Eat BMR vs NET BMR

Options
2»

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic, can I just double check that I understand?

I have a BodyMedia FIT, so for me I know my TDEE (between 2600 and 3000 depending on day), and my BMR ~ 1560 or something close to that.

Using my BodyMedia FIT I have no concept of "exercise calories" as I wouldn't know what to count (e.g. I walk 4 miles a day to and from work, it's not "exercise" but it obviously burns a lot of calories, however I also do exercise DVD'S which actually burn less calories than my walk, but are more like "exercise").

Would it be safe for me to aim for a 500 cal deficit (I still have 40 odd lbs to lose, so I think 1lb a week deficit is suitable) on the basis that this will be between 500 and 900 cals above my BMR?

Thanks
    Steph there are a couple people on here that use it and hopefully they will jump in with what they are doing. Since it appears to be pretty accurate I am assuming since so many use it, what Scott is doing is eating 500 less from the previous days cals. So if on Tuesday his bodfit says 3000 then Wed he eats 2500, it seems to be working for him.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this makes a lot of sense.

I guess the reason for the day-delay that Scott uses is he doesn't know what that day will end up at? For me I have a very structured life, so I actually know that Mon, Tues & Fri I will burn 2600, Wed and Thurs will be 3000 and then a normal weekend will be 2400 ish, so I think it might be easier for me to eat the calories on the same day.

I can certainly see the benefit of eating them the following day though, I might have to try that out.

Thanks!
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this makes a lot of sense.

I guess the reason for the day-delay that Scott uses is he doesn't know what that day will end up at? For me I have a very structured life, so I actually know that Mon, Tues & Fri I will burn 2600, Wed and Thurs will be 3000 and then a normal weekend will be 2400 ish, so I think it might be easier for me to eat the calories on the same day.

I can certainly see the benefit of eating them the following day though, I might have to try that out.

Thanks!

ya that's what I have been doing, but I think I'm just going to eat my average, getting tired of going back and forth and since I am getting pretty accurate results of my daily burn I can just average it out. So my daily average tdee is 3250 so I'll set my cut at 2750 which is just about 15% less.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options

ya that's what I have been doing, but I think I'm just going to eat my average, getting tired of going back and forth and since I am getting pretty accurate results of my daily burn I can just average it out. So my daily average tdee is 3250 so I'll set my cut at 2750 which is just about 15% less.

Yeah I'm trying to eat a similar number of calories each day and then on my big workout days just eat an extra meal to save complicating things (I get confused and disheartened easily!)
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Steph and Scott, I will average as well. It will keep my calorie intake regular and my metabolism needs that! I'm going on my second week with BMF and I'm glad I got it! My numbers were way off using the other calculators!!
  • kooshajan
    kooshajan Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't get it! Can someone please advise! I've been eating my bmr of roughly 1600 but and don't always eat exercise cals completely back.

I'm 5ft2
    193lbs
    28 years old
    Bike anywhere from 30-80 mins daily..typically lesiurely and do 30 day shred (cardio and light weights) 7 days a week for 27 minutes.

I would like to have a 1.5 deficit seeing how I have over 50lbs to lose I don't think it's too much to ask for!!