New Girl on the block... ;) Need some guidance pls

Options
KarinFit4Life
KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
Hi all!

My name is Karin. I'm 33 years old. Living in sunny South Africa. :)
I've been on MFP and on my weight loss journey since end September 2011. Like so many other headless chickens I followed MFP to a T and started at 1200 calories a day. And I started 30Day Shred, so in others words...I netted about 900-1000 cals SOME days... *facepalm*
BUT...I lost weight! Thought "whoohoo" this is so worth it even though I'm darn hungry all the time and cheated on weekends a lot.
By mid December 2011 (less than 3 months later) I've lost 7kg (15lbs) and I was really happy, and thought after my Dec holiday away I'll lose the other 15lbs before April 2012.
Uhm....no.

So I got back from my holiday and I got my MIL staying for 3 weeks (bad eating then) and I got sick so no exercising. Gained about 2.5kg (5.5lbs).
Got back to exercising and eating clean again by mid February 2012 only. And lost the 2.5kg (5.5lbs) by end March 2012. Awesome! Or not.... netted once again around 1000-1200 cals a day. Did hectic exercising too.
AND GOT STUCK!! PLATEUA is such a dirty word. :(

Started reading a lot, did a lot of calculations, bought Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle (Tom Venuto), got a bit of a "aha!" moment with that. Upped my cals to 1600 according to the book, kept exercising but stayed at 1600 a day.
Nothing. No up, no down, no nothing.
Got Dan's (helloitsdan) link to his explanation and Fattofitradio and got my numbers....almost had a heart attack..surely thats too much!!??

Saw EM2WL.... so I thought, you awesome people will surely be able to steer me in the right direction!
So here goes:

Eating since 3 May 2012 - 1800 calories per day (about 1.5 weeks now) - No changes yet in my weight or measurements.
Macros - 30% Fat, 30% Protein, 40% Carbs.

Height: 165cm (5'5)
Weight: 68.5kg (151lbs)
BMR: - according to Scooby = 1454
- according to Fattofitradio = 1381 (Kath McArdle)
TDEE: 2125 - 2250 (Kath & Scooby) - Moderate exercise **
Body fat: 31% (according to Fattofitradio Military calculation) (My calipers tells me 29%...so I guess between the two then)

** I do 30DS/ Ripped in 30, 4-6 times a week and cardio (30 -50min mostly Incline power walk on treadmill) 5 days a week. Also have 3 kids, youngest 14months. I work from home, desk job, but working from home means doing house work during day as well, doing clothes washing, picking up after kids, cooking etc.

I've bought NROLFW - finished reading it last week and I'm very excited about it. Have done some weight training in the gym the last month, machine weights mostly.
So I'm going to start the NROLFW workout soon...I'm just nervous about going on my own, not knowing the equipment very well.
Any suggestions? I hate being intimidated by those muscle maniacs in the weight section, thats why I felt safer with the machine weights.

Want to lose another 15 - 20lbs depending on muscle definition...I'm not too worried about scale, just want to look good naked! :)
My trouble areas are my tummy and hips, I've got a protruding tummy still look a bit preggies to myself and love handles. I've got strong legs, so I'm happy about that, but hips and tummy are my heart sore.

Hips - 39 inches
Tummy - 37 inches
Waist - 32 inches

I'm sorry for the long post...I've been wanting to post here for a few weeks, and only now got my thoughts together for it all.

What I want to know is, Am I eating enough now (1800) and will I see changes in a few weeks being consistent? And any suggestions or changes will be welcomed. :)

Thanks a lot!
Karin
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Off the top of my head, I think you might need to go up a bit. My BMR & TDEE numbers are the same as yours (or very close), and I'm eating 1900 per day (usually a little more actually, but that's my goal). That number seems to be my sweet spot because I've dropped many inches, about 5 pounds & a couple of sizes in 5 weeks of eating more. No joke!
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Off the top of my head, I think you might need to go up a bit. My BMR & TDEE numbers are the same as yours (or very close), and I'm eating 1900 per day (usually a little more actually, but that's my goal). That number seems to be my sweet spot because I've dropped many inches, about 5 pounds & a couple of sizes in 5 weeks of eating more. No joke!

5 pounds!?! Awesome!! I would love to be able to lose 5lbs in 5 weeks, hehe. I think 10lbs is sitting in my tummy and hips alone!
    Thank you for your reply Rebekah!
    I might just add another 100 cals a day and see how it goes then! And with doing propper weight training it might do the trick for me too. :)
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Rebekah - what kind of exercises do you do? And how much/many?
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Wow! I think you are my m.f.p. twin! Our numbers are almost identical, and I too started eating too little and doing 30 day shred and recently ripped in 30. I started n.r.o.l.w. yesterday, and plan to do it 3 days a week. The other three days I plan to finish couch 25k. The numbers are so confusing, so I am sticking to the book and eating 2000 calories on non lifting days and 2300 on weight training days. Its a bit less active than I've been lately, but I understand that to build muscle, you need to rest it as well as work it. Im also not going to weigh myself for a month. Its not like ill put on the 21 lbs I lost in a month right? Im trusting the books approach. If its worked for so many others, it will work for me.
    I should also say that I am intimidated by the weights a little too, so I wont be going to the weight room at the gym until I feel confident that i know what im doing! Im glad that the book has illustrations to show you the workouts!
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Wow! I think you are my m.f.p. twin! Our numbers are almost identical, and I too started eating too little and doing 30 day shred and recently ripped in 30. I started n.r.o.l.w. yesterday, and plan to do it 3 days a week. The other three days I plan to finish couch 25k. The numbers are so confusing, so I am sticking to the book and eating 2000 calories on non lifting days and 2300 on weight training days. Its a bit less active than I've been lately, but I understand that to build muscle, you need to rest it as well as work it. Im also not going to weigh myself for a month. Its not like ill put on the 21 lbs I lost in a month right? Im trusting the books approach. If its worked for so many others, it will work for me.
    I should also say that I am intimidated by the weights a little too, so I wont be going to the weight room at the gym until I feel confident that i know what im doing! Im glad that the book has illustrations to show you the workouts!

Hi turningstar!
    Thanks for ure post! The book told me as well 1930 on rest days and 2180 on work out days - Im not yet that brave!!
    But Ill hopefully get there. Ive looked into couch 5k! Lol...so think Ill do that too.
    Do you do weights at home? How do u do the first squat exercise without a squat rack....Id love to do it all at home.
    Will up my cals to 1900 at the most for now I think.
    Would love to add u as friend if thats okay with you. :-)
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Sorry!! I forget where I've posted, so I suck at following up sometimes. My goal is to do the NROLFW 3 times a week and HIIT or more moderate cardio 2 times per week. Honestly though, my schedule has been so up in the air that I haven't managed any consistency. Hoping to rectify that when my kids are out of school. So, really, I wasn't exercising a whole lot when I started all this. I averaged cardio (maybe) twice a week and managed a few lifting sessions.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The book told me as well 1930 on rest days and 2180 on work out days - Im not yet that brave!!
    But Ill hopefully get there.

You are already here.. be brave.. jump right in...
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options

Sorry!! I forget where I've posted, so I suck at following up sometimes. My goal is to do the NROLFW 3 times a week and HIIT or more moderate cardio 2 times per week. Honestly though, my schedule has been so up in the air that I haven't managed any consistency. Hoping to rectify that when my kids are out of school. So, really, I wasn't exercising a whole lot when I started all this. I averaged cardio (maybe) twice a week and managed a few lifting sessions.

Lol! No problem, thank u for answering! :-)
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    The book told me as well 1930 on rest days and 2180 on work out days - Im not yet that brave!!

Hehe....you have a point Juicemoogan....
    I guess I have nothing to lose...except a whole lot of inches... ;-)
    Ill go up again in a week or two, doing it gradually and telling my body to trust the consistancy. :-)
    Xx
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options

Hehe....you have a point Juicemoogan....
    I guess I have nothing to lose...except a whole lot of inches... ;-)
    Ill go up again in a week or two, doing it gradually and telling my body to trust the consistancy. :-)
    Xx