Day 1 Of Upping my Calories - Help?

Options
Today was my first day with upping my calories. I'm scared, but I'm taking the step forward.

I know it won't be perfect today as today is only day one, but I could use some pointers on whether I'm eating clean enough.

Let me know! My diary is public.

Thank you everyone <3

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day with upping my calories. I'm scared, but I'm taking the step forward.

I know it won't be perfect today as today is only day one, but I could use some pointers on whether I'm eating clean enough.

Let me know! My diary is public.

Thank you everyone <3

It depends if your goal is to eat clean or not. You don't have to necessarilly eat clean to eat more, of course it helps and is healthier for you...tons of other benefits as well.

That being said, if you are looking to eat clean then there are a few changes I would make. The waffle and tortilla chips stood out to me as not very clean.

A lot of your days look pretty good though. I think just making good clean choices most of the time is good enough IMO. Having a few foods that are considered unclean or whatever isn't a big deal. But that is just me. I strive to eat good healthy foods 80% of the time.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Expect the worst for 10 days in terms of bloat and "ickyness"
    But you're going to feel mentally alert and feel like you could take on the world. Energy rocks!

Today was my first day of no bloat, it took about 11 days to get to this point. WORTH IT.
  • curiousheathy
    curiousheathy Posts: 108
    Options
    Thank you guys for the tips.

In terms of eating clean, I try my hardest to do so. It's hard with a fiance who loves to indulge all the time. It makes it so hard for me. :(

And thanks for the heads up about the icky feelings. For me, aside from the bloat, I'm going to feel the guilt. I already feel incredibly guilty!! It really weighs down on me. I have such low confidence. My thoughts are so negative. How do you push through???
  • googsgirl
    googsgirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What are you feeling guilty about?
    Try and remind yourself that eating plenty of good food is what your body needs to function optimally, improve mood and provide you with the energy needed to exercise and enjoy life.

If anything, since eating more, I have never felt so free from food issues because I am always satisfied, never deny myself anything I want to eat, and move my body on the days I feel like sweating- not because I have to.

Perhaps feeding yourself and moving away from deprivation cycles will also free you of guilty feelings associated with food.

Take care. This is such a smart way to live and love your body.
  • curiousheathy
    Options
    I'm hoping so too.

I feel guilty just because of the issues I had about two years ago when I lived with someone who was unhealthy. She and her boyfriend would harass me and call me fat and talked about how I was a pig. It was a total nightmare. Every day. I became so self conscious. I knew I didn't want to starve myself, but I still restricted myself. I would always feel guilty after I ate 'too much" because I was afraid I'd hear all those comments again.

Lame I know, especially for someone my age; but it took a toll on me.

I have decided to hide my scale because I KNOW that will hurt me the first few months. I am relying on how I feel physically and measurements.

Thank you so much for your advice :)
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    What was your caloric intake before and what dd you change it to? Did you make a gradual change in your increase in calories or just go from one to the other, overnight? I'm asking because I just, this week, changed my calories from the bare minimum of 1200 to my BMR requirement of 1400. Not a big change and, oddly,I had a hard time eating that extra 200 calories, although I feel like making up for them tonight, lol.

I have read the articles on eating more to weigh less and did all of my calculations but just haven't pulled the trigger on upping my calories right now because I had just changed my workout routine, to include much heavier strength training, and I wanted to see if it was having any impact on my body composition before I go making any other changes and then wondering what worked or didn't work if there are any changes...

I think, in about 4 weeks, I am going to attempt the caloric increase....

Keep me posted on your progress. It seems to work for so many people.... And don't worry...you've proven you can loose weight so if it doesn't work for you, you can always tweak things later... The weight will come off!
  • curiousheathy
    Options
    I read research into upping my calories about a week and a half ago. I started also at 1200 as my minimum and moved it to about 1400 last week. It was hard at that point MOSTLY because I was so busy student teaching and finishing up graduate school.

However this week I moved it to 1800 where it will stay. I have no trouble eating now because I have time. Graduate school is done and I am just going on the occasional job interview here and there. Most of the preliminary ones are phone interviews. SO - with that being said - I sit around the house and do chores and get bored. (Most of my friends are undergrads and have exams/ live in another state)

For me I knew I could eat more especially when I started working out more. I use to play three sports through high school and took in about 2800 calories a day. I can eat like a beast. I just get nervous and worried I'll just gain weight despite the calculations/ working out.

I want to start lifting heavier. I am hoping to start hitting the gym when I return from my two week vacation in June. I would start now, but I'm currently finishing a program that will end the day before I leave. I don't want to add in too many components. However, I am very interested in upping my weight lifting! I plan on getting into NROLW 2-3x a week. :)

Thank you so much! <3 I hope things go well for you too!
  • googsgirl
    googsgirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping so too.

I feel guilty just because of the issues I had about two years ago when I lived with someone who was unhealthy. She and her boyfriend would harass me and call me fat and talked about how I was a pig. It was a total nightmare. Every day. I became so self conscious. I knew I didn't want to starve myself, but I still restricted myself. I would always feel guilty after I ate 'too much" because I was afraid I'd hear all those comments again.

Lame I know, especially for someone my age; but it took a toll on me.

I have decided to hide my scale because I KNOW that will hurt me the first few months. I am relying on how I feel physically and measurements.

Thank you so much for your advice :)

I am very sorry that happened to you. That sounds horrible, and no wonder you carry that memory with you. The mental aspect of raising one's calories after a lifetime of opposite messages is a difficult hurdle on this path. TRUST the process, but give it time.
    Be gentle on yourself. You deserve it.
    Best of luck to you on a journey towards health and happiness.
  • curiousheathy
    Options
    Thank you. It really was. It never helped that she was demonstrating a very poor health style.

I am feeling better today though. More energy. Last night I was really able to rip through my laps. Having my scale out of sight is a huge relief. I feel less pressured.

I'm feeling more confident. Of course, it helps that this group is so supportive. :)