Going from Moderately Active to Very Active

Options
So I'm training for a half marathon. I've noticed I've started feeling a bit hungrier, but I'm still okay staying within my calories. But I'm at the beginning of my training. I'm working out six days a week, but still figure I'm moderately active. Most of my daily burns are under 500 calories - strength training day is obviously quite a bit less. As my runs increase in distance and the burns get higher, should I switch to very active at some point to make sure I'm getting the right amount of calories? Any good rule of thumb that you use on this?

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I think, from other posts I've seen, that the recommendation to switch your active status occurs only if your routine is changing up for longer than a couple of weeks. If it's just for a week or two, then don't.

But...I'm not the expert on here...you might want to wait and see what the consensus is! :smile:
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If its only a short term change, keep your goals the same and possibly eat back some extra burn calories if you are getting at or under your BMR.

just my .02
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Both of you make perfect sense. I've even heard that once mileage gets to a certain point it's hard to train well on a defecit. So if I have to throw in extra calories and eat closer to maintenance for a few weeks or so prior to my half I'm fine with that. My body will still be changing composition with all of the training and I can resume losing after my half! Thanks for answering my question! :D
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Both of you make perfect sense. I've even heard that once mileage gets to a certain point it's hard to train well on a defecit. So if I have to throw in extra calories and eat closer to maintenance for a few weeks or so prior to my half I'm fine with that. My body will still be changing composition with all of the training and I can resume losing after my half! Thanks for answering my question! :D

This is very true. Training that hard requires TONS of fuel for the body to perform at peak efficiency. I remember watching Floyd Maywether training video, and he was eating over 10k calories a day while training for fights, but he was hardcore training 4 times a day...it just puts things in perspective that your body neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds fuel.

P.S

Did I mention your body needs fuel?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Also as a runner, I believe your carb ratio would be higher as well. You should look into what ratios are best for the training you are doing.