Warm up sets

Options
lostalykat
lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
Hey everyone, I read that doing lower weight warm-up sets is a good way to go. I tried to do that with deadlifts but I was only able to lift the bar which was 45lbs, and I was deadlifting 55lbs I think it is supposed to be lower. Also are you warming up on each exercise? I forgot yesterday and it was only my 2nd day so I am not too worried about it. I feel like I need to figure out these deadlifts, I am used to doing straight legged deadlifts but the book and various videos say to bend your knees at the bottom, I tried that yesterday and I am not sure I was in proper form...hmm any help would be great!

Replies

• mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I don't warm up on each exercise. I do a little bit of cardio and stretching before I begin. Not sure if that is correct, but that's what I do!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I don't warm up on each exercise either. I do some stretching & cardio warmup, then usually 1 warmup set of squats or deadlifts (depending whether I'm doing workout A or B), then I go into the actual Workout. I found the part in the book about a warmup set to be confusing though, so I could be doing it wrong.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I have just been doing 6-10 mins of cardio, and then the suggested dynamic stretches given in the book (squat to stand, inchworm, etc). I didn't even realize that it was suggested to do warm up reps of each exercise, but it's not a bad idea I suppose.

If you're unsure about your form on doing the deadlifts with bent knees, I'd focus on just using the Olympic bar until you're more confident. Look up youtube videos on how to deadlift, or even better yet get a trainer or someone knowledgable to check your form. I was unsure about how much of a squat motion to do during deadlifts, and had a trainer to instruct me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my warm up usually consists of 1 rounds of a circuit training complex where i use a 25 pound weight plate to do 8 each of overhead squats, plate swings, upright row, pushups, reverse lunge with twist and diagonal throws. then i do some dynamic stretching. finally i might do a warm up set of the first exercise i'll be doing with a weight that's half of what i'll be starting with.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    a warmup set is done to bring blood into the muscle you are training so that it can prepare for lifting heavier , you would do this to prevent injury to the muscle.
    a light set which you should perform 15-25 reps should be done , this should be enough reps to give you a small "pump" whereas the muscle is prefilled with blood and is "warm"
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I follow the book and do a general warm-up plus exercise specific warm-ups on the first 2-3 exercises.