Macro settings for low carb?

Options
cobylea
cobylea Posts: 194 Member
I currently have my macros set at 5% carb, 45% protein & 50% fat. The carbs are only showing 17g but if I keep track of my net carbs with my fiber intake and just use my diary settings a guide. Should I be ok with keeping my macros at these settings or should I be changing them?

Replies

• kerrykettlebum
    Options
    I am new so what I say may not be too acurate but I was advise my a fellow atkins friend who has been doing it a long time to set my settings to 5% carbs, 30% protein and 65% fat.
    Apparantly these are the settings indicative of 'induction'
    I also find I have to keep a running total of net carbs myself as MFP doesn't always get it accurate, for instance they count carbs in eggs and obviously this alters the total for the day.
    I just keep a running total at the bottom of my diary in the notes section of my actual net carbs.
    Hope this helps a little x: :smile:
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My carbs are set to 15% (or 60g). I am allowed 50g per day. My fat is set to 45% and Protein to 40%. I have to watch my fiber so that it nets me the 50 carbs. I can eat 100g carbs as long as there is 50g fiber involved. I rarely do that though. I try to stay well under my 50. I am not on Atkins, just a low carb diet plan. I found a site which made a lot of sense to me and helped me set my macros. I believe it was under the Nutrition Calculator. I found the site very useful.

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/index.php

Also - I have PCOS with IR - this diet plan was prescribed to me by my endocrinologist. I had to play with the fat/protein levels to get it right. I found I was eating too much protein and not enough fat. I have switched that around and managed to break through my 6 week plateau.
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Calories 1179
    Carbs 10% (30g)
    Protein 60% (180g)
    Fat 30% (40g)

I have PCOS also, so it makes it more difficult. But I have found that is is the best approach for me.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have 15% carbs (all from berries, macademia, or green veggie sources)
    25% proteins (eggs, fish, meat)
    60% fats (coconut oil, coconut meat, coconut milk, avocado, raw dairy butter and cream, animal fats)

no problem.
  • wongleweed
    wongleweed Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 55/35/10 P/F/C
  • jparker12379
    jparker12379 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have set my macros to 10% carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat
  • vegansassy
    vegansassy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    your fat should be 65%-70%, I personally do my best at 70%. But it is crazy getting all that fat in sometimes if you don't calculate after every meal. Sometimes I find myself melting coconut oil in warm water at the end of my day when I have 30g of fat left over...I am getting better at balancing my fat through the day though.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for 30g total carbs a day and pretty much hitting that.

I guess that works out around 10% to 15% of intake which seems to be working for me.

I'll drop 1 or 2 more kg to get pretty close to my ideal weight and then gradually introduce stuff like potatos and legumes and play with determining my carb tolerance.

The grains and highly processed stuff have gone for good though ;)
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    bump - trying to figure out something that works and I can stick to!