Frustrated by Fads

Options
Anita672
Anita672 Posts: 32 Member
Just a little vent: I went to an appointment today and while I there the gal I was seeing mentioned she started a diet - the Hcg diet. She is eating 500 calories a day. She takes pills daily. She has lost 8 lbs in 4 days.

For someone who is fighting one pound at a time it is so frustrating to hear this!!

Vent over.

Thanks.

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Just a little vent: I went to an appointment today and while I there the gal I was seeing mentioned she started a diet - the Hcg diet. She is eating 500 calories a day. She takes pills daily. She has lost 8 lbs in 4 days.

For someone who is fighting one pound at a time it is so frustrating to hear this!!

Vent over.

Thanks.

Yeah, but I betcha she'll gain it back fast!!!!! Hang in there because you'll still be smiling when you've reached and maintained your goal!!!! :flowerforyou:

Anita
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options

Vent over.

Thanks.

Yeah, but I betcha she'll gain it back fast!!!!! Hang in there because you'll still be smiling when you've reached and maintained your goal!!!! :flowerforyou:

Anita

Exactly!!!

I would rather lose more slowly, get to eat actual food and not have to take hormone injections or pills. I also have to laugh because of course you will lose weight eating 500 calories a day, I don't even know why they bother with the HCG.

Waste of money. Waste of Time.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options

Vent over.

Thanks.

Just imagine how miserable she has to be. She may pretend that she isn't but she is. Plus like Anita said when you reach your goal you will have enjoyed your journey and she probably will have gained everything she lost back already.
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    Totally, in 3 months time she will be on another diet to lose the same 8lb again and again...

also I'm doing this properly cos I want a family in a year or too and I don't want my son or daughter to see me battling with 500kcal dieting constantly but rather treating my body and food with respect. That's my personal motivation but not a comment on anyone else's choices
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well I have to admit I have done some pretty stupid low calorie diets over the years...grasping just to get to goal. It is staying at goal that I can't seem to manage. I really feel like EM2WL is the answer :bigsmile:

'When you know better, you do better' Maya Angelou
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    I have an acquaintance that did this diet last year and guess what????..........Her *kitten* is back!

Not to be mean, but that was the place you could visually see the difference the most.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Most of the girls at work are on diets so their 'rules' are all I ever seem to hear. Diets are just short term fixes and when that girl quits, the weight will most likely go back on and then some. It's not my place to judge though. What annoyed me this week though was that during my lunchbreak, a few of the girls sat with me decided to comment on my food, "Oh that's alot of vegetables, you're not really going to eat all that are you." Just a few cucumber sticks, carrot sticks and raw green beans when half of them were sat there eating their chocolate bars like seriously!? Needless to say, I did not eat it all, I felt too guilty. Not good:/.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Vent over.

Thanks.

You have to remember that most of that is water and muscle weight not fat loss. Even if a person stopped eating for 4 days they could not lose 8lbs of fat. Remember 1lb of fat =3500 calories. So if you have a person that burns a total of say 2000 calories per day and they stop eating for 4 days that is only 4x2000=8000 calories they have lost which would equal 2.28 lbs of fat if they only lost fat and nothing else. The body does not work that way, it will shed water first, then muscle and fat mixed together in a very low or no calorie period.

Moral of this story is when you hear people losing outrageous amounts of weight in short peroids of time, rest assurred they did not lose fat. And on top of that the large amounts of muscle they do lose just makes lossing fat even that much harder due to lower metabolic rate from less muscle mass in the body.

Hope that helps you feel better staying on a healthy weight loss plan rather then a crash diet.
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    thank you for sharing! I am frustrated too! thERE IS a girl on my list that eats less than 1,200. she brags losing weight and continue to bother me on how much I've lost and how that isn't working for her. I was like.. UH.. Numbers on scale isn't important for now... BUG OFF (literally didn't say that.. ugh)

but yeah... this is lIFESTYLE.. we will reach later but in a healthy way! I am IN!
  • Anita672
    Anita672 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all! I know I am 'preaching ot the choir' but I just was so urked.

This, of course, was one example of many. Many people I know of go on these radical approaches. For a variety of reasons, I would never go on such a program (but I have done the whole 1200 calorie thing, low carb/low calorie diet thing). I did lose weight and recently realized that a almost 10 lbs have come creeping back on. Why? Because what I had done for weight loss, I wasn't doing for weight maintenance. So - shocker - I gained weight.

I am only on week 2 of eating more. I am also restricting myself to weighing in only on Mondays. I am scared and nervous. Monday is looming and I am praying I will see a loss. But, I feel good, I am not as hungry and I'm not constantly thinking about what I am going to eat when I eat. All non scale victories.

But, in the deep pit of my evil heart, I feel jealous of their 'success'. Who doesn't want a quick solution to what, in reality, is a life long problem?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I find when I think others have it easier, faster, better, prettier, richer etc- I rarely know the whole story. I always ask myself 'would I be prepared to drink from their cup?'- meaning, would I do what they do to get what they have?

They'll lose weight fast sure- but remember the pain of not eating? The frustration and soul-sucking hunger before it disappeared and left us with breaking nails and missing hair? She's drinking from that cup right now.

We serve them best by doing the right thing, being understanding and being there when they're ready to try something that will work for their health AND weight loss. I can absolutely see how frustrating that would be- and hard to hear when you're already hyper vigilant and afraid of Monday's weigh in. There is still a pressure, a 'what if?' that we all battle. I hear eventually it gets easier and I eagerly await to drink from that cup :)
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a similar experience, I have a friend that went for lap band surgery almost a year ago now and is already to goal, I have been at this for about 17 months now. I have been working my butt off exercising, she doesn't exercise. I have been diligently counting calories, macros and restricting myself when I was truly hungry and she got full on a wee little bit of food. It didn't seem fair to me.
    I just saw her recently and you know what? She doesn't look healthy to me. Her hair used to be so pretty and she had nice skin and now it's just not. I know she has lost a lot of muscle, no way around that. Sure I would like the quickness of it, but nothing else that goes along with it.
    Besides her, I have several mfp friends that are basically eating 500 calories (or worse) when you add in all the exercise they are doing. It really is no different than hcg or lapband. I have learned to keep my mouth shut though unless someone asks because they don't want to hear it. Everyone wants a quick fix and this is not it. You can have healthy or quick, but not both unfortunately.
    I choose healthy!

ETA: I am not perfect, I used to eat too little and exercise too much, but I feel like I have finally found my way. I am not judging others for their decisions, I feel like we all have to find our way in the world. Like the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water. . ."
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants a quick fix and this is not it. You can have healthy or quick, but not both unfortunately.
    I choose healthy!

This! It can be so hard to "get" this emotionally, though. Especially in modern society, every one is all about quick fixes and instant gratification. But 5 years from now, most (if not all) of the fad dieters will be right back where they started (I know from experience!) If I could stick to 1200 calories for a week, I could lose a few pounds, but the second I went much over 1200, I'd instantly gain it all back. Now I might be losing slower, but it's staying off, and if I have the odd day where I eat more than normal, I don't instantly balloon.