Using the !5% reduction of TDEE just for Weight Lifters?

Rennae9
Rennae9 Posts: 61 Member
I am mostly a cardio gal. Walking around the block kind of thing. I have tried to incorporate free weights into my workouts but not sure how until I research some more.

I understand the TDEE vs. BMR concept.

My BMR is 1433

Reduced TDEE is 1889

I have been on the stupid 1200 a day eat back your exercise calories, which I haven't been doing every day. I have lost 9lbs so I am happy with the results but I know its not healthy and want to make certain I do this the right way.

It seems like the "Eat more to weigh less" people talk about weights a lot. I was just wondering can this also be helpful for us cardio people.

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Hi there, weights are helpful for everyone! You get fast results from lifting heavy weights.

BUT you don't have to be lifting weights or even do cardio to be able to eat more. A 15% deficit is recommended for most people. If you have a lot to lose than 20% can be used for a while.
  • Rennae9
    Thanks for the reply. I really want to start using my weights. The hard part for me is figuring out which sets to do. So glad I don't have to eat just 1200 a day anymore!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Weight should be mandatory for everyone :) They rock so hard at whipping your body into shape, and shredding fat.

With that said we all use the New rule of lifting for women book (well everyone except me, since I am a dude).

I heard good things about it, and a lot of the ladies swear by it. I would check it out!

And the 15% reduction is for everyone also.

You are just creating a healthy calorie deficit in your body to lose weight, regardless of the type of exercise.
  • Rennae9
    I have upped my calories. I have started lifting but it is very hard to reach my TDEE 15% reduction number. I just am not hungry. _______Yes you read that right______ Not hungry_____ LIfting makes me not hungry I guess. I will keep trying to eat healthy. Going to go have a healthy snack right now. :)
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    I have upped my calories. I have started lifting but it is very hard to reach my TDEE 15% reduction number. I just am not hungry. _______Yes you read that right______ Not hungry_____ LIfting makes me not hungry I guess. I will keep trying to eat healthy. Going to go have a healthy snack right now. :)

I remember saying the same about 2 weeks ago. Push for it. Consider using whole fat foods. I got used to eating my cut quickly :bigsmile:
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Just add a tablespoon of olive or grapeseed oil to your veggies or your eggs. Add an avocado and some nuts (almonds, walnuts are the best). You'll be surprised how quickly and easily you can add those extra calories in a form of healthy fats to your daily food!