How is TDEE -15% any different?

Options
ouandi
ouandi Posts: 135 Member
I'm getting pretty technical here but how is TDEE-15% any different than what MFP does? Why can't you just take your BMR add back your daily lifestyle calories, eat your exercise calories then take a small deficit? It's the same thing correct?

The reason why I'm asking is because my weeks are dramatically different from the next. One week I exercise five times and the next week it's only once. For me using my BMR plus lifestyle would be better so I don't eat too many calories on weeks where I don't exercise as much and have a lower TDEE.

Am I thinking about this wrong or am I correct in my statements?

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    If you are not consistent with your exercise then I think you're right. Maybe kiki or Lucia will have a different answer though.

I started off eating just above my BMR (which is TDEE set at sedentary) and eating back exercise calories because I was worried about consistency with exercise as well but it turns out I actually am more consistent then I thought so I will be switching to a steady amount of calories every day (switching TDEE to light exercise and subtracting 15%).

The reason they recommend eating the same amount of calories every day is to create consistency so your body will get used to you feeding it.

So I would run your numbers with TDEE at sedentary and then eat back your exercise calories since you aren't consistent with the the exercise.

But wait for someone else to respond in case I'm wrong :smile:
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I wish I could be more consistent with exercise but it's just not going to happen until my kids are a little older and in school. I am not sedentary though. I'm a stay-at-home mom so rarely get to sit except in the evenings! I also never, ever eat 1200 calories so my body is certainly used to feeding it! I'm currently trying to eat 1670 calories but usually go over a bit. I'm not losing so I'm thinking I should refeed my exercise calories on the days I work out and stay at 1670 for the days I don't.

Does this sound correct?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you were not a 1200 calorie person. Technically speaking what you are saying is correct, the body needs a certain amount of fuel based on activity and you could handle in the manner you stated.

The reason we go with this formula is for sake of consistency and ease. It is hard enough to get people to eat more first and foremost, so to get people on board to eat more and do it consistently, that formula takes all the guess work out. You exercise "this" much weekly....calculation...then eat "this" much daily. Then do so consistently, is the next huge factor. When a person has low caled for so long, the body will initially think that it is just a binge cycle, so that is why we don't want a person to eat higher for a couple weeks, then drop down then bounce back up...we want the body to get consistent fuel so the body will trust the food will be ongoing to start releasing the fat...

Hope that clears things up:-)