In need of help! (how much shall i eat?)

Options
Aleara2012
Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
Ok I am in dire need of help... I am not really sure how much I shall eat?

Here are my stats:

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 177 pounds
Neck: 14.1 inches
Waist: 33 inches
Hip: 42.3 inches
BF% 33,9

Goal healthy weight for 22%BF is 150lb

Goal Weight TDEE for Sedentary - 1764 calories

Current BMR is 1529 calories

I have chosen sedentary activity level because I have a desk job. I work 9 hours a day on average, although lately it has been more like 10, I am a mom of a toddler and I have no time or opportunity to work out much at the moment if at all. I walk with my daughter when I get the chance and the weather permits. I would say I get around 3-5 hours’ worth of walking a week. I am trying to do some bodyweight training at home 2 times a week but I don't always manage to do the whole routine if at all. I am still minimally breastfeeding. I have been eating between 1200 and 1800 calories a day. I cannot always eat the same amount of calories, it is just not practical and I don't feel like force-feeding myself. In the last 7 days I have averaged 1451 calories a day and I think I might not be eating enough. I do feel well, I am not hungry, I feel energetic, but I am not losing weight anymore.

Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I think you are underestimating what your activity level is and you are also nursing...you need to add the nursing cals on top of whatever your cut value is. Lilliebean is a good one to speak to that! So right off the bat 1451 is not enough.

I strongly suggest and I have been there with nursing, cutting cals, not budging...from severly undereating (though you don't think so, your body is telling you so).

Recalc your TDEE cut val using MODERATE and then if you are nursing a few times a day, figure out how many calories are burned for what you are outputting and add that to your cut value.

Eat that amount consistently...don't take breaks...eat small meals all throughout the day to get it in. Try to do the weight lifting more so than less weekly if you can.

I pray this helps!
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Thanks, I know you are right! I have set my goal to 1600 calories a day to be above BMR, but I still don't manage to get up to that amount of calories. Looking around for info and looking at the database I might be burning up to 200 calories for breastfeeding. I guess I should be eating around 1800 calories to account for that.

I think I really just need some reassurance that it is Ok to eat that much and that I will continue losing weight. It is scaring upping my calories especially since I have no idea how much I was eating before to gain all that weight. I gained my weight in exactly 9 months; I was expecting to lose it much quicker though :-/
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I know you are right! I have set my goal to 1600 calories a day to be above BMR, but I still don't manage to get up to that amount of calories. Looking around for info and looking at the database I might be burning up to 200 calories for breastfeeding. I guess I should be eating around 1800 calories to account for that.

I think I really just need some reassurance that it is Ok to eat that much and that I will continue losing weight. It is scaring upping my calories especially since I have no idea how much I was eating before to gain all that weight. I gained my weight in exactly 9 months; I was expecting to lose it much quicker though :-/

According to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and using your stats and the moderate activity level that Lucia recommended, your info is as follows (this does NOT include the breast feeding calories yet!)

BMR: 1583
    TDEE: 2454
    TDEE - 15%: 2086

now if you add another 200 on that for breast feeding you should be eating 2286!! 1800 isn't gonna cut it girl! :)

Even if you dropped it to lightly active (which I don't recommend because I trust Lucia's judgement on this 100%) you'd still have to eat 2050 including breast feeding calories. So, bump up those calories chickie....you need them!!! :happy: (and you know how hard psychologically it is for me to eat mine, so NO EXCUSES!!!) :laugh:

on a serious note though, work through the gain and stick to it. It's worth it in the end. I don't know if you'll be a lucky one and lose weight right away or if you'll gain at first like me, but either way, don't stop short of the finish line....push to the end and let us help you with the support you need when you just feel like giving up.
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Message received! Upping my calories!
  • jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I remember the days!! I am exactly your height and I had my son in July. I live in Phoenix so boy was it hot. The first month I stayed indoors and after I got the all clear from my doctor I put that little guy in the stroller and off we went!!! Sometimes I walked our 2 mile loop twice or three times a day. Yes I breastfed and though I was not counting calories at the time I did eat, a lot!!! I lost tons of weight just by walking so I know it can be done. Now my son is almost 5 and my life has calmed down quite a bit. I work full-time and still have time to go to the gym etc. You have to put yourself first, it is not being selfish, it is taking care of yourself!! You need the extra calories to fuel all your body's needs!! Do you belong to a gym?? I found one that has an excellent day care, my son actually loves to go to the gym, go figure!! Good luck, you can do it!!
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    I remember the days!! I am exactly your height and I had my son in July. I live in Phoenix so boy was it hot. The first month I stayed indoors and after I got the all clear from my doctor I put that little guy in the stroller and off we went!!! Sometimes I walked our 2 mile loop twice or three times a day. Yes I breastfed and though I was not counting calories at the time I did eat, a lot!!! I lost tons of weight just by walking so I know it can be done. Now my son is almost 5 and my life has calmed down quite a bit. I work full-time and still have time to go to the gym etc. You have to put yourself first, it is not being selfish, it is taking care of yourself!! You need the extra calories to fuel all your body's needs!! Do you belong to a gym?? I found one that has an excellent day care, my son actually loves to go to the gym, go figure!! Good luck, you can do it!!

Thanks for the kind words! I don't belong to a gym yet. I cannot go into details but my personal situation is very complicated. There is a gym I want to join but I have to wait till July. Hopefully then I could go and work-out in my lunch-breaks!
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Increased my calories and started P90X today! I hope that get's the scales moving again!