Super Fatty Here....HELP!

Options
AquaFitQueen
AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
ok. So I am so lost. I've read some of the stickys....some of it makes sense, other bits of it might as well be in Chinese!

MFP had my cals set at nearly 3000 cals to lose 2lbs a week. I manually reduced this to 2000. My BMR according to MFP is 3680 set to sedentary. I also exercise 4+ times a week two and a half hours at a time earning me over 8000 calories a week. (8000 is a conservative number based on 4 times a week only)

Yesterday I ate 3065 calories which meant I ate a net of less than 1000 calories.

I feel like a total cow admitting I ate over 3000 calories, but I did burn over 2000 on exercise.

This is so confusing as I have read that super fatties can get away with eating less than our thinner counter parts.

Just looking for opinions really. :) Thanks!

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000 calories and i am under 200 pounds....you would definitely need to eat more....check out the stickies above and follow those calculations :)
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're working out 4 days a week you are most definitely not sedentary. I would change it to moderately active.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I also think you should be eating more than 2000 calories.

And I think that calling yourself a "super fatty" is offensive.
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Not offensive to me, lol, I much prefer super fatty than super morbidly obese!!!!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    OK, so no matter WHAT, you MUST NET your BMR every day.

I read your profile and do not know how your WLS affects how much you can eat~ are you ABLE to eat your BMR every day? Your diary is locked but mine is open and so are many others here~ take a look at what some of us are eating and compare it to yours~ see if you need to make some Macro changes.

GREAT job on the exercising!

I think your goal right now is to keep up the exercising and NET YOUR BMR each day.

And seeing you refer to yourself in such negative terms makes me sad:cry:
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Hi there, I only had a sleeve and I am nearing 2 years out and have no problem what so ever eating, lol, Will take a look at peoples diaries.

mine is locked cos I have an ED, which has been stable for months and months but all it would take is for someone to make a comment about what I was eating to spiral me out of control. Hope you understand.
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    oh and I dont see it as negative, lol, I imagine a super fatty as a large person in a superman cape :wink:
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It is typically stated that the larger you are the larger deficit that you can have, but the 1000+ cal deficits should typically only be done under Dr supervision. Remember, you are setting yourself up for the rest of your life, and after eating ANY amount for an extended period of time your body adapts and it doesn't work anymore. So it's best to start at a smaller deficit and give yourself more wiggle room. As you get smaller, your TDEE decreases anyway, so no need to really decrease it so far in advance unless recommend by a doctor and supervised by him/her for health reasons.

Using the TDEE calculator, it allows you to work more with percentages, rather than just picking a random 500 or 1000 cal deficit.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I'd stick with the # that it gives you, and just remember to recalculate every 5 or so lbs lost. Also, remember that losing weight more slowly gives your skin more time to adjust as well, whereas large deficits w/large losses, produces a lot of extra skin that may never bounce back properly (think of how most women on the biggest loser look). Losing slowly, and lifting weights (along w/lots of water and healthy fats) will help to combat this and keep everything nice and tight while you are losing.

~Kiki
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Thanks! That was the most helpful post! Its the TDEE I dont understand. Ive never heard of it before joining this group. BMR Ive known about for ages, but yeah I will go to the link you posted and try to work it out. Thank you so much for taking the time for me!!!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    No problem, babe :flowerforyou:

Eat up, your body will reward you for proper fuel :wink:

Kiki
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    oh and I dont see it as negative, lol, I imagine a super fatty as a large person in a superman cape :wink:

ahhh that analogy sounds a lot better than the way I was interpreting it.

Anyway, keep up the hard work!
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    And you! 20lbs is awesome! :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hello :D

I'm Super Tubby and I hear you on how tempting it is to spiral out of control the other way by hyper restricting.

A lot of people say we larger folks can get by on less because we have 'so much fat to fuel our bodies'. This is true in a sense- but we have to put in enough food to keep the fires going so our body can actually do the chemical process to convert energy from fat. If we go too low- our body just stops eating the fat and finds easier things to digest- like muscle and hair/nails. This is where eating above your BMR comes in.

It's really easy to feel like I have to punish myself or 'make up' for being fat. It's not true and that was the hardest thing for me to learn. I don't have to make up anything, be 'good' or 'bad', I don't have to punish myself- I did it, I know it and now I am free.

I eat 2300 a day and more if I need it. I work really hard on eating food to make up my numbers- and I'll be honest- right now it's ANY food. I will starve myself and binge all day long if I can't be 'perfect' and eat everything organic, 'clean' and picked by virgin nuns in the catskill mountains. Black/white all or nothing - that's where I battle my ED the most. So I allow myself to eat anything I want- don't care if it's 'bad' for me because I know for me, the pressure of being perfect is more dangerous than the extra 100 cals from some food. Maybe folks who are 130lbs have to worry more- but I've got room to go down slowly so there's a gradient there for me to get used to just adding healthier foods over time. This helps me stop the Pass or Fail idea that rules me so easily.

Sorry for the ramble- hope that helped
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options

I'm Super Tubby ...

if I can't be 'perfect' and eat everything organic, 'clean' and picked by virgin nuns in the catskill mountains. Black/white all or nothing - that's where I battle my ED the most. ....

OMG. You are funny as heck haha. Can we be friend? :)
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Sure! I have my diary locked too lol we can vaguely support each other :D
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options

I'm Super Tubby and I hear you on how tempting it is to spiral out of control the other way by hyper restricting.

A lot of people say we larger folks can get by on less because we have 'so much fat to fuel our bodies'. This is true in a sense- but we have to put in enough food to keep the fires going so our body can actually do the chemical process to convert energy from fat. If we go too low- our body just stops eating the fat and finds easier things to digest- like muscle and hair/nails. This is where eating above your BMR comes in.

It's really easy to feel like I have to punish myself or 'make up' for being fat. It's not true and that was the hardest thing for me to learn. I don't have to make up anything, be 'good' or 'bad', I don't have to punish myself- I did it, I know it and now I am free.

I eat 2300 a day and more if I need it. I work really hard on eating food to make up my numbers- and I'll be honest- right now it's ANY food. I will starve myself and binge all day long if I can't be 'perfect' and eat everything organic, 'clean' and picked by virgin nuns in the catskill mountains. Black/white all or nothing - that's where I battle my ED the most. So I allow myself to eat anything I want- don't care if it's 'bad' for me because I know for me, the pressure of being perfect is more dangerous than the extra 100 cals from some food. Maybe folks who are 130lbs have to worry more- but I've got room to go down slowly so there's a gradient there for me to get used to just adding healthier foods over time. This helps me stop the Pass or Fail idea that rules me so easily.

I think you have the right attitude and I wish more people would view weight loss that way. I think a lot of people jump from eating 3000-5000 calories a day and go down to 1200 in an effort to lose weight, but it is such a dramatic drop and not sustainable in the long run. I would think it would be a huge shock to the body to drop 1000 or more calories off right away.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    oy what a morning
  • gemiwing
    Options

I think you have the right attitude and I wish more people would view weight loss that way. I think a lot of people jump from eating 3000-5000 calories a day and go down to 1200 in an effort to lose weight, but it is such a dramatic drop and not sustainable in the long run. I would think it would be a huge shock to the body to drop 1000 or more calories off right away.

Thanks. It started out when I got fat I ate less. Weight was coming off slowly. Then I had a doctor tell me to eat 1200 a day max. I did and got sick as hell. The attitude comes from going through the trenches and out the other side.
    [/quote]
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    After reading all the info here it surprises me that doctors recommend eating 1200 calories a day. All of my fit friends eat a ton of food (granted, it's good healthy food most of the time but they do splurge as well).

I wonder how many doctors have tried to live on 1200 calories for longer than a day. it's challenging and my body was screaming at me the whole time. That just doesn't seem healthy if my body is telling me it's not enough (through hair loss, lack of energy, constipation, moodiness, sleeplessness etc.).
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I love this thread. So much education going on. :)