Self-Confidence. One of the reasons I'm loving NROL4W!

Options
karensoxfan
karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
I wrote this in a note to a new NROL4W friend for a compliment she gave me in my newsfeed this morning, but I wanted to share this part here, because it came as such a surprise to me to find myself writing these things. I started NROL4W less than a month ago (April 16), and it's like I'm in a dream to even think about the changes I see in myself, both in my head, and in my body. Physically, I can see myself shrinking, and I can feel that my gains in strength are making my life easier, like my weekly dance class, or the day I walked 20 miles for charity, and then carried my 45 lb. sleeping daughter up 22 stairs to bed that night.

I feel like a completely different person since I started NROL4W. Like in the book, where he talks about the woman who said she never felt like someone who "could" exercise. I felt like I "couldn't" do half of what I've already accomplished in the past month, and it feels incredible to be actually doing it.

Even reading the book, I had serious self-doubt about using barbells, and never mind pushups & jackknives. I would have told you there was 100% no way I'd stick with any program long enough to EVER do a full pushup on my toes, on the floor, but now I feel the complete opposite, and I'm 100% sure that I WILL do a full floor pushup someday, and if it's not in 2012, then it will be in 2013. I don't know how long it will take (on Saturday, I moved down from the 7th peg on the Smith to the 6th for my pushups), but having the confidence to know that I'll be able to do it is something I've never had, and it's like a runners high, only better.

Anyway, I wanted to share this, and I hope some of you can relate to it, but I also wanted to share it in case anyone is on the fence about whether to try NROL4W or not. I love it so far, so I hope anyone considering it will give it a try. :)

Replies

• JustACaJen
    JustACaJen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Such a great post Karen! Thanks for sharing! I am only on workout 1B-2 today, but I already know that I will feel what you feel. Already my confidence is growing. Already I feel stronger. Already I enjoy it (this part... enjoying it... is the most difficult for me to find and so it makes me the happiest). I tell everyone about this book and this program. I am super excited to become super strong!!
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This makes me that much more excited to get going on this! Quitting time (work) can't come fast enough!!
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yea!!!!! I know how you feel. I didn't think I could do it. I was so scared that first week and the whole program seemed daunting. My body is actually changing now and it feels so good to see the changes in the mirror. I like that you do pushups on the smith machine too hehe. I started at like 11 then got down to the bench. Still can't do an actual pushup on the floor but it's going to happen one day.
    Starting stage 2 today...much shorter than stage 1 which is kinda exciting. Hoping to see more changes in the weeks to come!
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    awesome post, Karen! Thanks for sharing!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! All of it. So inspiring.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Great post Karen! I've only completed 4 workouts, and I already feel the same way. I didn't even feel like an idiot asking the gym guy to help me adjust the power cage at my last workout. He asked if I was doing squats, I said, yep, and he said "cool". Not "why the heck is a fat girl like you trying to do squats?" which was, of course, the dialogue in my head.

Keep it up - we are close to each other in the program and have a very close starting weight, so this should be a good journey!
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Love this post!!!

I am loving it too. My strength has greatly increased in just two weeks. I also carried a 45 pound child up the stairs and was amazed I could do it. I lifted when I was younger but never with purpose or a plan! I enjoy this so much I can't atop talking about it.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Love the post and loving the program!
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Your self confidence is soaring!!!! It's "reaching out and touching us"!!! In a good way!!! lol
    Congrats to you for finding your mojo ......your definitely on the path to greater health and better self confidence!!! The longer you stick with it the better the results!!!
    So excited for you and just love how you share your love of lifting with us.....be sure to continue sharing your successes!!!
    Its definitely a mood lifter for those who are struggling and wondering if this is it!!!
    YIPPEE!! for you.....continue on my friend!!!! =D
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, great post and thanks for sharing! I am very excited to begin tomorrow!! My body is ready for a new program to change things up. I've been eating my maintenance calories for a couple weeks to get my body nourished after cutting them way too much earlier this year.