raising your metabolism a myth? huh?

Options
turningstar
turningstar Posts: 393 Member
I was on a post yesterday where someone said they were hungrier if they ate breakfast in the morning, than if they didn't. I responded that by eating more often, your metabolism gets fired up, which helps with weight loss. I wasn't the only one to reply this. Quite a few people responded by saying that raising your metabolism is a myth and someone said that if you don't eat for 48 hours, your metabolism actually raises. Im completely confused. Can someone clear this up logically?

Replies

• scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was on a post yesterday where someone said they were hungrier if they ate breakfast in the morning, than if they didn't. I responded that by eating more often, your metabolism gets fired up, which helps with weight loss. I wasn't the only one to reply this. Quite a few people responded by saying that raising your metabolism is a myth and someone said that if you don't eat for 48 hours, your metabolism actually raises. Im completely confused. Can someone clear this up logically?
    studies have shown it's not the amount of feedings, but the amount of food that increases your metabolism. The size of a meal affects the thermic effect which is how much your body burns to digest a meal. The larger the meal the more TEF. Alot of people think eating more often increases metabolism, it does not, it''s increasing your intake that does this. I can list many studies about this. Also the reason you not feel as hungry if you stop eating breakfast is because your body gets used to when you eat and if you stop eating at breakfast you will get used to that and not be as hungry. This is part of the intermittent fasting diet that is going around. I tried it, but I found for me I did not like eating most of my calories in just a few hours. I like to spread them out during the day. Either way can worki tho.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are designed to slow down for times of famine, metabolism slows when you don't eat for 48 hours because it thinks it's starving and is hanging on to as much as possible. Saying that it speeds up after 48 hours doesn't even make sense.

I can't even read those other boards anymore.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are designed to slow down for times of famine, metabolism slows when you don't eat for 48 hours because it thinks it's starving and is hanging on to as much as possible. Saying that it speeds up after 48 hours doesn't even make sense.

I can't even read those other boards anymore.
    It will actually spread up in the first days of fasting. It has been theorised that it is a way for your body to make surely you get up your behind and go hunt. Metabolism will slow down after a few days then to preserve energy.

It is based on science. It is not for everyone but fasting is not starving. I do IF and eat 2000 calories a day
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Yes, it might speed up in the first few days. I said it slows down AFTER 48 hours. I don't know if 48 hours is a magic number but your metabolism does slow down after fasting for several days.

I misread the OP, I thought she was saying it speeds up after 48 hours which is why I said that.

I don't know much about intermittent fasting....except that it's not for me.
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    studies have shown it's not the amount of feedings, but the amount of food that increases your metabolism. The size of a meal affects the thermic effect which is how much your body burns to digest a meal. The larger the meal the more TEF. Alot of people think eating more often increases metabolism, it does not, it''s increasing your intake that does this. I can list many studies about this. Also the reason you not feel as hungry if you stop eating breakfast is because your body gets used to when you eat and if you stop eating at breakfast you will get used to that and not be as hungry. This is part of the intermittent fasting diet that is going around. I tried it, but I found for me I did not like eating most of my calories in just a few hours. I like to spread them out during the day. Either way can worki tho.

^ This

Intermittent fasting of either the Eat Stop Eat (ESE) variety or the Leangains variety have been studied heavily and have many benefits if it's up your alley. Any intermittent faster who knows what they're doing would never tell say it's a good idea to go 3 days without food, especially on a regular basis. It's all about the QUANTITY and QUALITY of food.