When to Lower Calories?

Options
Marillian
Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
When I started MFP in January, I was eating around 1500 calories. I found out about eating more in early March, so I upped my calories to between 1800 and 1875. I'm fairly sedentary. I'm not fit, I know that. I noticed that most of the people in this group either have a small amount to lose, or are very fit or active. I'm neither of those. I have a lot of weight to lose. I haven't lost inches, and I'm gaining weight.

How much longer should I stick to eating more before lowering to lose weight? I know my metabolism is destroyed from 30 years of yo-yo dieting (and hyperthyroid). MFP says I should eat just over 1500 calories. I'm eating when I'm not hungry just to fulfill my calorie goal.

I cannot keep gaining. That defeats why I am here and gets very discouraging. I am committed to lose weight, but seeing the scale go up really scares the heck out of me.

What to do??

Replies

• jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see what others have to say, but do you know how much I wish I had followed this way of life when I still had a lot to lose??? You may have messed with your metabolism, but because you are carrying that extra weight, that also means you are carrying extra muscle mass to haul it around and you have the opportunity to KEEP that muscle while you lose! Not have to be towards the end of losing weight, trying to fix the metabolism AND being worried about how much muscle you lost along the way starving yourself. It is just not worth it for fast weight loss. If I could go back and do it all differently, I would in a heartbeat!

I know that doesn't answer your question, and I am probably not qualified to do so, but just try to feed your body and not starve yourself to lose weight, it is so not worth it in the long run.

Hope you get the answers you need!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Please know that you are not alone in your fears. I have been eating more for 5 weeks now (on my 6th week) and I have gained a total of 5 pounds and 6 inches. Trust me...I know how you feel and every day is a struggle not to go back to starving myself (even though I know that doesn't work either!) I also have terribly messed up my metabolism and for those of us who spent years doing that, it will take us a little longer and a few more frustrated tears and panic attacks before we will see the loss. Every time I feel like 'this isn't working for me' I do a few things:

1. I look back at my graph that shows me how little I used to eat and remember how horrible that was and the health issues that accompanied it (depression, exhaustion, insomnia, sick all the time, etc.)

2. I remind myself that it's simply a matter of finding the right numbers for me (I just ordered a Body Media Fit to help with that)

3. I think of how much happier my husband is to see me enjoying life again, food-wise and health-wise.

4. I remind myself that I refuse to give in to that evil voice that demands I suffer at a lower cal/high workout regime diet when I know that God never intended me to suffer to maintain a healthy weight. He intended BALANCE and healthy resolutions. (even if you don't believe in God, I believe that most people believe in balance and healthy options. :smile: )

5. I remind myself that I want to be happy, healthy and NORMAL....to get there I must endure the consequences of my earlier stupidity until my body resets.

Keep on fighting for your health. Don't give up. Find the right numbers for you and work them!! Use this group to be a support.

And in answer to your question, rarely is anyone going to tell you to decrease your calories in here. They might tell you to increase or decrease exercise, change your exercise style or actually increase your calories...but rarely decrease.

It's a mind game...play it well and WIN!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Please know that you are not alone in your fears. I have been eating more for 5 weeks now (on my 6th week) and I have gained a total of 5 pounds and 6 inches. Trust me...I know how you feel and every day is a struggle not to go back to starving myself (even though I know that doesn't work either!) I also have terribly messed up my metabolism and for those of us who spent years doing that, it will take us a little longer and a few more frustrated tears and panic attacks before we will see the loss. Every time I feel like 'this isn't working for me' I do a few things:

1. I look back at my graph that shows me how little I used to eat and remember how horrible that was and the health issues that accompanied it (depression, exhaustion, insomnia, sick all the time, etc.)

2. I remind myself that it's simply a matter of finding the right numbers for me (I just ordered a Body Media Fit to help with that)

3. I think of how much happier my husband is to see me enjoying life again, food-wise and health-wise.

4. I remind myself that I refuse to give in to that evil voice that demands I suffer at a lower cal/high workout regime diet when I know that God never intended me to suffer to maintain a healthy weight. He intended BALANCE and healthy resolutions. (even if you don't believe in God, I believe that most people believe in balance and healthy options. :smile: )

5. I remind myself that I want to be happy, healthy and NORMAL....to get there I must endure the consequences of my earlier stupidity until my body resets.

Keep on fighting for your health. Don't give up. Find the right numbers for you and work them!! Use this group to be a support.

And in answer to your question, rarely is anyone going to tell you to decrease your calories in here. They might tell you to increase or decrease exercise, change your exercise style or actually increase your calories...but rarely decrease.

It's a mind game...play it well and WIN!

This.

Go back and read through the stickies at the top. Since you have done 30 years of metabolism damage by eating lower amount, it might take longer than a few weeks to reset yourself.. Its very frustrating to see the scale go up especially when you are doing everything you are supposed to.. but TRUST in the process. It does work. I gained about 3-4 pounds in the first 6 weeks, and now I have lost those plus an additional 3ish more. Ive also lost 3 inches all over, and I eat 2400 cals a day.

Make sure you have your numbers correct.. you should be eating your TDEE - 15%.. it is possible you are still not eating enough.

I know it seems very odd. We are programmed to believe we have to starve ourselves to lose weight, but thats not the case. Give yourself some time to allow your metabolism to catch up.. Put the scale away for a few more weeks and concentrate on eating more.. eat Full fat foods. no more Diet stuff... add in high calorie low density items like Nuts, and oils so you arent actually eating more, but your using up calories..

Believe in it.. give your body time to catch up.. I promise you, it does get easier.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    If it's any consolation, there are a few of us here that have plenty of weight to lose and aren't as fit as some others. Me, for instance....I have about 40 lbs to lose and I'm nowhere near as fit as Kiki or Lucia!!

I started EM2WL in March and it took an entire SIX WEEKS before my weight started trending downwards.

I know it's hard when you're seeing the scale going up but you have to stick with it. Lowering your food intake at this point will only work against you, esp since you've spent years doing the yo-yo thing.

It may take your body a little while longer to adjust.

Just hang in there!!! Keep focused and keep coming back here for encouragement!
  • Marillian
    Options
    What's funny is that I never felt like I was "starving" myself. I was on Weight Watchers for so long and thought I was eating plenty. At one point, I had lost 100 pounds, then regained that back over 8 years (plus more). The only time I was truly miserable when I did the "Just 10". I did it for 30 days and although I lost 15 pounds, I was ALWAYS hungry, very moody (I became a downright b!tch) and miserable.

I'm pretty sure I have my TDEE and BMR correct, but I've used a number of different methods to calculate it, I really am not sure what my numbers are. This is strange to me to be confused, since I have a Mensa IQ (but not in math LOL!!).

Would anyone here be willing to run my numbers? If so, please send me a private message and I'll send you my info.

Thanks for all of your support!!
  • Marillian
    Options

Would anyone here be willing to run my numbers? If so, please send me a private message and I'll send you my info.

Still hoping someone is able to help me figure it out. (I'm too embarassed to post my stats publicly) Thanks.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Here sweetie!
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I have a bodymedia and this is by far the closest calculator I've seen to the numbers I have received from the BMF and metabolic testing I did. Hang in there!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP in January, I was eating around 1500 calories. I found out about eating more in early March, so I upped my calories to between 1800 and 1875. I'm fairly sedentary. I'm not fit, I know that. I noticed that most of the people in this group either have a small amount to lose, or are very fit or active. I'm neither of those. I have a lot of weight to lose. I haven't lost inches, and I'm gaining weight.

How much longer should I stick to eating more before lowering to lose weight? I know my metabolism is destroyed from 30 years of yo-yo dieting (and hyperthyroid). MFP says I should eat just over 1500 calories. I'm eating when I'm not hungry just to fulfill my calorie goal.

I cannot keep gaining. That defeats why I am here and gets very discouraging. I am committed to lose weight, but seeing the scale go up really scares the heck out of me.

What to do??

Hey sweetie,

With 30 years of yo-yo dieting under your belt, you have to take into consideration how many times you have lost weight and then gained it back PLUS some extra. Is that any different that seeing the scale go up, but for an actual *reason* now? Take the *whole* picture into account. If you have stuck out the low cal madness for 30 years, then why give your body unreasonable demands to "fix" itself in such a short period of time? We are not talking about those "quick fixes" that you've become accustomed to. We are talking about the rest of your life. :flowerforyou:

Aren't you tired of dieting? :yawn:

Lord knows I was.

You aren't hungry because your body has adapted to eating lower cals. You have ignored giving your body what it needs for so long, that the two of you are no longer on the same page. The only way to fix is is to eat. :ohwell: You have to prepare your body for the rest of your life. To get and KEEP the weight off. Not get it off, then gain it right back, which is what will continue to happen if you continue to lower your cals.

In addition to reading the stickies (especially on "patience"), http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience , and watching the vids, I highly suggest reading the following post, to that you can fully understand what happens when you eat less than your body requires, and why you NEED to go through the refeed process in order to "fix" it. Things have to get worse before they get better. :frown:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/the-starvation-experiment-208077

It takes time for *ANYTHING THAT LASTS* to happen. It will not be an overnight fix, but it WILL be permanent.

The calculator that graysmom gave you is one of the best, I recommend using it to run your numbers (its very user friendly) and even if it gives you a higher #, eat it! You have no idea how much your body NEEDS that extra food in the beginning....

This is the rest of your life, babe, stick it out. You can do it :drinker:

~Kiki

ETA: here's another recent post, similar to yours, if you haven't read it already. lots of helpful advice:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/598638-almost-at-6-weeks-and-feeling-nervous
  • Marillian
    Options
    Wow, you ladies are amazing!! Thank you for that wake up call and mental boost I needed it!! I'm going to shed my embarrassment and give you my stats.

Based on http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I am 54 years old. I weigh 296 and am 5'10" (70"). I chose desk/sedentary. I come up with these figures:

BMR 2028
    TDEE 2433
    Daily Goal at 15% = 2068

So, if I understand this correctly, I should eat a minimum of 2068 calories every day without exercise. If I exercise, I should only eat back half of the calories that MFP says I earned.

Correct?

Again, a huge thank you for all of your help!!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Wow, you ladies are amazing!! Thank you for that wake up call and mental boost I needed it!! I'm going to shed my embarrassment and give you my stats.

Based on http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I am 54 years old. I weigh 296 and am 5'10" (70"). I chose desk/sedentary. I come up with these figures:

BMR 2028
    TDEE 2433
    Daily Goal at 15% = 2068

So, if I understand this correctly, I should eat a minimum of 2068 calories every day without exercise. If I exercise, I should only eat back half of the calories that MFP says I earned.

Correct?

Again, a huge thank you for all of your help!!

Your TDEE should have your exercise already figured in. Here's why I say that for you- you've been yo-yoing for a long long time. Your body needs to learn to trust you again so feeding it varying amounts isn't going to help. Feed yourself the same amount every day while you reset your metabolism. Figure in your exercise to you TDEE calculations. Take 15% off that and eat the remainder.

I took a month and a half of eating 2500 cals a day (I'm 260lbs) before I started varying intake again due to exercise. We have to give ourselves time to heal and our body time to trust us again.