question...

Options
jbella99
jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
I am starting this today according to the scooby's counter thingy my tdee is 2700 and my (15%) is 2300 I workout 6 days a week and have a desk job. i put 5 - 6 hours strenuous as my activity. i workout about 8 hours a week at the gym. I walk a minimum of 30 minutes at least 5 days a week. I am a single mom of 2 teenagers so I am constantly cleaning and doing laundry during the week. I have a fairly large yard with flower beds that require weeding every weekend. Does this sound reasonable or too much??? Seems like alot of calories.

Replies

• rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It is a lot of calories. And it's totally reasonable. :)

Sounds about right to me. Welcome to the group. You will love it here.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am starting this today according to the scooby's counter thingy my tdee is 2700 and my (15%) is 2300 I workout 6 days a week and have a desk job. i put 5 - 6 hours strenuous as my activity. i workout about 8 hours a week at the gym. I walk a minimum of 30 minutes at least 5 days a week. I am a single mom of 2 teenagers so I am constantly cleaning and doing laundry during the week. I have a fairly large yard with flower beds that require weeding every weekend. Does this sound reasonable or too much??? Seems like alot of calories.

With the amount of your physical activity I wouldnt be surprised that you may still not be eating enough. You could eat at your 2300 for a month or so and see how that goes. You could always adjust that up a little after you see your reaction to the increase. I am not sure what you were eating prior so I have no scale of how much you are increasing calories. I beleive most people under estimate how much they burn.
  • jbella99
    Options
    You an see my diary. When I wan't working out I was eating about 1500 calories and losing about a pound a week. then I started working out and stopped. and gained and lost but I was also eating back my calories at that time. I thought eating back too many calories may be the problem but maybe not..
  • scottc561
    Options
    You an see my diary. When I wan't working out I was eating about 1500 calories and losing about a pound a week. then I started working out and stopped. and gained and lost but I was also eating back my calories at that time. I thought eating back too many calories may be the problem but maybe not..
    Your diary says your daily goal is 2700, is that correct? I didn't see any exercise added to it. As far as losing before you started working out that could just be a coincidence, such as you hit a plateau at the same time you started working out. Or you gained weight(not fat) from working out, which is a good thing although sometimes it's hard to look at it that way.
  • jbella99
    Options
    Your diary says your daily goal is 2700, is that correct? I didn't see any exercise added to it. As far as losing before you started working out that could just be a coincidence, such as you hit a plateau at the same time you started working out. Or you gained weight(not fat) from working out, which is a good thing although sometimes it's hard to look at it that way.

I put 2700 as that is my maintenance goal. I am doing the metabolic reset or whatever you call it. I did not add any exercise as I already calculated that with my tdee calculation. I have been at this for 3 years. I was on a plateau for 2 years. Finally got the scale moving in January. Started working out in February and my weight has been up and down the same 5 pounds since. This last month has been heart wrenching for me. I have tried everything. I am an emotional eater so when I feel defeated I eat chocolate by the truck load

Also I did not gain more muscle. My measurements have not changed significantly in the last 4 months.
  • scottc561
    Options

I put 2700 as that is my maintenance goal. I am doing the metabolic reset or whatever you call it. I did not add any exercise as I already calculated that with my tdee calculation. I have been at this for 3 years. I was on a plateau for 2 years. Finally got the scale moving in January. Started working out in February and my weight has been up and down the same 5 pounds since. This last month has been heart wrenching for me. I have tried everything. I am an emotional eater so when I feel defeated I eat chocolate by the truck load

I see, that makes sense now. And yes I am also a chocohaulic. I believe you can have anything you wish as long as it is in moderation. Your plan sounds good, although I noticed you are doing a ton of cardio over the last couple days. Try not to overdo that, as it really wont help you after a certain point. Burning 1000 calories sounds great on paper but the reality is it's hell on your body when you are in a calorie deficit and it means you have to eat that much more at the end of the day. I would recomemmnd 15-30mins 3x a week of intense cardio or up it to 60mins if it is just walking, which is what is recommended by most doctors for maintaining optimum health.

As an example I am 6ft and around 240. I shoot for 300 calories of cardio most days on the machine or 400 if my day has been unusually lazy. This keeps my daily burn at a constant level. More then this will not speed up my weight loss I have found. And I was in the same boat before doing tons of cardio. I have logged 1500 calorie sessions in the past which effectively made my net calories zero for the day.
  • jbella99
    Options

A very good friend of mine is a personal trainer and he recommends 60 mins of steady cardio everyday. with only intense cardio 3 times a week for optimum heart health. Protein shakes make up for the burnt calories. If I ease up on my workouts all the calculations I just did are kind of out the window.

I see, that makes sense now. And yes I am also a chocohaulic. I believe you can have anything you wish as long as it is in moderation. Your plan sounds good, although I noticed you are doing a ton of cardio over the last couple days. Try not to overdo that, as it really wont help you after a certain point. Burning 1000 calories sounds great on paper but the reality is it's hell on your body when you are in a calorie deficit and it means you have to eat that much more at the end of the day. I would recomemmnd 15-30mins 3x a week of intense cardio or up it to 60mins if it is just walking, which is what is recommended by most doctors for maintaining optimum health.

As an example I am 6ft and around 240. I shoot for 300 calories of cardio most days on the machine or 400 if my day has been unusually lazy. This keeps my daily burn at a constant level. More then this will not speed up my weight loss I have found. And I was in the same boat before doing tons of cardio. I have logged 1500 calorie sessions in the past which effectively made my net calories zero for the day.

A very good friend of mine is a personal trainer and he recommends 60 mins of steady cardio everyday. with only intense cardio 3 times a week for optimum heart health. Protein shakes make up for the burnt calories and glutamine to replenish muscle tissue. If I ease up on my workouts all the calculations I just did are kind of out the window.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add, that I do agree with Scott on the cardio aspect, at least while trying to do a reset. If in fact if your body is rebelling for not feeding it and working out excessively, then this is the time to give it a break. Your body may see the cardio as stress to the body, put out extra cortisol and cortisol makes belly fat and causes you to hang onto your fat stores. I believe the goal during the reset phase is to reduce the stress to the body, and make sure it is well fed, so that it relaxes and then when you go back into a small cut, your body will want to release some of the extra fat.
    I am sure with the yardwork and the housework, you are working your cardiovascular system just fine for now. It is only a temporary situation, and while I do agree with your trainer about being active every day, that does not mean it has to be crazy hard cardio on machines. Just walking, being active in general counts too and would suffice for right now.
    I am doing a reset, have a similar length of journey to you, and have cut out my running, HIIT or elliptical workouts. I still walk a few times a week and then there is all the housework and yardwork that I cannot avoid. It actually feels good to not stress over getting an extra cardio workout in, and my body feels so much better. Except for the sore lifting muscles, I make sure I am lifting at least 3 times a week.
    Hope that helps a little.
  • jbella99
    Options
    I upped my weight training today and took it easy on the cardio. I love cardio. it makes me feel good so I won;t completely give it up but i will ease off a bit