Eat more to weigh less newbie

Options
Hi guys..

After a long and hard run with eating issues, dieting, everything, I am ready to properly commit to a lifestyle change.
I've had an ED in the past, but I am fully recovered and PROUD!! I have been on a 1,200 calorie diet since then, and it KILLS me! I am so over it, and ready to LIVE!

I would love to have some like minded friends =).

I live in Africa on a game farm (like with lions, elephants etc) so don't have access to a gym - The most exercise I get is walking 4x a week and 2-3x a week doing at home body weight exercises. I am 5'5 (167cm) and I am 57kg. I have a goal weight of 55kg. So I am ready to do this the right way!! :)

Can't wait to meet you all,
Jacqui

Replies

• hill_dilley
    hill_dilley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Morning!

I'm also nervous newby that has been reading up on your approach and taking the plunge!

I have lost 20KG over the last 2.5years after having my son in 2010, mainly in bursts of being really good (Variety of Weight Watchers &Low carb) for about 6 weeks at a time when I have an incentive (Sisters wedding, returning to work after maternity leave) and then REALLY LONG plateaus as the approaches, although 'effective' by helping me drop 1.5 stone in 6 weeks, are not sustainable in the long term for me. Although I do not pile back on the pounds, I can maintain the drop but then struggle to start again (Usually takes me about 2 weeks to get my head round being super good again). I was average build before having my son in a size 12 top / 14 trousers (UK sizes) and have been trying to regain my pre-baby weight (70KG). I'm currently sitting at 78KG and have bounced between 78 -80KG for the last 12 months depending on how 'good' I have been. Would really like to be back to my best ever 68KG. It really hit home last November when I realised I had had my Gym membership for 12months and only consistenly lost 3KG in 12 MONTHS!!!! I have been reaching a block at 78KG where my body seems to rebound and I binge rather than allow me to drop below. I have hit it once in the last 12 months after a low carb session before returning to work but couldn't maintain it whilst at work.

Although I am not too far off my goal weight and have returned to my pre pegnancy clothes I woud really like to shift the last bit to feel better in my clothes. I have 'tried' a number of approaches but my downfall is definitely consistency (I'm eather really good....or NOT!) and know that I don't have the patience to try it for long enough before changing approach and would like to just stick with on thing that I can maintain. My other downfall is the 4pm munches that, if I don't resist, can tot-up to 800-1000KCals of all the wrong foods (Terrible, I know!) which leads to either skipping dinner or eating dinner anyway even though I'm not hungry.

Have been doing the sums:

Height: 5'8''
    Weight 78KG
    BMR:1577
    TDEE: 2081
    -15%: 1796

I have based it on 'sedentary' as I have an office job and not a serious exercise person, but need to get more consistent on that front aswell! I have signed up for this years Race for Life 5K (The last time I have run 5K was last years Race for Life!). I usually do 2 aqua fit classes a week and home DVD's (Tae Bo or Davina) but not consistently. I dont really enjoy jogging and will only go if it is nice weather and prefer to Swim. As a mum of a little one, there are too many distractions / excuses not to exercise and over the last 12months of starting Nursery, there haven't been many months in a row where either my son or myself have not been unwell with varous bugs from nursery to allow me to get into a good routine. I dont feel up to exercising when unwell, and struggle to leave him when he is unwell as it is me he wants for comfort. If my husband it then unwell, I dont go out and leave him to deal with our son if he is poorly. etc, etc, etc! (Excuse, excuse, excuse!)

If I go with the sedentaty calculations, from my reading I think I understand that, if I do exercise, I need to NET at least my BMR...am I right?

Having been a Low carb / 1200KCal person for a while I know I will probably experience an increase before I see a decrease. Can anyone give me their eperiences on this so I know what to expect?

I tried to plan yesterdays meals the night before using MFP and not sure If I can eat that much in a day (a common fear I'm sure!) but conscious that they need to be the RIGHT kind of KCals so...
    Lean protein, Eggs, Fruti / Veg, Wholewheat cabs
    NO sugar / processes / refined carbs....am I right?

Any good tips of high KCal snacks to help me up the calories the right way - aiming for 3hrly to start with.

Anyone in the same boat / starting out too or experienced that can offer good advice?

Although I have been aiming for 1200 recently, it has only been for a short time as I am more of a low carb person, on my bad days it can be over 2000 so I figure TDEE -15% will still be a good starting point to get some consistency back in my diet!

I have changed the layout and approach in my diary from yesterday so it wont make much sense before that as I hate the way it changes all the past days diaries too!

Having a look at a few diaries I have addd in AM and PM snacks which I think is a good idea and more reflective of how I eat too.

Let me know what you think!

Have also ordered NRLOFW- I see lots recommend it!

After Day 1 I have maintained so figure that is a good start! :laugh: Now the difficult part to stay away form the scales for 2 weeks!

Thanks

Liz
  • hill_dilley
    hill_dilley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi guys..

After a long and hard run with eating issues, dieting, everything, I am ready to properly commit to a lifestyle change.
    I've had an ED in the past, but I am fully recovered and PROUD!! I have been on a 1,200 calorie diet since then, and it KILLS me! I am so over it, and ready to LIVE!

I would love to have some like minded friends =).

I live in Africa on a game farm (like with lions, elephants etc) so don't have access to a gym - The most exercise I get is walking 4x a week and 2-3x a week doing at home body weight exercises. I am 5'5 (167cm) and I am 57kg. I have a goal weight of 55kg. So I am ready to do this the right way!! :)

Can't wait to meet you all,
    Jacqui
    [/quote]

Well Done Jacqui, you have come quite a way from your ED to EM2WL! You should be very proud of your journey!
    Having spent some time in Africa (Plettenberg Bay) after university I am VERY jealous of your lifestyle as SA remains in my soul! :heart:

Liz x
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me. My diary is open so some great ideas there...I love to eat!

So glad you are both here. I created a vido nd the link is in the frst topic. I suggest watching the one on TDEE Part 1 and 2 it will help you both. Its very important to choode the right activity level and to be consistent...vital.

Keep us posted