projects

dinosnopro
dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
I know it's a big group so far. LOL, but does anyone have any projects in the works.

I have a 460 sitting in the corner that needs a good home, but I have more Ideas than time:sad:

Replies

• jesterx888
    jesterx888 Posts: 181
    I wish I had the time or the money for a project that I actually WANT to do. Instead I have a van that needs some suspension work and trans filter and fluid change, and a jeep that needs a radiator, idler pulley, and a lift installed. I have most of the parts but they are just taking up space in the garage lately...

What I REALLY want is a bike :-)
  • dinosnopro
    I wish I had the time or the money for a project that I actually WANT to do. Instead I have a van that needs some suspension work and trans filter and fluid change, and a jeep that needs a radiator, idler pulley, and a lift installed. I have most of the parts but they are just taking up space in the garage lately...

What I REALLY want is a bike :-)

I would love to build a bike but. I like the rat type bikes. I used to really like rockets but my taste has changed as I've gotten older.

something like this one would be fun to build

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOKXrld-h4hrTlIH9uxEYcDhse_eRFPQoyX8icAbTio7y2aWZq
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Nothing major at the moment, I've got a C5 to minitub (maybe next weekend) to stuff the 335s under the back, then maybe some rust repair on the rockers of my beater truck. Pretty boring stuff.
  • jesterx888
    Nothing major at the moment, I've got a C5 to minitub (maybe next weekend) to stuff the 335s under the back, then maybe some rust repair on the rockers of my beater truck. Pretty boring stuff.

Sounds like fun to me. What is your beater truck?
  • DopeItUp

Sounds like fun to me. What is your beater truck?

2000 Silverado 1500 Z71. White RCSB. 150k faithful miles :)
  • OH_matt
    OH_matt Posts: 228 Member
    I've been in love with road racing and autocrossing forever. I did have a DD that was a pretty good autocrosser, but it died on me and finances wouldn't allow me to fix her at the time so away she went. :cry:

Since I have this road race love, I've been addicted to the Ariel Atom. But I don't have the $50-60k a new one costs. Since I am an engineer and have my own licenses of CAD programs, I used to work in a machine shop, have access to work in a machine shop whenever I want, connections with material and parts vendors, and friends at wrecking yards I'm designing and building my own street legal version. I'm still in the early stages of design and haven't quite figured out which engine set up to go with, but it's a fun long term project that will truly be MY car when I'm done.
  • jesterx888
    I've been in love with road racing and autocrossing forever. I did have a DD that was a pretty good autocrosser, but it died on me and finances wouldn't allow me to fix her at the time so away she went. :cry:

Since I have this road race love, I've been addicted to the Ariel Atom. But I don't have the $50-60k a new one costs. Since I am an engineer and have my own licenses of CAD programs, I used to work in a machine shop, have access to work in a machine shop whenever I want, connections with material and parts vendors, and friends at wrecking yards I'm designing and building my own street legal version. I'm still in the early stages of design and haven't quite figured out which engine set up to go with, but it's a fun long term project that will truly be MY car when I'm done.
    jealous........
  • dinosnopro

jealous........

^^^^^ X 2
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 416 Member
    I've been waiting for a group like this, so thank you. I'm a car fanatic, but an engine fanatic moreso. I have an 83 Mercury Cougar that had a 460 in it, but after ruining the rod bearings last year, I pulled it and am saving to build a stroked 460, probably about 545 ci. I have a 54 Ford sedan that is a cruiser. 390 FE engine, automatic, 9" rearend with 4.11 gears and a Detroit Locker, disc brakes front and rear. And I have other project vehicles as well. Here's a few pics:
    020600_175900.jpg
    IMG00006-20110525-1148.jpg
    IMG00179-20111103-1854-1-1.jpg
    pics030-2.jpg
  • tigerblood78
    Here is my daily driver: a '98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Mods include: rebuilt engine(the stock engine said 'eff you' when I pushed the nitrous button. Aftermarket camshaft, ported heads, bigger fuel injectors, better supercharger(genV eaton m90), headers, water/methanol injection, nitrous, and too many other things to list at the moment.
    cardwell007.jpg
    022709_114300.jpg

020509_170101.jpg
  • dinosnopro
    that's some good stuff Tiger.

I have a 2000 navigator it's just stock, but I found a used Kenne Bell set up for it. I would love to throw that on there.
  • jesterx888
    Wow that is a lot of purple!!!! Looks fun though
  • DopeItUp
    Nice GTP. Always loved them, they were major sleepers in their day. What's it run now? WHP or 1/4?
  • tigerblood78
    I've only run it at a 1/8 mile track. Best time was 8.15 @82 mph with major wheel spinnage. I haven't used the nitrous at the track because if the wheels do hook up off the line, byebye transmission. Never dyno'd it either, but using some of the online hp calculators I estimate it to be around 400 flywheel hp. It's my daily driver though, so I try not to beat on it too much, lol.
  • hey guys, new to fitness pal. found you guys because i have a mass of car projects that i keep sinking into. they keep me busy but I'm always looking for awsome tips. between the '02 Subaru Impreza that i keep modifing to a E86 hatch motor swap. the cars keep coming in. i just finished doing a engine swap on a 78 chevy pick up with a 350 and sold it so have to move on to the JDM side. We do autocross in the spring/summer but i want to shed a little wieght to have more energy to race. Anyways, with the E86 im looking for a coil over converter to put on the r22 motor. the only place i can seem to get from is japan. if anyone knows of any where else i could find one in the states that would be awsome!!!
  • dinosnopro
    Welome to the site and to the group.
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Some of the current maintenance projects:

DSCF4420.jpg

1980 Suzuki GS 850 L (and tail end of 2004 Mustang)

Long term 1985 Mustang GT
  • dinosnopro
    Some of the current maintenance projects:

DSCF4420.jpg

1980 Suzuki GS 850 L (and tail end of 2004 Mustang)

Long term 1985 Mustang GT

img tag has to be lower case.

Looks like some fun stuff there:drinker:
  • hiddensvelte
    thanks man. Yes it can be, taking care of family leaves little project money. :)
  • tigerblood78
    I had a 83 GR650 and a 78 GS750, sold them a couple years back. Nice, reliable bikes. What are you doing with the 83 mustang?
  • hiddensvelte
    Currently waiting for project money......

I've it parked at the side of the house. It say college abuse (reduced funds) lent it to a TALL roomate a few times who hastened the seat breaking, and has had a semi-rough life.

Looked to sell it once, but the wife said, "You can't sell my boyfriend's car!" LOL

Plans are to punch it out to a 331 (once had a 70 351 windser planned, even recent toyed with putting in a coyete) a small amount of boost (turbo or charger). Still has the 4bbl holley.

Suspension, powertrain, body, transmission......
  • tigerblood78
    Currently waiting for project money......

I've it parked at the side of the house. It say college abuse (reduced funds) lent it to a TALL roomate a few times who hastened the seat breaking, and has had a semi-rough life.

Looked to sell it once, but the wife said, "You can't sell my boyfriend's car!" LOL

Plans are to punch it out to a 331 (once had a 70 351 windser planned, even recent toyed with putting in a coyete) a small amount of boost (turbo or charger). Still has the 4bbl holley.

Suspension, powertrain, body, transmission......
    A coyote swap would be too sweet, but also quite spendy! Ever looked at a 429/460 swap? They drop right into the fox body chassis, aftermarket parts are abundant, and they make stupid power.
  • dinosnopro

A coyote swap would be too sweet, but also quite spendy! Ever looked at a 429/460 swap? They drop right into the fox body chassis, aftermarket parts are abundant, and they make stupid power.

I have a 460 and my plan is to swap it into a SN95 or S197 chassis. The 460 is ( dimensionally ) smaller than the mod motors, so they really do just fall in.
  • tigerblood78

I have a 460 and my plan is to swap it into a SN95 or S197 chassis. The 460 is ( dimensionally ) smaller than the mod motors, so they really do just fall in.
    One of my proudest moments is the photo in my ticker of my 460-powered 83 Cougar(fox chassis) beating an 04 Terminator Cobra at the drag strip. I have 5.0 badges on the car, so he was not happy that he was beaten by a "302" powered car. After the race I had the hood off to let it cool down, and he comes over and says"Damn, I've never been beaten by a 302 before!" I didn't bother to tell him it wasn't a 302. I figured, he's driving a Ford, he should know the difference!
  • tigerblood78
    Untitled.jpg

Here's my son helping me screw a 460 together.

edit: I'm having a helluva time getting photobucket to resize this pic to something that will show up here.
  • jesterx888
    Just picked up an '82 Honda Magna to tinker around with and ride in the summer...So far I have lowered the front end of it and replaced the stock bars. Next up is to clean/rebuild the carbs and possibly new pipes
  • dinosnopro
    Untitled.jpg

Here's my son helping me screw a 460 together.

edit: I'm having a helluva time getting photobucket to resize this pic to something that will show up here.

That's Great. I think more parents should get there kids involved.jill61-603505-albums-emoticons-pic61295-th-smiley-two-thumbs-up.gif&sa=X&ei=Fo8iUJLxO8XnyAGWh4D4BQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc4EQ&usg=AFQjCNHxtFJ3t2dqsYzXIRmOGvrRxopseA
  • therealsuperbigrob
    therealsuperbigrob Posts: 28 Member
    gotta be ready for spring of 13. Cars been down for 2 years. Ive been lazy and not drag racing. Ready to start the new mill. Dart block, TFS heads from TEA. Vortech YSI. Its a grudge car so not gonna let too much out. Mustang with coilovers in the front, Team Z motorsports rear. Auto with a brake. When it runs its quick enough to need a 10 point cage and a license.
  • dinosnopro
    gotta be ready for spring of 13. Cars been down for 2 years. Ive been lazy and not drag racing. Ready to start the new mill. Dart block, TFS heads from TEA. Vortech YSI. Its a grudge car so not gonna let too much out. Mustang with coilovers in the front, Team Z motorsports rear. Auto with a brake. When it runs its quick enough to need a 10 point cage and a license.

Sounds awesome. I'm still on the hunt for a mustang project. I'm torn between a classic ( 65'-70' fastback , my wife has expensive taste) restoration, or doing a big block swap in a newer ( 99' - 06 ) mustang.
  • therealsuperbigrob
    therealsuperbigrob Posts: 28 Member
    @dino
    the ups to the big block car are easy to figure out. More cubes more power, big block torque. sound good look cool in the car. easy sway. old trucks have lots of of 460's for parts. A460 blocks will handle 1000 hp.
    the down side is in a mustang that they all run hot. Cant drive on the street for long because there is not enough front facia to pull air through to keep cool. I have several guys around here with them from mild to nasty and all have the same problem with heat.