BMR

Hi,

I'm new to this and just wondering if the caloric intake recommended is right. I'm 4'11" and MFP is recommending that I have 1200 calories a day. This seems quite high since I'm very petite. Anyone on here know if it's accurate or I'm just overreacting? Thanks!

Replies

• staceynewbon
    staceynewbon Posts: 15 Member
    Hi I'm 4ft8 and was given the same estimate . I egnored it at first and went for 900kcals and I couldn't lose weight as soon as I upped it to 1200kvals Ive been losing weight steadily at about 1-2lb a week . Hope that helps :-)
  • greenapples_cb
    greenapples_cb Posts: 2 Member
    Okay, thank you! That really helps. It seemed like a lot of food when I was logging it each time, but I was probably eating way more than 1200, like 1500 so this will work. Thanks again for the advice!
  • exie95
    exie95 Posts: 12
    I got the same number, and I'm thinking that maybe it's the least amount they can give you, because anything else would be too unhealthy.
  • AmayaJo1
    AmayaJo1 Posts: 34
    Hello! =)

I'm 5''0 and when I first started MFP, I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week.....and so MFP gave me 1200 cals a day.
    Now, after hitting a plateau, I've read up more about BMR and TDEE.....and I figured these numbers by going here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

and according to this website, my BMR is 1556, my TDEE is 2140, and from what I read you should eat above your BMR but below TDEE to LOSE weight.

I currently take in 1790 cals-1800 cals a day and workout 1-3 hours a week...I'm losing weight steadily, going down in body fat % and losing inches.=D
  • lafoto13
    lafoto13 Posts: 23 Member
    Amayajo, that's awesome! Thanks for posting that-- I've been very low cals for months and the scale has barely budged! Just started thinking recently that its probably too low ...and I need to be closer to 1200-1300 (I'm 4'11"). So it's encouraging to hear it helped you as well. Thanks!!
  • AmayaJo1
    AmayaJo1 Posts: 34
    =D No prob.