I need protein food ideas

Options
Nektariosmom
Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
Hi, I am never near my protein goal. I only get up to about halfway of what my goal is every day. I am not a big meat eater so this is hard for me. I would appreciate protein ideas that aren't very high in calories. Is there such a thing?

Replies

• emilyjmcg
    emilyjmcg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try eating cottage cheese or greek yogurt, both have a lot more protein than you'd think and are really filling too! They're around 100 calories for a serving, so relatively low-cal.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I like baby bel lights, they are full of protein and only 50 cals a piece :)
  • Nektariosmom
    Options
    good ideas, I am more of a dairy person than a meat person. thanks!
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My go tos are cottage cheese and greek yogurt too. Peanut butter and eggs are great. protein shakes give you a ton of protein too.
  • rwarner430
    rwarner430 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Beans, Tofu, Milk, Soymilk, Nuts, Fish, Yogurt, Cheese, Eggs, PB
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Try making a protein power shake occasionally. I usually do 12 oz. fat free milk, 1 scoop protein powder (I like the BioChem brand 100% whey protein isolate as it has no added fillers), 2 tsp. cocoa powder, and a calorie free sweetner like Stevia or Truvia. Sometimes if I'm feeling naughty I'll put in a little chocolate syrup as well.

There are lots of "protein muffin" recipes out there. Most are somewhere in the range of 8-12 grams of protein per muffin, which isn't much but better than any other muffin or bread you might be eating. Here is a chocolate muffin recipe I like: http://thekimchallenge.com/?p=8833. Serve with peanut butter for even more protein. Also been meaning to try one of the carrot cake protein muffin recipes but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the muffins make a great dessert that I don't have to feel guilty about.
  • Nektariosmom
    Options
    Great ideas. Thanks. I was looking at the protein powders at the nutritional store and they all had lots of sugar. Is stevia healthy? Never tried it. I want to try those muffins!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have this problem! I also don't eat dairy and soy so it's hard.

Stevia isn't bad. The protein powder I use has stevia.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    There are lots of protein powders available that have no added sweeteners or sugar. Just do a search on google, and you'll find some brands then you can call the store in your area to see if they have it. I actually recommend just ordering it online as there are way more options and it's usually much cheaper (even when you factor in the shipping).

I made my own version of the carrot cake muffins and just uploaded the recipe if you want to check it out!
  • Nektariosmom
    Options
    There are lots of protein powders available that have no added sweeteners or sugar. Just do a search on google, and you'll find some brands then you can call the store in your area to see if they have it. I actually recommend just ordering it online as there are way more options and it's usually much cheaper (even when you factor in the shipping).

I made my own version of the carrot cake muffins and just uploaded the recipe if you want to check it out!
    yummy! I will! Thanks