Newbie with a quick question

Options
Hi Guys

I'm new to the site and just beginning to find my feet, a little bit about my journey.....

I started Weightwatchers in 2008 when I weighed 215lbs (I'm 5"8) and over 2 years or so lost 60lbs pretty much through dieting alone. The they switched to Propoints and I fell out of love with the system, couldn't get my head around the extra points etc so I switched to Nutracheck (I am based in the UK not sure if you have that in the States) which is pretty similar to MFP.

All good, I kept the weight off and started exercising, I began with Zumba, which I still love and then joined a gym. Now I have a personal trainer once a week and go to the gym to do Kettlebells/VIPR work at least 2 more times alongside walking and Zumba on my days off weights. My weight has gone up by 5lb but my measurements are pretty stable.

So a few weeks ago I got a Fitbit and found MFP and started using the calorie counter on it, I put that I wanted to lose a pound a week and it gave me around 1300 calories a day, in my head I wanted to lose 7lb. Not disimilar to what I was on with Nutracheck and I had been managing on that for a year or so.

Whilst nosing about on the Community forum I found you lovely people - what a revelation! I have been reading up and ordered the book which should be at home tonight. I've adjusted by calorie intake upto 1800 and feel 100% better. My PT commented how much stronger I was this week :happy: I haven't weighed myself for 10 days which is tough for me but I decided to give myself a full month before doing that. I'm going to do my measurements tonight and take pictures. Then I am going to read the book and get ready to lift heavy! My PT is on board to help with form.

So on to my question - I am trying to figure out my salt intake and wonder how to count in salt used in cooking water, at the moment my salt level is low but I suspect that's because I am not counting what I use in cooking. I don't add salt at the table.

Many thanks for your help

Alison

Replies

• grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it is possible to do an accurate estimate of sodium abortion from cooking water. It would vary greatly depending on what food is being cooked. Another solution is to cook with a salt alternative when cooking in water. You could use a potassium based salt. Since the daily potassium intake is higher than sodium, it would be less of a concernabout going over.
  • asidebottom
    asidebottom Posts: 67
    Options
    OK thanks, I presume Potassium won't cause the same water retention issues as Sodium or is that wishful thinking!