Setting up s lifting routine

Options
giag09
giag09 Posts: 203 Member
I wanna start lifting more so I wanted to see what muscle groups to workout together and how often

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Generally each muscle group gets one, maybe two exercises. Some programs train muscles many ways others use compound movements to target multiple groups at once.

I would recommend to follow a program designed by someone else while you learn the basics of weightlifting. Going it alone from the start could lead to injury and developing an imbalance in muscle development. Ever see those guys who walk like bulldogs? Bad training.

Take a look around bodybuilding.com, they have tons of exercise programs there. Ignore the supplement ads and their hyper-specific dieting plans (those are for more pro-level than where most of us casual lifters are).

I know Kiki had another resource but I can't remember what it was.

The most popular in the group are
    Cathe Frederick
    New Rules of Lifting For Women
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Beachbody workouts (p90x etc)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I would also follow what gemiwing said about learning the basics of weight lifting.. way too often do you see people at the gym doing bicep curls that are rocking all over the place or bent down just to lift heavier.. thats all bad form.

As for muscle grouping I am a big fan of the push/pull groupings.. so chest/triceps (pushing away from your body) and back/biceps (pulling toward your body) then you still need to work out shoulders/legs/abs. I usually group shoulders and abs together and then do legs on another day as well.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    There are so many options out there! Check out Body Building.com, Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer is a free program that I think would be great for anyone. Also New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book that has a pretty solid stand alone program. Personally, I love Cathe Friedrich. Since I am a stay at home, homeschooling momma to 5 kiddos, it is better for me to work out at home. Since we have the space, we've spent time slowly investing in some good equipment. New videos are my reward for meeting mini-goals along the way!