gained weight with eating right and exercise-

Options
I started exercising 6 months ago- think of Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper's type-- in my goal to be lean and fit. I was not overweight to begin with . Now, I gained 3 kilos because of that! I control my calories and exercise. I don't exercise much, just 30-45 minutes a day, and around 3-4 times a week. Im quite disturbed by this condition. they say fat turns into muscle when u start exercising. but a pound is still a pound, they weigh the same. or am i wrong? another one is, my clothes fit better now and my stomach is flatter. but the scale just go up and up...

Replies

• scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I started exercising 6 months ago- think of Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper's type-- in my goal to be lean and fit. I was not overweight to begin with . Now, I gained 3 kilos because of that! I control my calories and exercise. I don't exercise much, just 30-45 minutes a day, and around 3-4 times a week. Im quite disturbed by this condition. they say fat turns into muscle when u start exercising. but a pound is still a pound, they weigh the same. or am i wrong? another one is, my clothes fit better now and my stomach is flatter. but the scale just go up and up...

a fat pound and a muscle pound are not the same thing. Fat is light so it takes alot of it to make 1 lb. Muscle is dense and so it takes alot less to make a lb. fat=3500 for 1lb, muscle=somewhere around 600 to 800 calories to make 1lb(estimating off of nutrition packs). If you are doing as you say and clothes are fitting better, stomach is flatter what is the problem? This means you have most likely lost fat weight and put on a little bit of muscle weight. Along with that comes more water and glycogen in the muscles which also adds weight.

Have you done any measurments during this journey? I can understand the frustration with the scale, but you have to realize the scale does not know if you are fat and out of shape or musclular and in shape. It does not know if you ate a ton of carbs last nite and are retaining alot of water due to this fact.

I would recommend trying to care less what the scale says and more what your body is telling you, based off how your clothes look and feel on you now etc.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't turn into muscle. You never lose the fat molecules they just shrink. Now you can gain muscle and they can grow in size when you lift. A lb of either is a pound, but the volume of each is different. Fat takes up more space than the same weight in muscle.

Ok so it is possible to be heavier and smaller at the same time which is why we stress lifting. Take the focus off the scale and watch inches melt off.

Are you eating at 15% cut of tdee? Tdee?
  • umi40
    umi40 Posts: 6
    Options
    Fat doesn't turn into muscle. You never lose the fat molecules they just shrink. Now you can gain muscle and they can grow in size when you lift. A lb of either is a pound, but the volume of each is different. Fat takes up more space than the same weight in muscle.

Ok so it is possible to be heavier and smaller at the same time which is why we stress lifting. Take the focus off the scale and watch inches melt off.

Are you eating at 15% cut of tdee? Tdee?

its the first time o joined this forum and i was so overwhelmed with eating more to lose weight. no, i think in a week i averaged around 900-1000, which is way lower than my TDEE, which is around 1700, and -15% cut off is around 1400.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Those seem like really low numbers, most on here have a cut of 1750 and up. Also take pictures, they never lie about your progress. Again, check to see if your numbers are off.
  • Arwhite1865
    Arwhite1865 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself and take pictures instead. I haven't lost weight in almost a month, but I've lost about an inch around my waist and hips during that same time period. I'm thinking about putting the scale away altogether!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'll add that I have really not lost any weight since starting this about a month ago, but my body fat has gone down over 1% and I'm able to wear a smaller size pants. It's discouraging to me sometimes to not see the scale move, but then I look in the mirror and at a pic from a month and half ago, and I realize that I am doing the right thing. I'm sticking with it, no matter what the scale says.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I would recommend upping your calories to your cut value, at one point I was also gaining weight on an average of 1000 calories a day and some very intense workouts. Also, put away the scale and rely on your measuring tape and how your clothes are fitting, if you are swapping gaining muscle and losing fat, you are likely going to stay the same size. All that being said, in order to build muscle you have to give your body proper nutrition. Stick with it, up your calories, trust the process! Read some of the success stories!
  • umi40
    umi40 Posts: 6
    Options
    thank you for all the support! i will do my best to cut my calorie intake, and would ditch the scale measurement for good! what matters is that I feel great and confident! to a healthy, lean body!