How much above BMR?

Options
I was wondering if there is any school of thought on how much above BMR is considered healthy?

I ask because my BMR is estimated at 1555 and my net calories on most days after exercise ends up about 1600. I know if I burn much more than this I should eat back some calories, but was just wondering if I should up calories based on this information.

I probably just answered my own question, but was just curious what people thought. Also I started 6 weeks ago with TDEE-20% so I could probably just solve this by doing 15% cut. If I did 15% after exercise I would end up with net closer to 1750.

SW 194 in Jan
Plateau wt 181
After starting EM2WL 184
CW 183

Thanks!

Replies

• twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just asked this question kind of too.

On my workout days i always net over my BMR but didn't want to go over too much so i asked and the answer i got was that between my bmr and my TDEE cut value (-15%) was a good to net between on work out days. But if i eat my cut value everyday then i would net over my bmr anyway unless i had a really high burn. So regardless of what day i eat my cut value and keep eye on it if i have extra high burn day

that help?
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    Yes, I saw your post also. I didn't want to post there and confuse the issue, as it seemed to be confusing enough. :bigsmile: It does make sense that your net calories would end up between BMR and TDEE cut amt.

I was just wondering if consistently netting just above BMR would mean I might want to think about either decreasing my cut or increasing my activity factor.

peace
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    i feel that everyone is individual and so what works with weight loss for one person would not exactly work for another so i reckon that if you are losing just keep doing what you doing ... if not then try upping it by 100 cals a week and see what happens. You didn't put this weight on in one week so why not try a little tweek here and there to find your own bodies balance.

I guess tho that your bmr is what your body needs to lie in bed and do nothing so once you get up get your morning coffee you start burning more so i reckon try to get to your cut value as you will be burning that much plus more with exercise. remember that your cut value is still less that what you need to maintain your weight so you will still lose. But if you still netting above your bmr on exercise days then you sounds like you are right on. On your non workout days though still try to hit your cut value

Is that about right or am i missing the picture hehehe ... sorry!
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    Makes total sense. I just haven't had any big burns since I stopped eating back my exercise calories and have been working out more consistently so I was just wondering if I should be eating more since I am coming close to, but not under, my BMR.

Thanks for the input!