-300 takes my below BMR?

Options
nickm21
nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
So I've reduced my calories in line with NROL4W will have to plan well to ensure I have enough calories, I haven't done the 300 deficit as it would take me below my BMR. Has anyone else found this?? Should I just go with the basic calories and will I loose any weight as I still have a long way to go?
Any thoughts or advice?

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Would you mind sharing your calculations? I can't imagine how you could get below your BMR with a 300 calorie deficit.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Please re-check the math.
  • nickm21
    Options
    Sorry I've rechecked (using fat2fit BMR calculator) and it takes me to BMR not below, but still this seems to contradict what the book says. Any more thoughts I'm 38, 5'2" and 183lb if this helps.
  • nickm21
    Options
    Thanks but this doesn't apply as the multipliers are for under 35yrs
  • jenniet04
    Options
    I don't have the book in front of me for the activity level factors, but if I use mine, which I'm over 35, but my BMI is lower, this is what I get.

BMI= 33.5
    BMR= 1392
    nonworkout days (1.4)= 1949
    workout day (1.6)= 2228

If you take 300 off that, then you are still over your BMR. If the factors are lower, then that may cause problems, but then you may just want to calculate a %, like 10 or 15% below your maintenance calories, which I believe he also suggests in the book.
  • nickm21
    Options
    Thanks @jenniet04 the multipliers for bmi over 25 are 1.2 for non-workout days and 1.4 on workout days which gives 1670 on non-workout days and 1947 on workout days. Does that seem right?
    I think I'll go with the initial calories and see how it goes.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Yes, that's probably right. So your nonworkout days would be under your BMR, but not your workout days. I would definitely recommend starting at maintenance with your calories for at least a month and see how things go. I know I was starving and would not have been able to eat under my maintenance, in fact I was often over that.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm over 35 with a BMI over 25 too, and get the same thing. At 189 lb. (86 KG), my BMI is 31.5, and my RMR is 1412. Maintenance calories would be 1977 (lifting day) and 1695 (non-lifting day), which puts me at 1395 cal. base on a non-lifting day for a 300 calorie deficit.

MFP gives me 1430 to lose 1 lb./week though, so I figure that's close enough (and just above my RMR), so I use that, plus I eat back cardio calories.