HELP! Muscle soreness & aches...

Options
TiffyChick
TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
Posted this also on the NROL4W board. Figured I would post it here, too...

Okay, first I apologize for my complete wimpiness. I did the first workout (Stage 1, Workout A-1) on Tuesday. Def. had some soreness on Wednesday. Now today I'm way more sore. Is that normal to be more sore on the second day? Also, am I okay to do workout B-1 today, or will it be counterproductive with such sore muscles? Thank you SO much for advice!

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am always more sore on the second day. Drink lots of water and maybe do some light cardio before you lift and then some additional cardio after you lift. Unless you really don't feel good, it's okay to workout if you are sore. It seems to help with my muscle soreness anyhow.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I too am usually really bad on my second day if doing new workouts or ones I haven't done in awhile. Stretching afterwards helps, also doing a protein drink or a recovery type drink after your workout can help reduce the soreness. Also if your sore in your legs or lower body cardio after the workout helps as well to stretch that out and get the blood flowing more to those areas.

As for working out when your sore you can do it you just need to power threw it.. its uncomfortable a bit but after awhile it goes away just gotta work more... you might not be lifting your max etc but you can still get past the workout instead of not doing anything.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Yup, usually you get sore on the second day more than the first.. Over time, the more you work, the less sore you become... :)
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I was exactly the same way...seriously sore on Day 2. I am on Week 3 now, and I don't feel sore at all any more, but I know that once I start changing it up again I will feel it. You're doing great!
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    Thanks so much to you all! I don't mind working through the pain at all. Just don't want to be lifting if I should be waiting. I appreciate the "green light" to lift. I would totally do the cardio after lifting, but the guidelines for NROL4W say that's a no-no, so I won't. Maybe I'll do an epsom salt bath tonight and yoga tomorrow just to stretch my muscles out. I definitely always do my protein shake after lifting. My muscles are just really wimpy right now so they're being really "whiney". Ah, well, it only lasts a short while before I'm feeling like wonder woman. It's worth the pain! : )
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Thanks so much to you all! I don't mind working through the pain at all. Just don't want to be lifting if I should be waiting. I appreciate the "green light" to lift. I would totally do the cardio after lifting, but the guidelines for NROL4W say that's a no-no, so I won't. Maybe I'll do an epsom salt bath tonight and yoga tomorrow just to stretch my muscles out. I definitely always do my protein shake after lifting. My muscles are just really wimpy right now so they're being really "whiney". Ah, well, it only lasts a short while before I'm feeling like wonder woman. It's worth the pain! : )

Great attitude!!. The great thing is as long as you warm up good after just a few minutes into your work out the pain disappears. Until the next day. LOL Usually though the worst of it only lasts the first week after that you might be achy but not so sore you don't want to move. I actually look forward to the day after my lifts now because it is just enough ache that I know I did a good job working the muscle.
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    Oh, boy...I am seriously worried I overdid it. I can barely move, and as the workout progressed today the pain got so bad I had to stop for fear of crying in the gym (SO not cool). : ( I warmed up on the stationary bike and then did lots of stretches and took my time through the workout. My quads are the real problem. I can barely get up off the couch...I know people say that all the time after a workout, but I really can barely get up off the couch or walk up the stairs. I did a bunch of stretching after my workout, too, just to help with the pain. I'm a little panicky because I'm a nanny for 2 year old twin girls and I pick them up all day long and I'm concerned that I won't be able to pick up the girls tomorrow. I hate to sound whiney - I actually have worked out before in my life with a trainer (fairly hard-core, I thought...I looked great!), but I've never had muscle soreness like this. If I feel this bad after the workout what will I feel like on day 1 or day 2 AFTER the workout. Oy! : / I'm drinking lots of water and I'm going to take ibuprofen and an epsom salt bath, but are there any other recommendations? Being unable to move after my workouts was NOT what I envisioned when I started this NROL4W program. Pain? Yes. Inability to move? Definitely not. I'm feeling SUPER defeated right now. :*(

Okay, I'm done crying like a little baby now. Suggestions for pain management/muscle recovery would be great, though.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Tylenol
    Take BCAA and Glutamine daily.
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    BCAA and Glutamine are things I can get at the health food store? I haven't heard of them before.

I don't have any tylenol, so ibuprofen will have to do. At least for tonight. Thank you for the tips!