Day 1 - FAIL

Options
TONYAGOOCH
TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
So I joined the group yesterday. Calculated my BMR and TDEE using the Scobby website and also on MFP. Scobby says my BMR is 1467 and MFP says it's 1416. Scobby says my TDEE is 2017 and MFP says 1916. SO......I just set my calorie goal to MFP's BMR of 1416 and try to eat my exercise calories back. Now I am upping my calories from 1270 to 1416. Well, I thought I was doing pretty good yesterday but by the time I got home, changed into my workout clothes, ate dinner, picked up my kids, went to the gym and came home it was too late to eat anything else and I had somewhere around 400 calories left after working out. The best I could do was eat a banana. I still had over 300 calories left over and had only netted a little of 1000 calories. But I was NOT hungry either. Crazy I know. I'm need to figure out how to eat more on workout days. I did find that eating about an hour before I worked out that I had a lot more energy. This was the first day I did that. Maybe a snack before working out then my meal afterwards. I would probably be able to eat more that way. I just hate eating so late. It's usually around 8-8:30 pm when I get home from the gym. So, yesterday was a FAIL. Hopefully today will be better. No gym cuz I have some other things that I have to get done. Still have 600 calories for dinner too. lol If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears and my diary is always open.

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Get peanuts, beef jerkey, avavados, almods or soemthing like that stat

Keep protein shakes handy, those are usually 300 cals on their own

get full fat cheese ect.

A handful of peanuts is like 170 cals.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Well how dare you not do something perfect the first time you try it. The nerve ;0)

There is no Pass/Fail here- just do what you can when you can. You'll get better and better at eating healthier amounts, you'll learn what simple things to add to your food to help you achieve nutritional goals- you will get this and you'll be great at it. It might just take more than one day :D

My tip- BIG breakfast and lots of high calorie food. All that fat-free stuff has to go. Bring in peanut butter, nuts, cheeses, FULL FAT yogurt, yummy oils- red meat (gasp!) as well. You are now free to roam about the grocery :bigsmile:
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I learned this the hard way too. I now try to have more calories at breakfast and lunch in order to not have so much to eat later on. I think my old mindset had me saving calories in order to enjoy dinner and now I don't have to do that!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    Well how dare you not do something perfect the first time you try it. The nerve ;0)

There is no Pass/Fail here- just do what you can when you can. You'll get better and better at eating healthier amounts, you'll learn what simple things to add to your food to help you achieve nutritional goals- you will get this and you'll be great at it. It might just take more than one day :D

My tip- BIG breakfast and lots of high calorie food. All that fat-free stuff has to go. Bring in peanut butter, nuts, cheeses, FULL FAT yogurt, yummy oils- red meat (gasp!) as well. You are now free to roam about the grocery :bigsmile:

LOL...thanks. I do eat red meat. I actually always by 2% or such cheeses. I don't much care for the full fat stuff anymore but can't do the FF (yuck). I do love pb and jerky. I'll have to get some of that as my hubby loves those too. Hopefully this works for me. I'm scared to death I'm gonna gain weight. lol I no longer see food as food but as calories. Is that bad? lol
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    I learned this the hard way too. I now try to have more calories at breakfast and lunch in order to not have so much to eat later on. I think my old mindset had me saving calories in order to enjoy dinner and now I don't have to do that!

This is SOOOOO me. I rarely actually EAT breakfast. Typically a protein shake but the one I use is only 106 calories. I try to save my calories to have a good dinner with the family. Plus we are big on eating out. Especially ALL ethnic foods. I know...bad Tonya. Maybe on the weeks my hubby works (he works 7 on 7 off from 6pm to 6am shifts) I can eat bigger breakfast and lighter dinners then switch it up when he is off. lol
  • jomatho
    Options

This is SOOOOO me. I rarely actually EAT breakfast. Typically a protein shake but the one I use is only 106 calories. I try to save my calories to have a good dinner with the family. Plus we are big on eating out. Especially ALL ethnic foods. I know...bad Tonya. Maybe on the weeks my hubby works (he works 7 on 7 off from 6pm to 6am shifts) I can eat bigger breakfast and lighter dinners then switch it up when he is off. lol

I think that sounds like a good plan!
    Some people plug their food in ahead of time, like the weekend before the week, or just the night before. I can't do that because my tastes change, but maybe it would work for you. What I do find helpful is to at least get dinner plugged in kind of early, so I know what I have to work with the rest of the day. It works especially well for going out to eat since those calories are a little more unfamiliar.
  • jomatho
    Options
    Oh, and maybe beef up that shake a little with some peanut butter, healthy oil, flax or something like that? What do you currently put in it?
    Who ever thought eating more would be difficult at times? I never would have dreamed!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Peanut. Butter. :happy:
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options

Some people plug their food in ahead of time, like the weekend before the week, or just the night before. I can't do that because my tastes change, but maybe it would work for you. What I do find helpful is to at least get dinner plugged in kind of early, so I know what I have to work with the rest of the day. It works especially well for going out to eat since those calories are a little more unfamiliar.

I have tried to pre-track before. It never workds out. lol Breakfast and lunch do for the most part unless its my hubbys day off and he decides to bring me lunch. lol But he does his best to make good choices for us. Dinner is always hit and miss. We kinda fly by the seat of our pants on that one. Like I said it's easier when he's at work. When he's off though he's usually tired of being home already. But I do try to look up the NI on the websites before we order if I can. We only have a few places that are our "healthy" staples. My morning shake is just that. 1 scoop of Dymatize Iso-100 Hydrolized Whey. It's 106 calories and 24 protiens. I just shake that up with about 8 oz of water and drink it down real quick then out the door.
  • jomatho
    Options

I have tried to pre-track before. It never workds out. lol Breakfast and lunch do for the most part unless its my hubbys day off and he decides to bring me lunch. lol But he does his best to make good choices for us. Dinner is always hit and miss. We kinda fly by the seat of our pants on that one. Like I said it's easier when he's at work. When he's off though he's usually tired of being home already. But I do try to look up the NI on the websites before we order if I can. We only have a few places that are our "healthy" staples. My morning shake is just that. 1 scoop of Dymatize Iso-100 Hydrolized Whey. It's 106 calories and 24 protiens. I just shake that up with about 8 oz of water and drink it down real quick then out the door.

Maybe that shake is a good place to start adding some calories in. I take it you don't use a blender? With a blender, I would suggest adding some greek yogurt or regular yogurt, peanut butter (or any nut butter). Or maybe use milk to mix it with instead of water?
    My shakes end up being more calories, but I use a packet shake, an extra scoop of just protein powder, greek yogurt, some kind of seed like flax or chia and then sometimes frozen fruit or peanut butter or cocoa nibs depending on what base flavor I started out with. And then sometimes I mix in sliced almonds or chocolate chips if I am going for more of a smoothie/flurrie :laugh: Wow, that sounds like a lot doesn't it?
    Anyways, that gives you some suggestions to beef that shake up a little.
    Maybe other people have some suggestions for higher calorie breakfasts on the run.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    This group is so supportive!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    Thanks I may try to do something like that. Maybe an extra scoop or something. I kinda like mine a little on the runny side. Not sure if I would like it thick by putting it in a blender with other stuff but I may try it once to see. I'm a big microwave person too. lol I can nuke and egg and turkey bacon and place it on an english muffin. I tried those egg muffin things where you mix eggs and canned spinach and cheese then bake in muffin tins. They were ok but not something I would want a lot. I've never been a big breakfast eater anyway so whatever I do will be better than what I'm doing. lol
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    This group is so supportive!

Yes it is and I love that! :)
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    What I have found that works for me is to mix my protein powder with 8 ounces of vanilla almond milk. Decent protein and about 200ish calories....

And then my morning snack is greek yogurt with all bran buds....and my afternoon snack is vanilla greek yogurt with a scoop of my chocolate protein powder stirred in....kind of like a thick pudding....

Lunch & dinner are definitely tougher...and we eat out a lot too...

Weekends are my demise....so I will let you know how this one goes (given it's my first since upping my calories)....
  • drgooch
    drgooch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So I joined the group yesterday. Calculated my BMR and TDEE using the Scobby website and also on MFP. Scobby says my BMR is 1467 and MFP says it's 1416. Scobby says my TDEE is 2017 and MFP says 1916. SO......I just set my calorie goal to MFP's BMR of 1416 and try to eat my exercise calories back. Now I am upping my calories from 1270 to 1416. Well, I thought I was doing pretty good yesterday but by the time I got home, changed into my workout clothes, ate dinner, picked up my kids, went to the gym and came home it was too late to eat anything else and I had somewhere around 400 calories left after working out. The best I could do was eat a banana. I still had over 300 calories left over and had only netted a little of 1000 calories. But I was NOT hungry either. Crazy I know. I'm need to figure out how to eat more on workout days. I did find that eating about an hour before I worked out that I had a lot more energy. This was the first day I did that. Maybe a snack before working out then my meal afterwards. I would probably be able to eat more that way. I just hate eating so late. It's usually around 8-8:30 pm when I get home from the gym. So, yesterday was a FAIL. Hopefully today will be better. No gym cuz I have some other things that I have to get done. Still have 600 calories for dinner too. lol If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears and my diary is always open.

I never want to hear that come out of your mouth again missy! lol We will get this figured out! I have also come to the realization that I need to eat MORE at breakfast and lunch. We need to sit down and figure somethings out for you at work. I love you girl and you got this in the palm of your hands!!!
  • drgooch
    drgooch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Get peanuts, beef jerkey, avavados, almods or soemthing like that stat

Keep protein shakes handy, those are usually 300 cals on their own

get full fat cheese ect.

A handful of peanuts is like 170 cals.

My wellness coach at work said the same thing. The nuts have the good fat and are good for a snack. I need to get some of these to keep at work too.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options

I never want to hear that come out of your mouth again missy! lol We will get this figured out! I have also come to the realization that I need to eat MORE at breakfast and lunch. We need to sit down and figure somethings out for you at work. I love you girl and you got this in the palm of your hands!!!

Yes Ma'am! lol Love you too. We'll get it figured out. :)~
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

WOW~ The Gooches are IN THE HOUSE!!!!! :drinker: LOVE IT!!!!:drinker:

Welcome to the family, you two!!!! Now, let's eat!:tongue:
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options

WOW~ The Gooches are IN THE HOUSE!!!!! :drinker: LOVE IT!!!!:drinker:

Welcome to the family, you two!!!! Now, let's eat!:tongue:

lol...yes we are. She's my SIL and my Bestest Friend (this one was first by the way)
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    (((((The Gooch BFFs))))):heart: