Need breakfast suggestions

Options
shorty313
shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
I'm ending up needing to eat like 500 cals between dinner and bedtime (which I've been managing just fine, lol) but I'd rather get more in at breakfast instead. Right now I'm usually eating a packet of oatmeal, but I'd like something more substantial, more protein, and fewer carbs if possible. Maybe like 300 cals?

I don't have time to eat at home, I eat once I get to work, so it needs to be portable and not need cooking. Micro or heating in toaster oven is ok. I was pre-making egg cups for a while, but never really got into them and kind of fell out of the habit.

Hit me with ideas!

Thanks!

Replies

• GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This recipe is from Blythe Alberg from the Cut the Fat Weight Loss Podcast. I made these with salted cottage cheese since that's all I had in my house, and I would definately recommend the no-salt one! A great high protein oatmeal pancake!

Minutes to Prepare: 5
    Minutes to Cook: 5
    Number of Servings: 1

Ingredients

1/2 cup cottage cheese (NO SALT ADDED)
    1/2 cup dry oatmeal (Quaker-style old fashioned rolled oats work best)
    1 whole egg
    dash of water

Directions

Blend all ingredients into smooth batter. If your batter seems thick, add a dash of water. If your batter gets too thin, you may refrigerate for 15-30 minutes and it will thicken. Pour onto pan or griddle just like pancakes.

Recipe makes 2 pancakes, 1 serving.

Number of Servings: 1

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 1
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 336.4
    Total Fat: 10.8 g
    Cholesterol: 261.5 mg
    Sodium: 493.1 mg
    Total Carbs: 32.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 4.0 g
    Protein: 26.2 g

I've just copy and pasted this but I have made them and reheated them in the morning using the toaster. I had fruit on top and sometimes have added some protein powder with a bit of extra water.

If you google it they have a you tube vid of the making.

Good luck
  • shorty313
    Options
    Hmm, I've never heard of no salt added cottage cheese, I'll have to look for it. What do those taste like? Thanks!

I also meant to add in my original post that I eat a greek yogurt nearly every day for PM snack so I don't really want to have another for breakfast.
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Try using plain oatmeal and adding 1 Tbs each of peanut butter and jelly. It adds some protein and just tastes really good too. I used to hate plain oatmeal, but with PB&J I love it.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    To oatmeal I like to add crushed nuts, walnuts and peanuts are my favorite, usually only need 4-5. Diced green apple, about 1/4 of the apple. Cinnamon or Nutmeg and maybe some raisins or other dried fruit. If you dice/chop stuff up in can go a long way without adding lots of carb calories. Also, adding skim milk, or other milk substitute after it is cooked can increase protein.
  • Cyanid3
    Cyanid3 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you like oatmeal, make some overnight, no cook refrigerator oatmeal that you can grab on your way out the door.
    http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!

It has Greek yogurt, (I use almond milk with protein), chia seeds, fruit, nuts... I like adding a bit of protein powder to the milk when I add it to the jar for an extra boost of protein awesomeness. It is filling, takes zero time to cook, and is scrumptious!
  • shorty313
    Options
    ooh, the overnight oatmeal looks interesting!

some great ideas here, thanks!