SO mad! Feedback please? Ranting ahead

Options
amsparky
amsparky Posts: 825 Member
Hi all!

I've been eating more for the past approx 2.5 months now and I am beyond frustrated!!! Last week I was at my lowest weight (again) after beginning this eating more journey. I thought "See? This proves I am on the right track!"

Then I measured myself this morning. <sigh>

I am up almost an inch in my waist and gained in my thighs and arms. The amount equals a little less than an inch, but still. I am currently doing NR and trying to build lean body mass, so I know the scale will fluctuate. I'm ok with that and have accepted this.

Here's the frustration:
I recently purchased a BodyMedia Fit which I LOVE. My average deficit is 448. I *know* this it too much for building muscle mass, so I've been trying to get it to around 250-300. I burn between 2100-2450 a day. I cut back on cardio once I started lifting heavy, but I'm still trying to fit in some miles.

The week's weight gain could be due to a lot of things: too much sodium yesterday (which I don't do often), my IBS (I don't "go" very often (1-2x a week) - I've been trying to get this figured out too), too many carbs (trying to get my morning blood sugar regulated better), etc.

I try to stay away from the scale, but I woke up feeling that I would see something good. Not so much. LOL

Here's the question: do you think my deficit is too much still? I am trying to build muscle mass, but I still have enough padding over the muscle.

I hate that when things like this happen, I micro analyze EVERYTHING. It shouldn't be this darn complicated!!! :)

Any feedback/insight/hand holding is GREATLY appreciated!! :)

PS - I'm posting this on the main board too, so it will be a double post.

Replies

• cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too much about small gains, especially waist and scale. I know I bloat terribly the next day if I eat a lot of sodium or cruddy food, but as long as I get right back on track it's gone quickly. For example, last Tuesday I traveled out of state with my mom to be with my granny as she had mastectomy surgery. We had to eat out most meals, and even though I stayed where I should be calorie wise, I was up slightly yesterday morning. But I ate well yesterday and this morning it was all gone, plus a little extra.

I can't help with the questions about cut, still learning that myself!
  • amsparky
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback cherry! Hope your grandmother is doing well! :)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey lady I so feel your pain and you are becoming familiar with why you would see gain because you mentiond them. I really like the weight tracker posted in the tdee topic bec you can note each days probable fluctuation source. You are liftng heavy so depending on lift session especially when doing legs whhheeeww you can swell and see a gain in size easy...water to repair the muscle. Please maybe track your weight each day fo 30 days so you will see your trending pattern you will literally know when you will probably be up and eventually like me not fet on too often..lol

A deficit of 200 is fine, if you want to build you can eat tdee and the heavy lifting you will still burn the fat...
  • amsparky
    Options

A deficit of 200 is fine, if you want to build you can eat tdee and the heavy lifting you will still burn the fat...

This is what I am hoping for - burning fat while trying to build a little muscle. I'm pretty muscular as it ism it's just still covered with a thin layer of frosting. LOL
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback cherry! Hope your grandmother is doing well! :)

She did fantastic, thank you! :)
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options

This is what I am hoping for - burning fat while trying to build a little muscle. I'm pretty muscular as it ism it's just still covered with a thin layer of frosting. LOL

I know what you mean on the "frosting" analogy.:wink::tongue:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from the scale, but I woke up feeling that I would see something good. Not so much. LOL

You should try harder! :D

You woke up feeling great, which led you to want to confirm that you should feel great with a tool that doesn't always reflect what's actually going on inside your body. Next time you wake up feeling great, enjoy it. Love your body. You've worked amazingly hard and achieved a lot. Don't fret about such a small amount.

Why the scale lies: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you mean. So far this week my weight has changed by a kilo. I was so excited the low day and today not so. I'm going to ditch the scales this week and just weigh Monday. Last time I got my daughter to hide them so I didn't even have a chance at a peek. Do you want to join me in ditching them this week, slowly weaning off them????