I'm sold! Now what is my TDEE w/ P90x?

Options
Watched all the YouTube videos -- loved them! Have zero problem with the idea of eating at maintenance for the next 4-6 weeks to reset, especially since I just plotted my calories since April 1st and realized that I have been TERRIBLY INCONSISTENT! Holy smoke! I generally eat 2200-2300 calories one day a week. But the other days I see a range anywhere from 1400 to 2000. My goal has been 1700-1800 but I don't see that range showing up often enough to consider that the norm.

So, I think it's time to start over and be really intentional about being consistent. Plus I've been eating at some kind of deficit since August. The one week I decided not to track anything or exercise was the only week I've seen a loss on the scales since the end of January -- and that was right before starting P90X. I have lost inches, but with the calorie variations I'm seeing, I'm just not certain I'm eating enough anyway

But to figure out my TDEE, I'm not sure what activity level P90x puts me at. I'm on week 6 of the program.

I work a desk job 9 days out of 14. So, I am mostly sedentary but am lightly active on the other 5 (since I can't seem to sit down and be a bum on the weekends anymore) plus doing P90x 6 nights a week. On the strength training days I burn 300-400 calories; on the cardio days I'm burning 400-500. Not sure if the HRM can be believed for the strength training days. Also, since my personal calorie burns are nowhere close to the average 600 calories the program assumes you'll burn, I don't know whether I can confidently put myself into moderate or active.

I am:
35 yo female
5'3"
152 lb
32% BF (as of 2-3 weeks ago) -- can't get another accurate reading for another week or so thanks to TOM :grumble:
Harris Benedict BMR = 1448
Katch-McArdle = 1381

Please help me determine my TDEE once and for all so I can stick with something for more than a couple of weeks.

Thanks!!

Replies

• twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I ran your numbers and put you in 5-6 hours/wk strenous exercise as P90x is pretty hard out ... would you agree you do that many hours ... are you doing the whole thing?
    The TDEE is worked out for whole week which is why asked what exercise you do as it is al calculated into it.

With this in mind i got your
    BMR 1445
    TDEE 2493
    TDEE =15% 2119

You eat 2119 everyday and on days that you burn extra high you need to net at least or over your BMR.

Then again looking at the info in the P90x they say to eat more than that ...

I have found that you if i go with one thing and then see how it goes you can easily tweek it ... if losing then great and if not then maybe up your cals by 100-200 cals a week and see if any difference then.
    Measure yourself as well as scales as this may show rather than the scales which is also great as muscle weighs more than fat.
    I have found that in my short time here (so by no means a pro) that everyone is different and if you listen to your body and trial things then you can see what works for you. try it for a week and if no luck then up cals a little as i feel P90x is pretty hard out. I am about to start this week myself.
    Remember that EM2WL is a slightly slower way to lose but it is more likely to stay off if you go slower.
    Regardig the TDEE etc these numbers are only ever a guide so no two people are the same and so unfortunately you may have to find your own personal balance. So be patient and find what works for your body.

Hope this helps and good luck
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options
    Thank you for the help. I do the whole program -- well as much as I can do -- and I've recently decided to abandon the yoga and will work in some light Just Dance cardio with my kids instead. Some days are more strenuous than others, but I definitely don't get the calorie burn (according to my HRM) that they guesstimate in the program materials, which is why I was hesitant to overesimate my TDEE. But if I do want to try for maintenance, I need to get as close as possible.

If I do eat around 2100 calories a day, then that should leave me plenty of room to not go below my BMR except maybe on a day when I add heavy housework, too -- but that's abominably rare.

I had lost a few inches. Right now I can't get an accurate read on anything, so I should know more in a week or two. I was just so surprised how erratically I had been eating for someone who logs regularly 6 days out of 7. So, even though I haven't been overeating, I really need to get that back in control so that my poor body knows for sure that I'm taking care of it!
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yeah they say consistency is the key ... your body only cares about itself and so its main focus i survival. If you feed it regularly then it in theory should not worry about where it gets next meal from and go along with what you are doing.

The body does fluctuate a lot due to high sodium days, time of the month, hormones etc so don't get too cut up by it.

Just go with it and find where your body needs to sit to lose weight ... worked for me! I was at maintenance for 3 weeks and now dropped down to my -15% and starting to lose. haven't done measurements yet tho.

good luck