Has anyone hit a weight loss plateau on Ideal Protein?

Options
onikonor
onikonor Posts: 473 Member
Hi all, I'm so glad I found this community.

I'm joined the Ideal Protein diet program about a month ago. My mini goal is to lose 20 lb but I would ultimately like to lose another 20 through exercise and lifestyle changes.

I have hit the dreaded weigh loss plateau on week 2 of the program!

Week 1 lost 7.5 lb
Week 2 lost 1 lb
Week 3 lost 1 lb
Week 4 so far lost about 1 lb with a couple days left

I feel very discouraged because I'm following the program exactly. Has anyone experienced this? Right now I feel like I'm wasting money with no results.

Replies

• thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I was doing it at home without a consultant, but followed the diet very closely. I lost 12 pounds the first week and then struggled to lose .2 per day after that, which is normal since your body is no losing fat versus water and excess during the beginning. It caused me to go off track really bad and then had to recommit myself and accept small losses that add up over the long run versus giving up and gaining more than I would have lost per day lol.

I also had stalls when doing low carb diets before (even in the 2nd-3rd week) and just had to stick it in there until it started back up. I have dieted so much in my life that I wonder how I'm not an expert yet :(
  • onikonor
    Options
    Well, I've just completed week 4 and lost 3.5 pounds. It could just have been some water weight.

The funny thing about week 4 was twice I had toast with peanut butter because I was hungry and still ended up losing... while weeks 1-3 no cheating at all.
  • DudleyYVR
    DudleyYVR Posts: 15
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water and eating enough salads. That does it for me.
  • onikonor
    Options
    Yeah I was drinking plenty of water about 6-8 cups daily. I've done some research and plateaus and people say to change up your meals.

So I'm not really supposed to have nuts or bread on the diet but i thought what the hell, let me try. I added a slice of bran toast and peanut butter for snacks (week 4 and 5) and more weight came off!

Week 1 lost 7.5 lb
    Week 2 lost 1 lb
    Week 3 lost 1 lb
    Week 4 lost 3.5 lb
    Week 5 lost 2.5
  • birdie8fish
    birdie8fish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hit one too and I had to change my veggies as well as my protein at night, I was doing a lot of chicken since Im not the biggest fan of red meat. I go in to weigh today but I can tell a physical difference so hopefully the scale shows it too.
  • wyojamie1982
    wyojamie1982 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been on it since February and was hoping to be at my goal by now of 35 pounds lost. But it is slow. I'm finding my enthusiasm is dwindling and I'm cheating more than I should. Not bad cheats like sitting down and eating a buffet of carbs but just miss being able to have fruit sometimes. I really need to find some renewed energy so I can get rid of these last 10 lbs. But I have found doing a variety of food has helped. If you know others doing the diet try swapping packets so that you have a variety.
  • onikonor
    Options
    I have been on it since February and was hoping to be at my goal by now of 35 pounds lost. But it is slow. I'm finding my enthusiasm is dwindling and I'm cheating more than I should. Not bad cheats like sitting down and eating a buffet of carbs but just miss being able to have fruit sometimes. I really need to find some renewed energy so I can get rid of these last 10 lbs. But I have found doing a variety of food has helped. If you know others doing the diet try swapping packets so that you have a variety.

Yeah, I have about 10 lb to go and it's very slow now. I've decided to go off the program and start working out since I have no energy to work out on the program. I started adding peanut butter daily and ended up losing more weight those weeks, so i dont know :( Shacking things up seems to help but I can't stay on this program too long since I find it too restrictive.

The good part is I get difference food from my coach every week. She has lots of boxes in the office and I can choose whatever I want.
  • bufstuff1010
    Options
    Yes i did at 25 pds and at 40 pds.keep going ,your body is still resetting inside and till doing the work mit diddnt take us 1 week to get big its not gonna be that way cominf off.YOU CAN DO IT !! i am on week 6 of maintenece and love it ,still mentally feel big ,but feel great .I started in novemver and lost 43 pds and 39 inches .This program works just trade out different veggies or protein ,Usually when i diddnt loose i always lost inches then i would have a woppin loss ..Good luck keep focused ,just bang it out !!!
  • ACPotter88
    Options
    At week 4, you probably were thrown out of ketosis by eating the carbs then went back in a day or two later. Its interesting, I actually work in a clinic that has IP and thats how I learned about it. I've been on the program since Mothers Day and had my first real (major) cheat last week. I went into phase 3 but really overindulged. <--Dont do that when you get there, trust me. But I put myself back on phase 1 and have lost 5.5lbs in 5 days. Your pancreas probably got turned back on and now is resting again. But don't keep cheating. If you do, the protocol wont work for you. It will turn into another yo-yo diet.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I hit plateaus too, but it is because I started cheating. I do well during the week, but the weekends are getting tougher for me. Last week I had dental surgery and they had me add some carbs, fruit and cheese to get me out of ketosis. That just made me want that stuff more. I have been on it for 3 months and lost 25 pounds. I have noticed that when I go off and have a little extra protein that I have a big loss the following week. I think our body thinks its starving and wants more food. Then when we eat a little more, then it shakes things up a bit and you start losing. Since I started adding a little more protein, I do have more energy and have been able to workout. I still stay away from the carbs, fruit and cheese. Those seem to add it back very quickly. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • newtonnola62
    Options
    I'm on my 5th week, no cheating whatsoever. I too have been losing at a snails pace. Lost 4 lbs then 3. The last two weeks have only been 1 lb each week! I follow very closely and have no answers
  • dihar2
    dihar2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Find a knowledgeable consultant. They make all the difference. Don't be afraid to change consultants. I did and the pounds are rolling off again and I feel better than ever with her change recommendations. I lost 20 lbs in my first month and 44 lbs in 4 months. Struggled for 6 weeks. Took 4 of those weeks to lose 8 lbs. Now back to 3 lbs on average per week. Total lost on IP is 59lbs. I feel good, am not hungry or craving on new regime. There is no way anyone should only lose 1 lb week after week. Measuring weekly is important too for showing inch loss progress. I've lost a lot of inches. Gone from a tight 28 jean to a comfy 22 so far. There are lots of things to do , not do that makes ALL the difference. Get help.
  • spirit1st
    spirit1st Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too am a little discouraged as I have only lost 1lb in a week. I don't understand it. What kind of changes did you make to re-vamp your weight loss?
  • AZ247
    AZ247 Posts: 5
    Options
    Loving all the comments! This will keep me encouraged when (if) I hit that plateau.
  • fourstubbs
    fourstubbs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too. I've lost 43 pounds and for the past couple weeks, I've lost .4 and .2...I started eating more at lunch...I was only drinking a shake for breakfast and lunch, eating protein and my veggies for dinner. I am hoping that helps the scale to move, I need it to stay encouranged. So what did you all do to shake things up??? :)
  • Brumsey68
    Options
    fitwithin wrote: »
    I hit plateaus too, but it is because I started cheating. I do well during the week, but the weekends are getting tougher for me. Last week I had dental surgery and they had me add some carbs, fruit and cheese to get me out of ketosis. That just made me want that stuff more. I have been on it for 3 months and lost 25 pounds. I have noticed that when I go off and have a little extra protein that I have a big loss the following week. I think our body thinks its starving and wants more food. Then when we eat a little more, then it shakes things up a bit and you start losing. Since I started adding a little more protein, I do have more energy and have been able to workout. I still stay away from the carbs, fruit and cheese. Those seem to add it back very quickly. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

• GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you think that is discouraging... wait until you go out of ketosis or stop the program. Anything you lose in your first week is almost a guaranteed to come back as your body replaces glutamine(?) and other things in your liver/body. There's no way to prevent it (and probably why phase 3 limits your calorie intake so you keep losing weight back to your low point). Also - when you're on low carb - track your calories, they'll help with your weight loss - ketosis from what I understand, just allows you to eat low calorie while keeping muscle mass.
  • pamfron
    pamfron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in week 4, haven't cheated at all and haven't lost ANYTHING for 9 days :neutral: I was working out in the beginning, but didn't feel well when doing so, so I stopped. That's the only change I've made. I eat nothing but salads with chicken or turkey and the protein packs. Feeling discouraged
  • nisharae89
    nisharae89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    spirit1st wrote: »
    I too am a little discouraged as I have only lost 1lb in a week. I don't understand it. What kind of changes did you make to re-vamp your weight loss?

Use a food scale.. made a huge difference for me.. I was eating way too much protein without knowing it.
  • magickbox
    magickbox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this group is still active. I took off nearly 100 lbs. on IP as of 4 years ago and have kept it off with the exception of yo-yo-ing about 10 lbs on vacations and such. In the last year, I had let it creep up about 20 lbs and am really stuck. What used to work doesn't seem to anymore as if my body has decided on a new normal. I'll lose like 5-6 pounds going back on IP but then it just stops. The key when I was losing the first time was I did an egg white omelet in the early morning, an IP product in late morning, lunch (salad with 2 oz protein), afternoon IP, dinner (protein and vegetable), night IP snack + 8 glasses water. Worked like a charm. Not anymore. Anyone have this experience of having a lot of success with a lot of weight but struggling with less to lose?