Help to set cal goals!

Options
Argent78
Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
Guys I need help! I've been recommended to eat 1500 cals, without eating anything back... what do you think!? (read the quotes)
Soooo I've been doing weight lifting with a pers traier for 3 months, and added good cardios 2 months ago:
- 3 times a week: 40 min weights + 30 min elliptical
-1 time a week spinning

eat 1700/1800 cals a day, high prot diet. 6 meals a day
No processed foods, heathy

Height" 5'5
Weight: 139
Waist: 29
Hip: 36

And I haven't see ANY changes in weight loss or lost inches... My muscles look really good, but the fat in my floaters I stuck there!!

What am i doing wrong!!!??? I'm desperate :'(

What are you doing wrong?....You're not burning more than you're ingesting. Either decrease the calories a bit, or up the activity a bit. Reevaluate again in another week, and if necessary readjust calories and or activity again till you DO start losing.

According to Fat2Fit calc I should be eating 2000 cals!!! According to MFP too!!
My BMR is 1400... so... how many less cals!???

But once again: YOU'RE NOT LOSING. It's science, but it's not rocket science. You're using a generic calculator to determine YOUR body's UNIQUE needs. They'll give you a general idea, but c'mon!....They're never going to be exact using so few variables. If I went by most calculators, me personally I'd be anorexic in a month....and many of my clients would have gained ten pounds! Too many other factors to consider! Fast metabolism, slow metabolism, body composition, stress levels, starting caloric intake, training program, etc.

OK! I'll try with 1500 I guess.... BUT eating back exercise cals or not!??

1,500 STAT keeping to your same exercise regimen.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I am new to the Eat more group, but if you have a HRM or something that tells how many calories your burning during your workouts you might be under eating and in a plateau... I am sure your going to hear you should be eating up to or above your BMR so if your eating 1700 cals a day, but working out for 70 minutes a day and burning 700 calories well your under by a bit (1700-700=1000 so need to eat 400)..
    Also you might want to switch up your weight lifting to introduce new workouts to different areas if your workouts are repetitive and haven't changed... that will stimulate new muscles so that your body doesn't get used to the same routine, same with repeat cardio machines (instead of elliptical do the stair master etc)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Well, based on what we believe, which may go against mainstream....here is what I came up with from the Scooby calculator:
    BMR 1389
    TDEE 2154
    CUT VALUE FOR YOU TO EAT DAILY 1830
    You would eat your cut value regardless of whether you workout or not...on workout days you don't need to eat anything back UNLESS you burn over 441 calories, you would then eat the excess OVER 441 so that you at least NET your BMR.

All the topics in stickys tell you what we believe and why. Yes you need to expend more calories than consumed, but if you expend too much or consume too little, your body will not let go of the weight...

So, if you burn on avg 400 calories per workout and eat 1500 calories, you are really only giving your body 1100calories daily which is 289 LESS than what you need to stay in the bed for a 24hr period doing nothing. Your body then has to conserve energy the five days a week that you workout because you are consistently almost 300 cals shy of even BMR a day...conserving energy means holding fat...

So, if it were me, I would eat the 1830 a day everyday and anything over 441 burned, I would eat the excess. Make sure to adhere close as possible to macros 40/30/30 and do it for at least 4 straight weeks. GET RID OF THE SCALE, take pics, and measure...
  • Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Well, based on what we believe, which may go against mainstream....here is what I came up with from the Scooby calculator:
    BMR 1389
    TDEE 2154
    CUT VALUE FOR YOU TO EAT DAILY 1830
    You would eat your cut value regardless of whether you workout or not...on workout days you don't need to eat anything back UNLESS you burn over 441 calories, you would then eat the excess OVER 441 so that you at least NET your BMR.

All the topics in stickys tell you what we believe and why. Yes you need to expend more calories than consumed, but if you expend too much or consume too little, your body will not let go of the weight...

So, if you burn on avg 400 calories per workout and eat 1500 calories, you are really only giving your body 1100calories daily which is 289 LESS than what you need to stay in the bed for a 24hr period doing nothing. Your body then has to conserve energy the five days a week that you workout because you are consistently almost 300 cals shy of even BMR a day...conserving energy means holding fat...

So, if it were me, I would eat the 1830 a day everyday and anything over 441 burned, I would eat the excess. Make sure to adhere close as possible to macros 40/30/30 and do it for at least 4 straight weeks. GET RID OF THE SCALE, take pics, and measure...

Thanks! I also agree with this... BUT then... why am I not loosing?? I never eat more than 1800 anyway... and haven't lost a pound or an inch, and I'm working out 4 times a week. I change routine every time because I'm with a pers. trainer
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If you have done so for 4 wks, I would try going up 100 cals for a month to see what happens.

See we know that lower numbers haven't worked. When I stalled out at 1800 cals, I went up to 1900 and started losing again...