Energy drinks & Paleo?

Options
jingoace
jingoace Posts: 219 Member
Are there any Energy drinks that would be o.k. on Paleo? I have in the past used a lo-carb Monster in the afternoons to keep me from falling asleep in the middle of the day, in lieu of any lunch, and it has helped keep me upright & functioning abit. . BUT, since trying to go Paleo this month I have NOT had any thing to drink but water. Rather than reaching for an energy drink, is there anything out there that would fill the need for more energy & still be considered within the guidelines for Paleo?

Thanks all, in advance, for your ideas,
:) J

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    green tea? :)

And that wouldn't be strict paleo either.
    I do some tea and coffee. I don't mind the occasional monster no sugar but I don't kid myself that it is good for me.
    You should find your energy level stabilizing once you kick the sugar and high carb habit.
    This alone should help. I like eating more fat and protein for extra energy. like..... um.... bacon.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Instead of energy drinks you may want to look at some type of vitamin suppliments...especially in the B family - I take a whole food B complex vitamin every day to maintain good health.

If you look on the back of a lot of the energy drinks you will see that the Vitamin B % is wicked high...

Maybe actually eating a lunch will help with maintaining energy levels rather than just drinking an energy drink. Things that have a decent amount of good fat and protien should help. Maybe add in some coffee for some caffine if you can tolerate caffine.
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bacon, huh? I'll make some slices up & take them with me.

Tea - good idea. I've been putting a Biegelow peppermint spearmint teabag into a cute flower-pot shaped mug &
    leaving it on my kitchen table, so every time I come into the kitchen when I see the cute flower-pot, then I take a
    goodly swig of tea... These flower-pot shaped mugs really were designed for individual servings of "dirt cake" - which
    makes me think I need to find a Paleo-friendly dirt cake recipe... just because.

B-12 - I'm already putting liquid B-12 into my bottles of water that I drink on a daily basis.

I wonder if there is some way to make my OWN form of an energy drink? with filterd water, B-12, maybe lemon or lime, &
    something that fizzes but isn't sugary?

Good ideas... Thanks everyone!
    :) J
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Coconut water?
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine the peppermint/spearmint tea would taste very nice, but it likely hasn't any caffeine, so you may not get any jolt from that.

Peppermint, love it. Makes me want to grow it in my garden by the shed
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I second the response about needing the afternoon pick up less once you level out. I used to have the spike and crash, could pretty much set my clock by it at 2:00. That is gone now, but I do have black tea in the am and green tea in the afternoon, it's more of a routine than for the caffeine. I used to drink coffee and still like it but it hurts my teeth, hence the switch to black tea, just on the weekends now.

Many paleo folks are perfectly ok with tea and coffee, I don't know anyone personally that follows that strict, and they have their own benefits.