs and sodium intake. This is a great group to be a part of!
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I went off the pill in December. Did not have a period in January, February, March or April. I started some light/moderate spotting two days ago with a little cramping. I don't know if this is the new version of my "period" so I am taking a wait and see approach. I have also been experiencing some bloating off and on - usually around that time I am suppose to start. I do believe I am going through menopause and it may be weird for a while. I just had my yearly obgyn exam three months ago and all my tests came out clean - so I think it may just be wild ride time for me. In any event, I don't miss the heavy bleeding that I was experiencing while I was on the pill. I guess it was my bodies way of saying "you don't need me anymore." :ohwell:
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yep - I will so totally take the no period too! I just want to know whether I can still get pregnant so we don't have to use protection. I felt really tired and bloated and grouchy all week. I started taking Estroven w/energy and I think it helped yesterday - by last night I actually felt better and was in a better mood. So I'll keep taking it and see what happens. Going to schedule a Dr. Appt. with my GYN and see what he thinks about the pregnancy thing. I don't want to get pregnant but if we don't have to use any protection - well that is more freedom!! Now to just work on getting my weight down. The biggest problem I have which I never have had before is the tummy area. I think it can be done - I just think you have to do things differently than when you were younger.

I think you have to use more weights and do strength training. Also, I think it does matter what you put in your body. I know a lot of people on here say a calorie is a calorie, and maybe for some people that doesn't make a difference - it used to not make a difference for me. But know I notice a huge difference in my bloat, and weight gain and how I feel if I eat too many carbs and/or processed foods and don't balance my macros. Since I have been trying to hit the 40/30/30 - I have been able to eat more and I feel better.

I just need to develop a good plan for me weekends - that is where I fail - not even so much that I eat too much - but that I don't eat enough and definately don't eat good, and drink more than I normally do. That alcohol does a number on my metabalism now.
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'd keep using a contraceptive until you see your gynaecologist just to be sure you don't get pregnant.

My plan is cardio, weights and yoga. I have various injuries that are limiting me but I have seen improvements over the past 6 weeks of activity. Where before I was practically sedentary I now try to do about an hour of light aerobics and treadmill 5 days a week and have not lost ANY weight according to the scales but have lost several centimetres in girth.
    I don't drink much alcohol or eat many processed foods, I've added more protein and less bad carbohydrates (except for bread) and I try to limit my portions.
    I think as we get older we have to use the perseverance we've developed over our lifetimes to keep the momentum for change going as it seems to take so long to see the results of what feels like a lot of hard work!
    Weekends are tough but presumably once you get into the right mindset it'll get easier - that's what I keep telling myself.
    Good luck!