Are heavy weights necessary?

Options
StephieWillcox
StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
Hi all, am (slowly) getting the hang of eating more, and my macroneutrients are going well, so the last thing I need to conquer is weights!!

My favourite type of exercise are Jillian Michaels DVD's, and to me, they feel like strength workouts. I know I'm not squatting hundreds of pounds, but boy do my muscles ache afterwards (especially my poor weak triceps).

I'm wondering if this is enough to give me the muscle definition I would like (I'm not aiming for anything serious, just some actual muscle would be nice!)? I'm always good at upping my weights when I can't feel it working but don't want to continue on this path if it's not going to be effective?

Any input welcome :)

Thanks

Replies

• turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Not an expert here by any means, but I think jillians dvd's would build SOME strength, but mostly build endurance on your muscles. I do them too, but get a different result from lifting heavy. Try some heavier weights and see how you like them.
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i like JM dvds and have started to "adapt" them for heavier lifting. I'm not talkin' 200lbs. deadlifts or anything, but i challenge myself to add more weight to the moves that require them. its nothing radical but i feel like im working harder
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed JM DVDs when I first got back to being able to work out. It wasn't long before I felt like I needed something more. Heavy lifting has given me a better sense of accomplishment...something that is important to me in my exercise program.

I don't think anyone HAS to lift heavy, but I'm a big proponent of it because of the results I've seen in only 6 weeks. Plus I'm loving that I'm starting to outlift the guys at the gym and that it is completely unexpected when just looking at me. :)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights are not necessary but they do give you awesome results!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Ok cool, thanks for your input guys.

I only have access to a VERY small gym (it's a room in my apartment block) and it has no squat rack, so I know that I would have to do my main strength moves using the multigym equipment or dumbells, mainly in isolation exercises which I know aren't the most effective.

I guess I might have to invest in a gym membership if I want to really lift heavy!