BMR Question # 100,000,000

Options
nauticaboo
nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
So after going through a period where I was only netting 900 - 1000 calories a day, my body pretty much started shutting down. i was falling asleep at work, sleeping 9 hours at night, and was still having no energy. Then I started reading up about BMR, TDEE, and realized that I needed to eat way more than what I was eating. I did that, but I just have a few things that I need clarified.

At 29 years old, 5'9" and 216 lbs, my BMR is about 1783, so right now I have my calories set at 1800. That means I should be eating AT LEAST 1800 calories NET, right? For exercise, I am running/jogging 2-3 days/week, and doing 30DS 6 days/week, with an approximate burn of 3,000 calories per week in exercise. Most days, this gives me about 2100 - 2600 calories total, but I still end up not being able to eat enough and NET under 1800. With the exception of netting under 1800, do I have the right idea? I should be eating my base 1800 calories, in addition to ALL of my exercise calories so that I can NET above my BMR, right?

And just for the record, I'm not really into the fat2fit site, where it already takes your exercise level into account and gives you the calories you should eat every day, period. I am a scientist/engineer, so I prefer to use my HRM to get my actual exercise calories burned. Plus, I like the fact that if I had a good exercise day, I can afford to eat more, and if I had a poor exercise day, I know I have to limit myself. It's kind of a motivation/rewards system for me.

So give me your opinions. Should I be netting even more than 1800 calories? As for my daily activity level outside of exercise, I am at a desk about 50% of the work day, and the other 50% is spent walking back and forth between different labs, standing, and doing lab work. I am also a single Mom to a just-turned 3 year old, so I am solely responsible for errands, chores, and weekend activities (which usually include the zoo, museum, Farmer's market - so active activities).

Thanks for all your help!

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't aim to net over 1800. I think the goal of net 1800 is good. Eat 1800 plus your exercise calories, but yes, be sure to ensure they're accurate. I'm 5'7", 172 lbs and my goal is to net 1640 every day. I eat about 2100 calories a day to do that and the weight is coming off super fast now, even though my goal is only set to losing .5 lbs/week on the MFP calculations.
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to net your BMR, and be accurate about your calories burned. With the HRM you can see that clearly.

If you are having trouble getting more calories in the same old applies. Eat full fat products, eat peanut butter, nuts, protein shakes/smoothies, greek yogurt, etc.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just figured this out like two days ago. Figure out your BMR, from that figure out your TDEE. Deduct 15% from your TDEE that is what you are supposed to eat every day. On days you have a calorie burn and are NOT netting your BMR eat back the calories needed to NET your bmr.

After reading about it for several days I've decided to give it a try. Like you I was only netting 800-900 cals most day..So not good for you. I've from 1200 to 1400..I run 3 days a week and am adding back calories to net my BMR. Right now it seems like a lot of food but I think my body will thank me for it. Feel free to add me if you'd like.

Dawn
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i still dont get it. can someone figure out what i should be doing.

here are my stats 5'2", cw 193, want to get to 130. i workout 6 days a week for about 60 mins each time. I was at 1200 cal a day plus eating back my execise cals, but i am at a plateau.

I want to increase my cals I know what to do but not sure what cals to go to, currently mfp says 2000. eeeek?

someone please help
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i still dont get it. can someone figure out what i should be doing.

here are my stats 5'2", cw 193, want to get to 130. i workout 6 days a week for about 60 mins each time. I was at 1200 cal a day plus eating back my execise cals, but i am at a plateau.

I want to increase my cals I know what to do but not sure what cals to go to, currently mfp says 2000. eeeek?

someone please help

Your BMR is 1434. Your TDEE is 2474. Your TDEE-20% cut is 1979. You will eat 1979 calories per day. If you burn more than 534 calories during a workout, you must eat the extra calories to get back to your BMR of 1434. IE if you burn 600 calories, you will eat an additional 66 calories to get to your BMR of 1434.
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    thank you, it think it is sinking in, :laugh: i think that i have mfp set correctly
    thanks