Weight Training and Cardio cross-training

Hi...I've run 1 marathon and I'm training for my second. How much weight training do you do when you train for a marathon? Last time I feel like I didn't do enough. This time I'm lifting weights every day (lower weights at higher reps) and I'm also doing 30 minutes on a stairmaster on my non-run days to cross-train my legs. What do you do to train besides running to train?

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    It depends on what you're trying to achieve with your lifting. Personally, i started doing 4 days heavy weights (low reps, high weight) but cut down to 3 days as running intensified. if you're in the higher rep, lower weight range for muscular endurance, you can probably afford to train a bit more but you probably wont need to go every day. What training plan are you following?
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    I personally wouldn't do the stairmaster on non-run days as that's not really giving you rest. I would do something like swimming or yoga. Just my $.02.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Bottom line, when it comes to training for races we are all a "sample size of one." I might be able to run 7 or 11 days without any rest while others need a rest day after 2 days of running.

The trick is figuring out what works best for YOU.

Sort of like running shoes, the best pair is the one that fits you. To me nothing is more useless than running shoe reviews. But I digress.

The best way to train for a marathon is by running. The more miles the better, but watch out for injuries.