Smith machine for Squats?

Options
Oplesandbanonos
Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
I keep reading in the threads that the Smith machine is terrible and not to use it, but i find that it helps me a little to keep balance, and since i'm still new and not as strong as i would like to be, it just makes it easier to get the form right. Does anyone have any opinions on using the smith machine?

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I keep reading in the threads that the Smith machine is terrible and not to use it, but i find that it helps me a little to keep balance, and since i'm still new and not as strong as i would like to be, it just makes it easier to get the form right. Does anyone have any opinions on using the smith machine?

I think you answered your own question. From everything I've read, balancing the weight is intentionally part of the workout, to work the smaller muscles.

I've also read that using good form in the squat rack, the bar will not move perfectly straight up & down like it does in the Smith, so you might not be using good form in the Smith, even if it feels like you are.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've also read that using good form in the squat rack, the bar will not move perfectly straight up & down like it does in the Smith, so you might not be using good form in the Smith, even if it feels like you are.

^^ I agree.

I've done squats both in just the squat rack and with the smith machine and I feel like the smith machine works a totally different set of muscles... I feel like I dont get the same range of motion than when squatting off just the rack.

This might help explain the differences a little better:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/05/11/whats-better-free-weights-or-machines/
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I only have access to the Smith machine. My gym does not have a squat rack. Currently I'm using dumbells for my added weight for squats but once I progress beyond them, I'll use the Smith machine. I've seen both pro's and con's for using it. While not ideal, sometimes we have to make adjustments because of what we have access to.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I just started using the squat rack the other day. while i don't think there's anything wrong with the smith machine it is a totally different feel. i think the smith machine makes it feel more like you are doing a leg press instead of a squat since it limits your range of motion and you don't have to work on balancing your weight. i like the smith machine because i can get deeper and do heavier weights, but i'm transferring over to the rack because it works all the muscles that i'm missing out on by doing leg press.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    To each their own, but here's another really good article explaining why it's FAR better to do squats without the Smith.

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I only have access to the Smith machine. My gym does not have a squat rack... While not ideal, sometimes we have to make adjustments because of what we have access to.

^^^This. My gym doesn't have a squat rack and it's not an option to switch gyms right now. So, Smith Machine it is for me. It's better than sitting on the couch, right?
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Doesn't the book have a dumbbell variation for if you don't have access to a rack?
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I work out at the Fitness Center at my job. I am always there alone around midnight. We have a Smith and an oly bar, but no squat rack. At first I was propping the bar up on the dip stand and loading the bar from there. Once I hit 100+ pounds I started getting nervous about hurting myself so I switched to the smith. It targets completely different muscles and I do not feel as though I am working as hard. Fortunately, I have had no issues with my back or knees but I can see why so many people advise against using the smith for squats.