Do TDEE/BMR calcs scale correctly with height?

Options
wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
The reason I ask is -
(I'm 6'7)
It puts my BMR around 2400.
For a long while, I ate 2800-3300 calories a day. Which, combined with exercise, was usually a net of about 2500-2700 calories..
Doing this, I steadily went from 233 - 243 lbs, at a little better than 1lb/week.

That would imply to me, at least, that I would maintain weight around 2000-2200 calories a day. Placing my BMR probably somewhere around 1700. This seems pretty low too.

Thoughts?

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Were you gaining size at the time too? What was your workout routine? How long ago was it? Were you eating sufficient protein?

There are so many variables.

It does scale with height but also scales with body type, activity level, phase of Jupiter in the second moon lol Kidding on that last one..or am I ? Everything is an estimation- some folks will have naturally higher needs and some lower. So maybe you end up this time needing higher cals and maybe you need lower. Someone with 18%bf at 225lb 5'5 will have need of more calories than someone 45%bf at 225lbs 5'8... there are so many variables.
  • wellbert
    Options
    I generally stay the same size, measurement wise. I've been the same since december. Only my weight goes up and down.
    150-200g protein daily.

weight lift 3x a week. Boxing or cycling 2-3x a week. Hourish.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you're not gaining size- have you had your bodyfat tested? Might be a better gauge for you since you didnt gain size- just weight. And it was a slow gain so perhaps you put on a bit of muscle.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Only by my own calipers. It's stayed +/- 1%